mmsantos

Original Signatures for Letter of Intent and G-325A

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I may have not been clear above.

My signed, scanned, emailed documents were accepted with no problems. I signed in blue ink and my husband printed them out in color so you could see the difference in ink color if the appearance of any original signature is important.... Either way, it was accepted. $120 is not an insignificant amount to be sending a few pages of paper around the world.

It was quite clear. However, perhaps you missed the part where some people do send copies and they are accepted, but others were not so lucky using copies and received an RFE for original signatures. Just because yours and some others had their copies accepted does not mean everyone will have theirs accepted with no problems.

I think getting the letter of intent notarized when using a copy is your best bet in having it accepted, since a notary verifies it was indeed you signing it.

The G-325A is the one that can be signed at the interview, not the letter of intent. So, if you are sending the letter of intent with original signature and the passport photo, then you might as well just sign the G-325A too. The mail system is ####### in Mexico too, so my husband just paid the higher price for overnight mail to get the documents to me. Most people go that route and pay to mail the required documents. It is not that big of an expense or added extra time in the grand scheme of the expense and waiting times you will have with the immigration process.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just shoot me. I'll go back to waiting for the originals & picture. Safest bet even if it takes longer.

04/23/2014- Mailed I-129F petition

04/24/2014- Arrived at Dallas lockbox

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

05/01/2014- Received NOA1 hardcopy, Alien Registration # changed

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

09/22/2014- Received electronic NOA2 dated 9/19/2014

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

12/17/2014- Interview: APPROVED

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

04/06/2015- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1 for all three

04/13/2015- Received NOA1 hardcopies for all three dated 4/3/2015
04/18/2015- Received NOA for biometrics appointment dated 4/10/2015

04/28/2015- Biometrics appointment in Houston

My fiance's letter of intent was faxed over and thus forth fax was printed and sent to USCIS. And we were approved. Also it was notarized. If your letter of intent is a photocopy/scan/fax it is alright as long as it is notarized.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Though conventional wisdom on this around VJ is that original signatures are required for the letters of intent, I believe this wisdom has been rendered obsolete by explicit changes in USCIS's own policies.

When I filled out my I-129F paperwork, the instructions read:

"5.B. Provide original statements from you and your fiance(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent to marry." [Emphasis added]

Now, however, the instructions read:

"7.b. Submit evidence that you and your fiance(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiance(e)'s entry as a K-1. Evidence of your intention to marry may include a statement of intent to marry." [Emphasis added]

This change seems deliberately designed to take away the original signature requirement for the letters of intent. The problem, however, is that--as you may have heard around here or gathered from your own experiences--the USCIS is a behemoth bureaucracy that is slow to change and quick to make mistakes for which it will never be accountable. Instead of risking an RFE from an adjudicator who may have not read the policy change memo, I would probably still err on the side of providing letters with original signatures.

As far as G-325As go, I think the advice of others in this thread is on point. Original is the safest way, but they do apparently also accept copied and notarized versions, at least in some cases.

It was quite clear. However, perhaps you missed the part where some people do send copies and they are accepted, but others were not so lucky using copies and received an RFE for original signatures. Just because yours and some others had their copies accepted does not mean everyone will have theirs accepted with no problems.

I think getting the letter of intent notarized when using a copy is your best bet in having it accepted, since a notary verifies it was indeed you signing it.

The G-325A is the one that can be signed at the interview, not the letter of intent. So, if you are sending the letter of intent with original signature and the passport photo, then you might as well just sign the G-325A too. The mail system is ####### in Mexico too, so my husband just paid the higher price for overnight mail to get the documents to me. Most people go that route and pay to mail the required documents. It is not that big of an expense or added extra time in the grand scheme of the expense and waiting times you will have with the immigration process.

I was sharing my experience, which is what everyone is doing on here, no?

I was successful using a signed, scanned, emailed copy of the document, which in this day and age is an entirely normal way to complete documents. However apparently some others were not successful and received an RFE.

Given the OP's circumstances and due to the time delay and expense I would do what I did, and take the risk, such that it is (minor, imo). I would get the actual signed document mailed over normally as back up and use it in the unlikely case of an RFE. Its the fastest way forward but entirely up to the Petitioner.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I can also attest that I did not have any problems having my fiance sign the documents that needed to be signed , scanned and then e-mailed to me. I was able to print them and submit them successfully. I did get an RFE for not having the letter of intent from the beneficiary though. So dont forget to have them both.

I'm the USC.

Sent I-129F application to Lockbox 01/10/14
(regretted not sending via Express Mail)
Confirmation of receipt via email/txt on 1/17/2014 Transferred to California Center
Received NOA1 hardcopy immediately thereafter
Alien Registration Number was changed on 1/22/2014
Request for evidence (RFE)sad.png 2/21/2014 (missing letter of intent from beneficiary) I wished I had discovered VJ before submitting. Read your VJ forums and ask questions before submitting!

Replied via express mail 2/27/2014

RFE Response Review 2/28/2014

l129F Petition approveddancin5hr.gif03/14/2014

NVC sent case to Embassy hardcopy received 4/5/2014

Fiance Submitted DS-160 online.

Completed medical exam 4/9/2014

Received Police Certificate 4/10/2014

Docs submitted and scheduled interview 4/16/2014

Interview 4/23/2014 K1 Visa Approved! :dancing:

Visa in hand 5/1/2014

Arrived 7/14/14

Married 7/22/14

AOS and EAD sent 8/5/14

Employment Authorization Card received 10/4/14

AOS interview 11/14/14

Conditional permanent resident Approved 11/14/14

WRlgm8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Though conventional wisdom on this around VJ is that original signatures are required for the letters of intent, I believe this wisdom has been rendered obsolete by explicit changes in USCIS's own policies.

When I filled out my I-129F paperwork, the instructions read:

"5.B. Provide original statements from you and your fiance(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent to marry." [Emphasis added]

Now, however, the instructions read:

"7.b. Submit evidence that you and your fiance(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiance(e)'s entry as a K-1. Evidence of your intention to marry may include a statement of intent to marry." [Emphasis added]

This change seems deliberately designed to take away the original signature requirement for the letters of intent. The problem, however, is that--as you may have heard around here or gathered from your own experiences--the USCIS is a behemoth bureaucracy that is slow to change and quick to make mistakes for which it will never be accountable. Instead of risking an RFE from an adjudicator who may have not read the policy change memo, I would probably still err on the side of providing letters with original signatures.

As far as G-325As go, I think the advice of others in this thread is on point. Original is the safest way, but they do apparently also accept copied and notarized versions, at least in some cases.

Yes I recall this from another of the many threads on this topic. Perhaps the change in the instructions alleviates the need for original signatures. They are really vague about the intent statement requirement, as that is all say on the matter. I have no idea how many have received an RFE for original signatures since they changed the wording of the instructions. Perhaps they will dwindle off into none, if they are in fact easing up and lifting the requirement for the original signatures. Would be interesting to follow and learn about, but hard to research.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Timeline

Inasmuch as many members on this site insist that an original signature is required for the letter of intent, you can in fact use a high-quality and legible fax or scanned copy if you are pressed for time. We have debated this issue here before and there is nothing in the list of requirements that clearly indicates that an original signature is only acceptable. In fact the the G325a for example is a document where many petitioners forget to sign when the first submit the K1 petition. The USCIS was directed in 2005 to stop sending RFEs for an unsigned form as it can be signed during the interview. The same applies to the letter of intent, however it MUST be signed for the initial review of the petition by original or copy. What is most important is that if you use a faxed or scanned copy that it MUST be high quality and resolution or you will get an RFE.

Edited by ExExpat

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you so much for all the responses. I will share all this information with him and decide what we want to do. We should have looked more into this when we were actually physically together.

Timeline

My fiancee is also from Romania. We both researched the forms that we needed, and he printed them out and mailed them my way, and made sure everything was correct with his original signatures. It took about 2 weeks to reach me. I compiled our K-1 packet, and sent him a binder, with the exact same contents so he can see what exactly was the finished product. I also thought it would be a good idea for him to study it or to take it to his interview, when that time comes. I sent him a package, express, and it took about 2 weeks to get there as well. So I don't know why it took months to get mail from there....then again, the Romanian post office where my boyfriend is located is only allowed to pick up packages on certain days, depending on when the package arrives...lol. I wish you the best of luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Original signature IS required on EVERYTHING.

Otherwise there would be an option of e-signature (inserting image if signature od signing it by using tablet etc.)

You probably will need to sent lots of other stuff too, like translations of birth certificate, etc (because they need to have some kind of original stamps/seals/lawyer signatures/your signatures. Depends on document).

Get all that and just send it all at once =)

Even if you're living in a small town you still have an option of using FedEx and related services. Not many people know, but there's on office in every city (or in few hours of ride from nearest one) of ALL countries. There may no be official office where you can go to sent, but you can call and they will come to your place to pick up that package.

Good luck!

Timeline

My fiancee is also from Romania. We both researched the forms that we needed, and he printed them out and mailed them my way, and made sure everything was correct with his original signatures. It took about 2 weeks to reach me. I compiled our K-1 packet, and sent him a binder, with the exact same contents so he can see what exactly was the finished product. I also thought it would be a good idea for him to study it or to take it to his interview, when that time comes. I sent him a package, express, and it took about 2 weeks to get there as well. So I don't know why it took months to get mail from there....then again, the Romanian post office where my boyfriend is located is only allowed to pick up packages on certain days, depending on when the package arrives...lol. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much for responding. This makes me feel a lot better. He lives in Ploiesti and they only allow international mail on Tuesdays. So, I'm assuming your fiance also used the regular post office and not fedex or dhl, correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I also had scanned copies of the signatures for letter of intent, and I received my NOA2 with no RFEs. In my cover letter to the I129F packet, I did state that we can provide any original documents should they be required. <--that had my original signature!

That said, I really do think it depends on the adjudicator--and I'd ALWAYS go with VJ expert experience on here over newer information (even mine!), just to be safe. But if it will cause significant financial cost, and you're willing to risk the RFE, then the plan of having snail mail copies at hand later may work.

Again, I would say you're doing this knowing you've got a 50/50 chance at delay with the RFE vs 100% chance delay and cost (due to expedited post) to get the original signature. Good luck and happy journey!

2/3/14 I-129F Mailed

6/16/14 Embassy Interview--Approved!!!!

7/11/14 Marriage :)

7/25/14 AOS + Work Authorization Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

7/31/14 NOA1--Electronic Notification

8/26/14 Biometrics Appointment--Indianapolis

9/18/14 EAD approved--Electronic Notification

2/15/15 Notice of Interview Waiver (and Case Delay due to heavy processing load)

5/5/15 RFE (Requested another certified copy of marriage license)

5/14/15 Submitted Materials for RFE

5/28/15 Greencard Approved/In Production!!!!!

My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you. - Keats

What USCIS-es you only makes you stronger.....

Timeline

Thank you so much for responding. This makes me feel a lot better. He lives in Ploiesti and they only allow international mail on Tuesdays. So, I'm assuming your fiance also used the regular post office and not fedex or dhl, correct?

I am from Ploiesti too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.