3,014 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 hours ago, Kersac said:

Hi everyone, I have some questions that I need help with. My EAD expired last month. I did not bother much about renewal because my mind was focused on putting my evidence together for my vawa case. i finally filed my vawa case and it was received on may 18, 2018. I received a 797c receipt notice with my vawa receipt number 2 weeks ago. I went ahead to book an infopass to go and inform uscis that i have filed vawa and i have a reciept number and all. my info pass is on friday June 22nd 2018 which is 3 days away. I also sent in an application for renewal of my EAD yesterday and from my tracking it was delivered today.

Now that i have been reading about prima fascie. i am confused. my question is

1) Was i suppose to get a prima fascie before applying for renewal of my EAD?

2) If the answer to the first question above is yes, then what is the procedure of requesting for a prima fascie and what other advice would you give me going forward? Thank you all for your responses as i await them.

Prima facie has anything to do with EAD. USCIS usually issues the prima facie after 30/45 days from the date they received the I-360. Prima facie is used to apply for Medicaid and Fafsa if the person wants to study, just a few States approve food stamp with prima facie.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Inappropriate post removed along with one quoting it.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

48 minutes ago, SssMay said:

Hello everyone. I have a question which need to be ask. I received my EAD couple months ago, but I want to apply the grad school. Do I have qualify to apply the grad school? My vawa still in the processing. If you have the same situation, please give me some advices. Have a good day.

Yes, you can go to school with a valid EAD

1 hour ago, SssMay said:

Really? Beacause my lawyer told me that I cannot go to school because I have no status( only 485 pending).

Your lawyer is incorrect. You can work and go to school. It makes no sense that your lawyer tells you that you can work but not go to school. You can even apply for FAFSA (student aid) with Prima Facie. 

3 hours ago, SssMay said:

Hello everyone. I have a question which need to be ask. I received my EAD couple months ago, but I want to apply the grad school. Do I have qualify to apply the grad school? My vawa still in the processing. If you have the same situation, please give me some advices. Have a good day.

You can apply to Grad school, I am currently a 1L in law school. I applied and was accepted while my VAWA APP is pending. Some schools will ask a bunch of questions but with your EAD most will accept you and if you have a Prima Facie you may qualify for Financial Aid which is not considered during the adjudication of your i485 to determine the likelihood of you becoming a public charge. GO FOR IT!!

Edited by Military

4 hours ago, SssMay said:

For grad school you will not get any type of financial aid. You only get financial aid for undergrad for example Pell Grant which is free money. For grad school you will need to get a federal unsub or sub loan or a private loan and also you might get any grant that the school would offer to you depending on your GPA or hardship. You need to  apply for fafsa to determine how much you r allow to borrow. I will recommend you to go to the school that you plan to attend and speak with an financial aid advisor so they can guide you about their grant and the tuition cost etc.

Edited by Goyo

1 hour ago, iwillsurvive said:

Your lawyer is incorrect. You can work and go to school. It makes no sense that your lawyer tells you that you can work but not go to school. You can even apply for FAFSA (student aid) with Prima Facie. 

In my experience to get FAFSA you need social security number which means you need EAD to get social security number to apply for FAFSA, but i have been at school even before prima facie all you have to do talk to the international office and ask to talk with someone who knows immigration laws and tell them your satiation and you will just be considered as outer state student, I'm paying out state tuition till i get my ead and scn to apply for FAFSA because i just want to finish and get my degree

38 minutes ago, Goyo said:

For grad school you will not get any type of financial aid. You only get financial aid for undergrad for example Pell Grant which is free money. For grad school you will need to get a federal unsub or sub loan or a private loan and also you might get any grant that the school would offer to you depending on your GPA or hardship. You need to  apply for fafsa to determine how much you r allow to borrow. I will recommend you to go to the school that you plan to attend and speak with an financial aid advisor so they can guide you about their grant and the tuition cost etc.

Just so you know applying for grad school is no the same to applying for 4 years college. Make sure you have a strong essay that might help in getting a large grant from the school. 

57 minutes ago, Goyo said:

I think you meant you won't be able to get any form of "grant" which is correct but you'd be eligible for the Financial Aid in the form of Direct Grad and/or Direct Sub/Unsub

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
7 hours ago, sandranj said:

Prima facie has anything to do with EAD. USCIS usually issues the prima facie after 30/45 days from the date they received the I-360. Prima facie is used to apply for Medicaid and Fafsa if the person wants to study, just a few States approve food stamp with prima facie.

Thank you Sandranj and thank you everyone for all the information. I am not interested in Medicaid or food stamps. All I need is renewal of my EAD. I guess I already took the right step to apply for the renewal. I will just wait for it to go through while I will attend my info pass appoint on Friday with USCIS and have them update their records with my vawa application receipt notice. thank you all again

On 6/19/2018 at 9:45 PM, sandranj said:

It's not mandatory to submit a psychological evaluation, but when the person doesn't a police report or a restraining order then it's advised to submit a psychological evaluation.

I sent USCIS both a temporary family and criminal restraining order, a police report and a document from the District Attorney that discuss my abuser being charged for threatening me with violence and coercion (emotional abuse). Two months after I sent out my VAWA all these things got finalized and I received a permanent RO (for a few years) and he got charged.  Do you think what I sent would be enough to prove abuse along with text messages, emails and affidavits? I sent a psychological evaluation too but it was performed by a city domestic violence counselor, not a psychologist. The reason why I am asking is because it's based on one incident of threats of violence where I had to call the police on my abuser. 

Also, do you guys know about which month in 2017 cases they are adjudicating at the moment? I am a June filer.

Thanks so much for your input.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, staypositive said:

I sent USCIS both a temporary family and criminal restraining order, a police report and a document from the District Attorney that discuss my abuser being charged for threatening me with violence and coercion (emotional abuse). Two months after I sent out my VAWA all these things got finalized and I received a permanent RO (for a few years) and he got charged.  Do you think what I sent would be enough to prove abuse along with text messages, emails and affidavits? I sent a psychological evaluation too but it was performed by a city domestic violence counselor, not a psychologist. The reason why I am asking is because it's based on one incident of threats of violence where I had to call the police on my abuser. 

Also, do you guys know about which month in 2017 cases they are adjudicating at the moment? I am a June filer.

Thanks so much for your input.

I am not a lawyer or anything but I think u do have enough to prove abuse as long as u sent what uscis requests u should be fine I was a November 2016 filer n I got approved june 8th 2018 took 19 months for my vawa to be approved now I'm on deferred action for 15 months still have a while to get an interview I believe!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.