KPea

Moving to another state after filing AOS/EAD/AP

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys!

Quick question -- Im arriving into Michigan on a K1 visa in June (as well as my fiance, who currently lives in Sydney with me) and will apply for SSN and marriage licence the next day after I arrive.

We will marry two weeks later in a civil ceremony, after which I anticipate getting the marriage licence back a few days later if not immediately. When I receive this I will be sending off the AOS application (along with EAD and AP), so that will be in early to mid July 2014.

However as we are just staying with my fiance's sister in Michigan and are only spending a month there so that we can be with his family for our wedding civil ceremony, we plan on moving on to New York in August and obviously do now have an address there yet.

Is this an issue? I have to put his sister's address in Michigan on all the AOS forms, so its fine in terms of getting my GC sent there and any correspondence from USCIS, as she can always send them on to me wherever I am living.

What about when they ask for a biometrics interview? And is there an AOS interview? Would I have to fly back to Michigan to do it...and how soon do these usually happen after filing? Our case is very straightforward..no children, first marriage for both, financially stable, getting married within two weeks from POE, etc.

Thank you so much! I'm doing my best to be prepared for what seems to be the last step of the journey!

You will receive a biometrics appointment a couple of weeks after USCIS accept your forms for processing, so probably before you move to NY.

Just make sure you file an AR-11 (change of address) online within 10 days of moving: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do and make sure you select the option for "change the address of a petition currently in progress".

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys!

Quick question -- Im arriving into Michigan on a K1 visa in June (as well as my fiance, who currently lives in Sydney with me) and will apply for SSN and marriage licence the next day after I arrive.

We will marry two weeks later in a civil ceremony, after which I anticipate getting the marriage licence back a few days later if not immediately. When I receive this I will be sending off the AOS application (along with EAD and AP), so that will be in early to mid July 2014.

However as we are just staying with my fiance's sister in Michigan and are only spending a month there so that we can be with his family for our wedding civil ceremony, we plan on moving on to New York in August and obviously do now have an address there yet.

Is this an issue? I have to put his sister's address in Michigan on all the AOS forms, so its fine in terms of getting my GC sent there and any correspondence from USCIS, as she can always send them on to me wherever I am living.

What about when they ask for a biometrics interview? And is there an AOS interview? Would I have to fly back to Michigan to do it...and how soon do these usually happen after filing? Our case is very straightforward..no children, first marriage for both, financially stable, getting married within two weeks from POE, etc.

Thank you so much! I'm doing my best to be prepared for what seems to be the last step of the journey!

I agree with Hypnos,

As an Alien seeking benefits from USCIS It's not an option for you to change your address with them, it is mandatory. You need to give USCIS your new address within 10 days of moving. If you don't change your address, your USCIS mail will be sent to Michigan, your biometrics appointment, as well as any or all interviews and even uscis home visits will be in Michigan. So I recommend using the AR-11 form online and simply change your address when you get to NY.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i i were in yer shoes, i'd set up a po box in NY at a USPS post office,

then file the big AOS set right after .

Change of Address thingies are stored in Elizabethtown KY datacenter, and :

1. no other USCIS office actively checks their data when your casefile is in front of them and

2. Elizabethtown data center does not put out any PUSH to USCIS offices , no electronic notification when an adjudicator has yer casefile.

3. When things get autogenerated, like a bio appointment letter, the datacenter that generates and prints that letter DOES NOT DO VERIFICATION with the Elizabethtown datacenter.

all things considered, the safer insurance bet is gonna be a PO BOX rental in NY.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey, I moved after filing AOS, too last year. I filed AOS in the end of Arpil 2013, received NOA1 in the beginning of May, 2013, and soon after that I got an appointment leter for biometrics scheduled for June 2013, but I moved in the middle of May 2013. Before I moved, I checked with USCIS, and they told me to just file AR-11 once I have moved. Bear in mind that your spouse has to file change of address as well, using a different form called I-865. They also told me that I can use the same biometric appoint letter to go to a different biometric center than the one written on my letter. Since I filed AOS in NY, my biometric was scheduled in NY, but I went to one in South Carolina, after moving to Goergia, since I lived close to South Carolina. I double checked with USCIS after I moved to Georgia and changed my address that I can go to any biometric center. You cannot do like that for AOS interview, but for biometric, the location does not matter as long as you have filed change of address as soon as you have moved. After the biometeric, I received my EAD and my appointment letter for AOS interview at my new address.(but the first thing I received from them after moving was a confirmation letter of my change of address. If you do not receive it shortly after you have filed change of address, you'd better check with them) The AOS interview letter appointed me a USCIS center in Georgia.

I hope this information helps!! And good luck on everything!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, how about this situation....

What if the initial address you and your fiance live in is your (USC) parents' house.

Then after a month you get married and then send in your paperwork.

Then about a month later, you move out of your parents' house to an apartment and think you might only live there for a year till your now spouse gets settled with a job, but the apartment is only 10 minutes away and you parents' are still going to reside in their house and you still visit often.

At that point, do you still need to send in a change of address?

Or K-1 Visa Journey:

- November 9th, 2013 : Sent I-129f package (FedEx)

- November 15th, 2013: Check was Cashed

- November 15th, 2013: NOA1 e-mail notification (TSC) smile.png

- November 21st, 2013: NOA1 Hard Copy arrived. (Official Notification Date - Nov 14th)

- November 21st, 2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

- February 7th, 2014: NOA2 received by text & email!! (85 days from NOA1 to NOA2) dancin5hr.gif heart.gif

- February 13th, 2014 (14th in Philippines...Happy Valentine's Day Surprise Babe!!rose.gif heart.gif ): I-129F shipped to Dept. of State to receive visa #

- February 14th, 2014: NOA2 hardcopy received.... Happy Valentine's Day!

- February 21st, 2014: NVC assigns visa number. Can now schedule online, interview for fiance at US Embassy

- February 24th, 2014: Now have interview date!! (May 5, 2014 @ 7:30 am)

- February 25th, 2014 (26th in Philippines): Fiance finished medical exam & vaccinations (all in one early & long day) @ St. Luke's & passed

- February 25th, 2014 (26th in Philippines): US Embassy - Manila (USEM) receives our case & is READY for interview

- February 26th, 2014 (26th in Philippines): Able to reschedule for a March 12th interview date! Whoo Hoo!!

- March 12th, 2014 (11th in US): Fiance interviews @ US Embassy....... APPROVED!!! YEA BABE!!idea9dv.gif dancin5hr.gif biggrin.png kicking.gif

Yes; if your permanent address (essentially where you sleep at night on a regular basis) changes, USCIS must be notified.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey, I moved after filing AOS, too last year. I filed AOS in the end of Arpil 2013, received NOA1 in the beginning of May, 2013, and soon after that I got an appointment leter for biometrics scheduled for June 2013, but I moved in the middle of May 2013. Before I moved, I checked with USCIS, and they told me to just file AR-11 once I have moved. Bear in mind that your spouse has to file change of address as well, using a different form called I-865. They also told me that I can use the same biometric appoint letter to go to a different biometric center than the one written on my letter. Since I filed AOS in NY, my biometric was scheduled in NY, but I went to one in South Carolina, after moving to Goergia, since I lived close to South Carolina. I double checked with USCIS after I moved to Georgia and changed my address that I can go to any biometric center. You cannot do like that for AOS interview, but for biometric, the location does not matter as long as you have filed change of address as soon as you have moved. After the biometeric, I received my EAD and my appointment letter for AOS interview at my new address.(but the first thing I received from them after moving was a confirmation letter of my change of address. If you do not receive it shortly after you have filed change of address, you'd better check with them) The AOS interview letter appointed me a USCIS center in Georgia.

I hope this information helps!! And good luck on everything!!!

Thank you! Thats very helpful

How soon do you get the letter about the biometrics interview (and is this sent via email or postal mail?)...do you happen to know or remember if the date can be re-scheduled? I know now that you can go to any biometric office for the appointment, but if you cannot make the date they have given you, can you reschedule another appointment with them?

And how long after the biometrics appointment or filing for AOS did you get an interview notice for the AOS interview?

Timeline

Yes, no matter where you live, you have to inform USCIS of your most updated physical location. In some rare cases, they have the right to come to your house and inspect it, so they want to know the place you actually live, not where you often are. When my husband and I filed for green card, we lived in an apartment whose lease was going to expire the following month. When we moved to GA from NY in the middle of our green card process, we moved to my husband's family's house, and didn't know how long we would stay. When we moved back to NY after I got my green card, we stayed at our friend's house until we found our own place, and we still notified USCIS of the friend's address, because that's where we slept and had our belongings. Two months later, when we moved into our current house, we again filed change of address. They might wonder why we move around so often, but I'm still a college student and we try to live in the cheapest house possible, so if they ever ask, we can just give them our honest reasons.

Ok, how about this situation....

What if the initial address you and your fiance live in is your (USC) parents' house.

Then after a month you get married and then send in your paperwork.

Then about a month later, you move out of your parents' house to an apartment and think you might only live there for a year till your now spouse gets settled with a job, but the apartment is only 10 minutes away and you parents' are still going to reside in their house and you still visit often.

At that point, do you still need to send in a change of address?

Timeline

You're welcome!

I got the biometric letter about one week after I got my NOA1, so like two or three weeks after I sent our package. But I know some people get the notice way after. I believe I read on the biometric letter or something that they schedule everyone's biometric appointment according to the order in which they received applicants' packages. So if a lot of people apply for green card through marriage around the same time as you, you'll probably get the notic of biometric way after. Also, if your intitial package does not satisfy them, they will ask you for more evidence, and then you can't get biometric notice as fast as I did. I believe the letter said you can reschedule, although it's not recommended. But anything can happen in our life, like a serious accident or something, and biometric is a must to have in order to get your green card, so they can't deny your rescheduling. It's not recommended to reschedule because it will prolong your green card case. So try to go there on the scheduled date as long as it's not impossible. Also, if you want to reschedule, you should do it as early as you know you have to reschedule. Or they might think you just didn't show up at biometric.

I had my interview a little past 3 months after I filed for my green card, which was two months after my biometrics. But the length differs based on your location. I don't know if I could have my interview that fast if I stayed in NY, because when I went to infopass in western NY, they said it'd take around 5 months after filing to have an interview. But a lawyer in South Carolina said 3 months. So I think it really depends on which USCIS center you have your interview at. I believe VisaJourney had a page where you can compare the length. But again, this length will be prolonged if anything delays in the process because of lack of evidence or rescheduling an appointment.

Thank you! Thats very helpful

How soon do you get the letter about the biometrics interview (and is this sent via email or postal mail?)...do you happen to know or remember if the date can be re-scheduled? I know now that you can go to any biometric office for the appointment, but if you cannot make the date they have given you, can you reschedule another appointment with them?

And how long after the biometrics appointment or filing for AOS did you get an interview notice for the AOS interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.