DrCarter2001

Physically entering the US

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Hey and how about at Chicago O'Hare? Do we go in separate lines or what?

And we also have to take another flight to Austin within 4 hours so how does that work?

We went through Chicago and we were together.

And we had a connecting flight too, you have plenty of time with your 4 hours, for us we had only 1 and half hours to catch the connecting flight, took 1 hour with immigration and stuff (basically had to wait forever for our luggage) and then had to rush for the next flight.

We went through together, and it was in Miami, so it's not the case that Miami won't ever let you go through together. We went through the visitors line.

But it will vary from time to time. The best advice is to look for a "traffic cop" immigration officer directing people into the lines, and ask him what to do. The directions of an official person who is on the scene are more likely to be correct than anybody's anecdote of what happened when they went through.

If there is nobody directing people through, you can try going through the visitor's line together. Or you can try going through the US Citizens line together. Most reports say it works either way. I've heard a few people being turned away from the Citizens line and told to go through the visitor's line, so the visitor's line may be slightly safer.

This thread is the first time I've heard of them not allowing both people to go through together. I completely believe that it can happen, but I don't think it's too common.

And don't worry about it too much. As long as you remain calm and polite, you'll eventually get through one way or the other. The worst consequence of getting in the wrong line will be that they'll ask you to go through a different line. It's not like they'll revoke your visa or anything.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

If we have family that is meeting us for the layover in Chicago, do we go through immigration first then we can meet them? We still have to catch another flight to Austin within 4 hours.

Just wanted to mention how it works in Houston on International flights. I don't know if this is a standard procedure at other large international airports. You first wait in an immigration line, then have to do the POE thing with the brown envelope in a secondary room. Then you have to pick up luggage and clear customs with the luggage. Then go recheck your luggage for the connecting flight at a separate place that is still airside in the international terminal. You have to do the clearing because your connection airport will probably have you landing in a regular domestic terminal with no customs facilites. All that might eat away at your 4 hours. I'm not even sure if people with connections actually leave the secure area or if they are just funneled to another gate while still airside.

Another thing the OP can do, that I did, is call Customs and Border Protection at the airport where you will do POE. I spoke to a CBP supervisor at Houston (IAH) airport and asked him all kinds of questions. Things like "we're going to have about 6 pieces of luggage stuffed with CDs, books, computer parts, etc. Is that going to be a problem? What if anything do you list on that landing card for customs clearance?" Just speak with the guys at your airport and clear up any concerns that you have.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Another thing the OP can do, that I did, is call Customs and Border Protection at the airport where you will do POE. I spoke to a CBP supervisor at Houston (IAH) airport and asked him all kinds of questions.
Excellent advice -- I did this, too. You can read my POE review for details.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

If we have family that is meeting us for the layover in Chicago, do we go through immigration first then we can meet them? We still have to catch another flight to Austin within 4 hours.

Just wanted to mention how it works in Houston on International flights. I don't know if this is a standard procedure at other large international airports. You first wait in an immigration line, then have to do the POE thing with the brown envelope in a secondary room. Then you have to pick up luggage and clear customs with the luggage. Then go recheck your luggage for the connecting flight at a separate place that is still airside in the international terminal. You have to do the clearing because your connection airport will probably have you landing in a regular domestic terminal with no customs facilites. All that might eat away at your 4 hours. I'm not even sure if people with connections actually leave the secure area or if they are just funneled to another gate while still airside.

I've done this several times in the past five or so years (only once with the brown envelope, though), in Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit, and Los Angeles. In my experience, the exit to US customs/immigration always dumps you out into an unsecure area of the airport, often near the ticketing counters for departing flights. After you exit customs/immigration, you must go through TSA screening to get to a gate for a domestic connection (even if it's on the same concourse where you originally arrived).

Also in my experience, the screening for a foreign flight is usually not quite to the same standards as TSA screening for a domestic flight, even if the flight from the foreign departure point to the US point was on a US air carrier. That would explain why they'd want you to go through TSA screening before you get to your domestic connection.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Okay this may sound like a silly question and jumping the gun a little since she still has to interview with the consular, but what do we do when we get to passport control? We're entering the US together (I'm flying down for a party with her family and then we're flying back together). Since she'll have the K1 and I'll have my US passport, do we go through the "US" section or should we both go through the "non-US passport" area? Do we have to go separately or is it ok (*and better) if I accompany her?

it is not big deal.... after months of paperwork, nobody is going to stop her at the PoE ( i never heard of a case lake that)..... the worst.... you'll have to wait for her to pass inmigration.

K.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hey and how about at Chicago O'Hare? Do we go in separate lines or what?

And we also have to take another flight to Austin within 4 hours so how does that work?

We both went through the non-USC/PR line together at JFK. Easy peasy.

Yes, you go through immigration first, then you collect your bags, go through customs, then out of the secure area where you can meet your family. Don't forget that you will go through TSA screening again to get on the next flight.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.