berber_wife

Father in law and sister in law visas

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not likely to be an issue in this case if he sends such documentation or does not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Greenland
Timeline

the bank accounts of friends or relatives of visa applicants mean nothing...a CO does not care about how big their house is, how many cars they own, what college they may have graduated from or whether they are self proclaimed 'honest and law abiding 'people...and the I-134 is (a) not legally enforceable and (b) not a requirement for any visa applicant  except, oddly, K1 applicants)  to present during their interview, and (c) there is no legal basis that can force a relative or friend to pay for costs of a trip by a B2 visa holder. Saying it does not legally bind the person making such a statement. Invitation letters only explain (sort of) why the applicant wants to GO to the United States; it carries absolutely no weight whatsoever explaining or promising why the applicant would depart the United States after their visit is concluded.

I am not sure why so many people believe otherwise. No one in the US, save for ICE agents, has any legal authority over someone who has been admitted to the US as a visitor for pleasure (or any other visa category,for that matter), and so any promises made in an invite letter that 'I will make sure that he/she leaves' have no value because of the lack of legal authority to make anyone do anything...no one can force another person to leave the country, much less board an airplane!

It comes down to the perceived credibility of the applicant....as well as, to some extent, the reasons that applicant may have that would compel them to depart the US when it's time.

Edited by RetConnOff

16 hours ago, geowrian said:

Nothing (again). You cannot sponsor a tourist visa. Also, an invitation letter and the other items are likely to do more harm than good. they just need to bring their evidence of ties to return home, as you noted they will do. They don't really care about why they're coming to the US so much as why they have a compelling reason to leave.

No, an I-134 should not be provided since you cannot sponsor a tourist visa.

Good luck.

Why would an invitation letter do more harm ?

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

Timeline

An invitation letter is (a) not required of any B2 applicant) and (b) is neutral at best. As I mentioned before, an invitation letter only purports to outline the reason why someone wants to GO to the United States; it has no value whatsoever as far as making any binding representation on the part of the author as to why the applicant would DEPART the United States. An invitation letter that makes grandiose promises of support, 'paying for everything' and 'making sure that he/she will not be a burden on the U.S. taxpayers' only serves to underline the fact that a support system is already in place.....in the United States..   should the applicant change his or her mind about going home. Thus, it may do more harm and certainly does no good at all.

28 minutes ago, sy1983 said:

Why would an invitation letter do more harm ?

Exactly as outlined directly above this post. :) An invitation alone won't hurt, but it won't help. And volunteering information that won't help always carries the risk of hurting IMHO...only provide what is actually required/requested/beneficial. But generally said invitation letter makes promises that imply a support network is available in the US, which is a tie to the US. It's one thing to have family here (which is also a tie), but it's exacerbated by having a family that says they will take care of you in the US...decreasing the incentive/need to leave.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

be careful, however, when not volunteering information that one fully answers the question asked...because giving partial answers can easily give the appearance of evasiveness....responding to a question with a question (other than, 'can you please repeat that?') will also cast doubt upon one's credibility....honesty, openness work better than trying to memorize answers, or worse, try to outwit the CO....

2 hours ago, RetConnOff said:

An invitation letter is (a) not required of any B2 applicant) and (b) is neutral at best. As I mentioned before, an invitation letter only purports to outline the reason why someone wants to GO to the United States; it has no value whatsoever as far as making any binding representation on the part of the author as to why the applicant would DEPART the United States. An invitation letter that makes grandiose promises of support, 'paying for everything' and 'making sure that he/she will not be a burden on the U.S. taxpayers' only serves to underline the fact that a support system is already in place.....in the United States..   should the applicant change his or her mind about going home. Thus, it may do more harm and certainly does no good at all.

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Exactly as outlined directly above this post. :) An invitation alone won't hurt, but it won't help. And volunteering information that won't help always carries the risk of hurting IMHO...only provide what is actually required/requested/beneficial. But generally said invitation letter makes promises that imply a support network is available in the US, which is a tie to the US. It's one thing to have family here (which is also a tie), but it's exacerbated by having a family that says they will take care of you in the US...decreasing the incentive/need to leave.

One can never guarantee what the visitor(s) will do. I read a post on immigrate2us where a guy's MIL was visiting and after her time was supposed to be up she refused to leave. He even tried taking her to the airport but she then threw a tantrum and caused a scene.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

One can never guarantee what the visitor(s) will do. I read a post on immigrate2us where a guy's MIL was visiting and after her time was supposed to be up she refused to leave. He even tried taking her to the airport but she then threw a tantrum and caused a scene.

Thats when you call the cops ! hehe

04/21/2016 : Married

11/17/2016 : I-130 sent ( NSO marriage certificate took forever) 

11/23/2016 : I-130 case accepted notified by email NOA1

01/27/2017 : USCIS APPROVED NOA2

02/04/2017 : NOA2 hardcopy received in mail

02/28/2017 : Case received by NVC

03/02/2017 : Agent assigned 

03/07/2017 : Case number assigned with invoice

03/28/2017 : Fees paid (IV and AOS)
04/05/2017 : DS260 online form completed
04/09/2017 : IV and AOS package sent to NVC
04/12/2017 : Requested for NVC expedite
04/17/2017:  NVC expedite approved 

04/18/2017:  In Transit 

04/20/2017: Received in Manila (may schedule for interview)
05/11/2017: SLEC -CLEARED 
05/25/2017: Interview @ Manila Embassy - APPROVED

05/30/2017: VISA on hand plus packet

06/08/2017: POE: California  

06/14/2017: Social Security card received through DS260 filing

06/24/2017: Green card received 

CRBA 

04/10/2017: CRBA sent to Embassy via FedEx 

04/19/2017: Appointment scheduled 

05/04/2017: Interviewed and approved 

05/17/2017: CRBA certificate on hand

05/26/2017: U.S Passport on hand

06/02/2017: Paid for ECC and Extension fees

06/08/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Ouch, the ultimate horror scenario.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, sy1983 said:

Thats when you call the cops ! hehe

To do what? They can make her leave the house, but not the US. You would need ICE involved, which doesn't just show up when somebody calls. :)

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

As ConOff said, invitation letters are mostly considered to be 'fluff' by COs...they have no value (though many people think they have some), and are really just a piece of paper to 'hmmm' and 'haw' over....

A CO is NOT legally bound to tell an applicant why they did not overcome 214b, because we are not in the business of 'coaching' applicants for a future application....the generic refusal reduces the chance of arguments and does not draw some sort of road map to success (i.e., getting the visa) that people could latch onto....it is best to end the interview with a question whose answer makes no sense (in order to avoid arguments)...if I have (had) decided to refuse an application, my last question would be something bizarre, like, 'what color is your car?'....an applicant is surely not going to go out and have their car repainted......but, if the last question asked pertained to their bank account, then after being denied, a lot of those applicants would go out and have a fake bank doc made, showing some larger sum of money in the bank, not realizing that we could see through that silly charade....or, their relative would call or write soon thereafter, claiming we were discriminating against poor people....but...who can argue about the merits of the color of one's car?(or washing machine....or sofa??)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

They have to prove they THEY can finance their own trip. If they don't have proof they have their win funds, they'll be denied. Sending documents that will prove they do not, in fact, have the ability to finance their trip will only make matters worse. I'm not really sure why you and your husband are having trouble understanding this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.