kardcaptor2019

Question on Letter of Intent from beneficiary for k1-visa.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My question is, how does one go about making a letter of intent from my beneficiary's perspective? Is it ok to email the form to her, have her fill it out, then email back to me? Reason why I am asking is because, I am wondering if USCIS cares or not wheather a signature from her is in ink or not. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

unless they recently changed the rules they require wet signature on letter of intent otherwise they can assume it is not really from bene/BTW should be in both languages

that is why i say "do one and also get copy of documents on your visit" along with taking a blank application and filling it our before returning to the US as there is one space that name and address have to be wirtten in financee native language

USCIS won’t care about it being a wet signature for the beneficiary on the letter. They stopped issuing RFEs for that a couple/few ears ago.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

USCIS won’t care about it being a wet signature for the beneficiary on the letter. They stopped issuing RFEs for that a couple/few ears ago.

Whats an RFE?

Just now, jasonburge1990 said:

Whats an RFE?

Request For Evidence.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline

Okay I appreciate the answers but some of the answers here are contradicting? kris&me  says you do need wet sig and geowrian  says you don't need wet sig. I'm not sure what is the answer and I can't find it anywhere on the web

1 hour ago, jasonburge1990 said:

My question is, how does one go about making a letter of intent from my beneficiary's perspective? Is it ok to email the form to her, have her fill it out, then email back to me? Reason why I am asking is because, I am wondering if USCIS cares or not wheather a signature from her is in ink or not. 

Jason, I made sure my fiancee signature was wet and I also put a sticky note next to it saying it was wet. Not taking any chances.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
2 hours ago, kris&me said:

unless they recently changed the rules they require wet signature on letter of intent otherwise they can assume it is not really from bene/BTW should be in both languages

that is why i say "do one and also get copy of documents on your visit" along with taking a blank application and filling it our before returning to the US as there is one space that name and address have to be wirtten in financee native language

LEtter does not need to be in both languages 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

RapidVisa said it should be wet.  I just had him FedEx it along with his other documents I needed.  I sent him a copy over email to print and sign.  I had him print the page that needed his name and address written in Arabic too and sent that with the letter of intent, etc by FedEx.

Edited by noraliz73

Timeline
31 minutes ago, noraliz73 said:

RapidVisa said it should be wet.  I just had him FedEx it along with his other documents I needed.  I sent him a copy over email to print and sign.  I had him print the page that needed his name and address written in Arabic too and sent that with the letter of intent, etc by FedEx.

Thanks for the answer. I think we will do that as well.

2 hours ago, FernandLevi said:

Jason, I made sure my fiancee signature was wet and I also put a sticky note next to it saying it was wet. Not taking any chances.

Thanks for the insight. I figured USCIS would be picky about this.

3 hours ago, jasonburge1990 said:

The biggest thing is making sure you read the instructions entirely. Also take a look at the most common RFE's reasons

5 hours ago, jasonburge1990 said:

Okay I appreciate the answers but some of the answers here are contradicting? kris&me  says you do need wet sig and geowrian  says you don't need wet sig. I'm not sure what is the answer and I can't find it anywhere on the web

True. There is no current documentation stating that it must be wet or not, so the answers will be conflicting - one person getting an RFE doesn't mean it is required, nor does 100 people not getting an RFE mean they won't ever issue one for it.

But I have yet to see a single RFE issued in the past few years due to this reason. I have seen exactly one person report that they got it for this reason last year, but when asked for the wording in the RFE, they no longer responded...so I take that with a grain of salt.

It's better to have a wet signature than not to have it. But at the same time, I would not wait extra time to file for that reason alone...getting an RFE for this has not happened in years, and an RFE for this kind of reason is likely to only add a few weeks to the process. So if you have the money to spare and it will only take a few days longer to get it and it makes you feel better, go for it. But if you are otherwise ready to file, I wouldn't wait for the letter to be a wet signature...it's just extending your own timeline IMO.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Our lawyer said it should be wet for every form that requires signatures. We also used one letter of intent with both our names and signatures and dates on it. Don’t risk things that you can do something about it before it happens. Our petition got approved without RFEs.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Kumar01 said:

Just to weigh in.

The reason most of us are confused about the signature is because  

(1) there is a USCIS policy dictating what kind of signatures are allowed on statements

(2) the USCIS has been known not to follow them at times and issue RFEs randomly. But my guess is that it depends on the adjudicator.

Coincidentally, just a few days ago, the USCIS reaffirmed their signature policy (https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-finalizes-guidance-signature-requirements) which says that photocopied, scanned signed statements are acceptable. Meaning your letter of intent to marry is okay to submit photocopied.

The only things that they won't accept photocopied signatures are of actual forms (i.e. I-129F page 10 of 13) which asks for the us petitioner's signature. 

Let's put this wet signature question to bed once and for all.

I'll be quoting this everywhere....cause if we got 1 dollar for everytime this came up I'd be sponsoring everybody here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.