Melodicdreamer72

5 year validity of passport?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance and I are putting together the last of the documents for the i-129f and now I noticed that the requirement for using the passport as proof of citizenship states (on VisaJourney) the passport needs to have at least 5 years of validity. My passport will expire in 3 years. I can't for the life of me find my birth certificate. Do I need to file for a copy of my birth certificate, or I am just reading into the requirements too deeply and my passport will do? We've been together for 8 years, and while it seems like we shouldn't be in a huge hurry, I am :)...

Thanks!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Your passport will not work as a replacement of your birth certificate. If obtainable, get the certified copy of your birth certificate from corresponding department and get at least two affidavits from parents or others who know about ut birth n birthplace.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

5 years of validity doesn't mean 5 yrs until the expiration date. When the passport was issued how long validity was it for? If it was renewed, it must have been more than 5 years, mine was 10 for instance. So you're good to go. As long as your passport is genuine you don't need a birth certificate. If you're not a US citizen how could you have obtained the passport? simple answer. So don't worry and you're good there.

Edited by jandjin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiance and I are putting together the last of the documents for the i-129f and now I noticed that the requirement for using the passport as proof of citizenship states (on VisaJourney) the passport needs to have at least 5 years of validity. My passport will expire in 3 years. I can't for the life of me find my birth certificate. Do I need to file for a copy of my birth certificate, or I am just reading into the requirements too deeply and my passport will do? We've been together for 8 years, and while it seems like we shouldn't be in a huge hurry, I am :)...

Thanks!

The passport needed to be issued with at least a 5 year validity, not that it needs to have at least 5 years remaining before it expires. Passports for adults are issued with a 10 year validity. Passports for those 15 and under are issued with a 5 year validity, so there is really no worry about the issue validity. You can use it to prove your US citizenship as it is. It just needs to be unexpired, which yours is.

Your passport will not work as a replacement of your birth certificate. If obtainable, get the certified copy of your birth certificate from corresponding department and get at least two affidavits from parents or others who know about ut birth n birthplace.

This is incorrect. Please read the I-129F instructions.

From Page 4 >

5. What Documents Do You Need to Show That You Are a U.S. Citizen?

a. If you were born in the United States, submit a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate.

b. If you were naturalized, submit a copy, front and back, of your original Certificate of Naturalization.

c. If you were born outside the United States and you are a U.S. citizen through your "parent(s)", submit:

(1) A copy of your original Certificate of Citizenship; or

(2) Your Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen.

d. In place of any of the above, you may submit a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity

period of at least 5 years. You must submit copies of all pages in the passport.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Great answers…and relief folks! I thought it would be strange that my passport would be good to travel with for another 3 years and yet not good enough for proving I am a citizen of the USA. But, I was just worried about getting a request for more information since the visa process is far long enough without having any of those thrown in. I'll send out for a copy of my birth certificate so I have one going forward, but I think we have our papers complete now for the most part - need to print out a few things yet. The i-129f package should be in the mail Monday.

Thanks again to all!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Wrong

Yes make a copy of every page of the passport plus the front and back covers.....that is acceptable in lieu of a BC. It did it and all worked fine.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Thanks!

"Validity period" does not mean the same as "Valid until".

As long as the validity period (from ISSUE date to EXPIRATION date) is at least 5 years you are good to go. You do not need to send a copy of your birth certificate if you are sending a copy of ALL pages of your passport.

Good luck on your process!

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

:no: Wrong!

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I just wanted to thank everyone again for answering...so...Thank you!

Yesterday we sent out the I-129f package (with every page of my passport included as proof of citizenship)... :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.