rukus2009

my fiances first week in america...,.

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

has not gone too smoothly, i think she is missing home a lot. she has a lot of family and an 8 year old sone that she left behind. her english is not very good and there are times when i can not get her to say anything, she will totally shut down and not say a word after me asking her question after question. seems like nothing here pleases her, i took her to a couple of thai resturaunts to try and make her feel a little more comfortable and when she takes tge first bite all i see is look of disssapointment.

yesterday we were able to take a little road trip and she appeared to enjoy herself, last night we made plans to shop for a cell phone and some thai basil but this morning she wlas in shut down mode again and is sleeping, she will probably sleep all day. she was dead set on a samsung phone and i tried to persuade her into a different brand which may halve angered her, im still trying to figure her and her emotions out.

we have known each other for 1 1/2 years now and traveled together 2 times for a total of 1 1/2 months together and i have never seen her in this way. she has always been happy and joyous and that is the reason i fell for her, it breaks my heart seeing her in this way. this way she acts makes me feel as though she doesnt want to be here or with me and i can not marry someone in this state and im seriously having second thoughts at this moment

the other day she was shut down also but skyped with her friend and that made her feel a lot better, same friend 9s coming here this sunday on a work visa and will stay with us for 1 month, im hoping this will have some kind of calming effect on her and i can get the friend to tell her how i feel as her english is pretty good. her friend has asked me several times if i understand her feelings and i am understanding them more everyday but it feels like she can not understand my feelings.

can she overcome this? am i expecting too much too soon?

Why is her 8 year son not coming with her to US?

One couple on VJ recommended this book to learn more about thai-western relationships and the cultural differences

The name of the book is "Thailand Fever"

The authors webpage: http://thailandfever.com/

The link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/1887521488/

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

we agreed to bring him here within 4 years, when we first started talking of her coming to america her idea was to have her mother keep the son for the 4 years, my concern was his non english skills and schooling here

i will look into this book

we agreed to bring him here within 4 years, when we first started talking of her coming to america her idea was to have her mother keep the son for the 4 years, my concern was his non english skills and schooling here

I am sure its very hard and probably somewhat depressing for her to have left her son behind and with her limited English not really being able to talk about how she feels also has to be very hard. Have you looked into her taking English classes? Also with the end of the school year not too far away why not bring him at the end or close too so he has the summer here to work on his English I am sure that is something they could even do together and even though its not getting him here next week it will be something for her to look forward too.

I really hope you are able to work through this with her it can be a very hard transition that requires patience.

Timeline

i just talked with her, a one way conversation but i told her i will bring her son fast and while she did not say anything she nodded her head yes when i asked if it will make yer happy. she nodded again when i asked if she wants to stay here and i bring her son fast. i think it was a big mistake not bringing him now but it really was her plan to bring him after and let him stay with the mother.

does anyone know if she can use her thailand passport to go back to thailand and reenter with the k1 visa or do we need to get a usa passport and what kind of timeframe are we looking at to get the us passport.

That's great hopefully it helps her adjust. She can't get a us passport until she is a citizen and will need advance parol to be able to leave and come back.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

i just talked with her, a one way conversation but i told her i will bring her son fast and while she did not say anything she nodded her head yes when i asked if it will make yer happy. she nodded again when i asked if she wants to stay here and i bring her son fast. i think it was a big mistake not bringing him now but it really was her plan to bring him after and let him stay with the mother.

does anyone know if she can use her thailand passport to go back to thailand and reenter with the k1 visa or do we need to get a usa passport and what kind of timeframe are we looking at to get the us passport.

It will be ok. I know sometimes our foreign loved ones try to think for us. That is very frustrating. Sometimes they try to agree to things that they know they don't want in an effort to make it easy for us. They, sometimes do not realize, how much we really love them and will do for them. You seem like a very good person and like you love her a lot. I wish you the best. Just remember to love her even when she is unlovable. The longer she is separated and the more idle time she has, the worse she is going to get. But remember that you love her for a reason even when she will make it hard for you to see it at times. Eventually she will understand (if she doesn't already) how you are feeling. In her mind, you are working, can get around, have family in this country, etc etc. so in her mind she can't understand why her being sad is making you sad. But love her anyway. TRust me, me and my fiance are apart right now and it is very difficult and frustrating, but I have to love him when he is unlovable and brooding (as he calls it). These are our lifetime marriages.......

K1 is one time use only. Once you use it that's it. There are some odd chances to get a K1 revalidated, but only in very certain circumstances. The typical procedure is to use the K1>marry> adjust status (file for an EAD + AP)> once the AP is granted she can return back home if she wishes and re-enter the US without problems while the green card is still in progress. Otherwise, if she left without using the K1 she would have to start completely over. If she marries you without adjusting status and leaves the US, she cannot re-enter to live with you, without obtaining a spousal visa.

Your fiancé has just had a major change in her life. Asia isn't like the US, and I'm sure her feelings of home were strong. It's hard for anyone to leave everything they know and love behind. Even my husband gets homesick. It doesn't mean she doesn't love you, afterall she left everything behind for you. But a mother's bond with her child is one of the most strongest.. she's most likely dealing with some intense sadness and depression. Food here.. even if it says it's Thai won't be like the true comfort of home. All you can do is listen to her, don't push her too hard, don't nag her. Be there to comfort her. Time and becoming more comfortable in her surroundings is the only thing that is going to help. Getting her more confident in English speaking, finding things for her to do, doing things together you enjoy, even planning your wedding. It's not going to be easy... love is not the thing that will heal this.. it's part of it, but not everything that will fix it.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Try to get her involved in the local Thai community. Consider Thai-based charities, or local businesses. If you don't know where to start, ask some of the folks at a local Thai restaurant (or Asian grocery) how your wife can get involved in the community. It will provide her with a sense of belonging, allow her to communicate with others in her own language, and hopefully. allow her to hold on to her culture and heritage. I'm sure she feels like she left it all behind. Poor girl :-(

She may also want to consider volunteering. Doing so will give her a sense of purpose and it will keep her mind and body busy and productive. Its always nice to work toward something productive.

MEETING

12 March 2012: Met Dyn at a coffee shop in Kuwait

Summer 2012: I returned home to the U.S. to prepare a way for Dyn

Fall 2014: Dyn returns home to Philippines after seven years in Kuwait

ANNULMENT

February 2014: Engaged while I visited Philippines

March 2014: Officially hired attorney and filed for Dyn's annulment in Bohol, Philippines

December 2015: Bohol District Court issues decision in our favor

December 2015: Judge sends transcript of his decision to OSG for processing

February 05 2016: OSG returned receipt and approval to district court in Bohol. CoF to be issued end of second week in February

February 09 2016: Dyn is presented with the Entry of Judgment and her Certificate of Finality via the local court.

February 15 2016: LCR issues annotated marriage certificate, and necessary documents are forwarded to the NSO / PSA visa LBC

April 19 2016: Received CENOMAR and Annotated MC from PSA via private courier. DONE! COMPLETE! FINISHED! OFFICIAL!

I-129F / K1 VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

April 04 2016: I-129F sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail

April 12 2016: Email from USCIS acceptance confirmation

April 17 2016: Official NOA1 hard copy received

July 12 2016: NOA2 Approval hard copy received

July 14 2016: Post Decision Activity email from USCIS

THE LONG WAIT (USCIS misplaced approved petition)

September 16 2016: NVC received approved I-129F petition and assigns case number

INTERVIEW / MEDICAL PROCESS

October 04 2016: Day 1 of medical at SLEC in Manila

October 05 2016: Psychiatric evaluation off-site due to psychological incapacity annulment (10 hour eval with 800 question profile test)

October 13 2016: CFO Seminar completed successfully and certificate awarded (CFO stamp not issued until visa is presented).

October 20 2016: Return to SLEC complete psychological evaluation with resident psychologist (less than ten minutes)

October 21 2016: Vaccination day at SLEC (medical finally complete)

October 25 2016: Visa interview at USEM in Manila (APPROVED)

HOMECOMING

November 19 2016: Dyn's arrival at POE Dulles IAD in Washington DC

December 01 2016: Married

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Its taken me a while to reply to this. I have been married to a Thai for 5 years, and had one relationship with a Thai before, so I think I understand what you are going though. Thai women that have lived in a village for most their life are not good at expressing themselves. "mai bpen rai"" it doesn't matter " is a big part of their culture. Maybe getting the book mentioned above ( Its written in both English and Thai) is a good idea. My wife isn't so bad anymore, but the woman I was with before would just sit and look at me with a blank expression when I was trying to get some information about her feeling,

When I am back in the states, I talk to a lot of Thais. I always ask them how it is like living there. Most always mention that they miss their close family and friends. But none of them prefer to move back. They tell me the first year is pretty hard for them. I worry a lot about how my wife will do when we move there, but she has friends now living in Austria and Finland. They talk or sms using the Line app everyday, and I am sure that will continue when we move there. Get her the phone, see if she knows about Line. She is lonely and needs to have friends to talk to, her friend coming should help a lot. Use the time to get both of them used to living in America.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm bringing my son how is 10 he does not really speak English he can answer a few questions but thats about it.

He will go to school when we get there and they will test them and support them with the English so no concerns for me I know they will learn it very fast.

The smaller then better actually.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would just relax a little man. You're talking about a huge huge transition. The son could be part of the problem, but their culture it isn't odd to be away from kids like that. I'm assuming you've been married before, could be a bad assumption. But you do know women will hold anything you do wrong against you for the entire span of your relationships. So to analyze if pushing for a different phone made her upset, well you will know someday in a fight. My wife got mad I got her a flip phone before she got to the U.S. so she would have a phone that works the second she landed. I'm sure you will get things figured out, just remember not everyone can uproot and move to another country. It will take years to acclimate, but if things are off and you don't feel right don't get married. The English thing I think is a mistake, I have been in your shoes before with girls I've dated and the allure wore off really quickly for me when you can't talk with each other. Not saying it won't work, but that is a really tough combination you through into the mix of a relationship. Hopefully all will work out for the best, any relationship only requires two things to be successful. Two people trying to make it work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The sooner he comes to the US and is exposed to English the easier it will be for him to learn English. The longer you wait the more he will have to catch up to when he gets here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.