aht30

Immigration Lawyer

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiancee and I are just starting this process. Looking at all of the information and compiling the pack has been our main focus.

However, the use of an immigration lawyer has been suggested by a number of friends and family.

We are both a little confused about exactly what a lawyer might be able to bring to the table. Does anyone have any experience of a lawyer helping or harming the process? Or did anyone feel it was not worth the expense?

All the best,

Nina

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'll suggest a coupla things, maybe (maybe...) help you to decide whether you need an attorney or not.

a. read the VJ guides. map the steps out on paper and pencil. See if anything doesn't make sense to you.

b. Read the USCIS web portal about the forms. Map out the steps on paper and pencil. See if anything doesn't make sense to you.

c. Practice filling out the forms, at least 5 times. See if anything still doesn't make sense to you.

d. Have any red flags? Practice writing up attestation letters about each red flag.

Now, after doing (with major emphasis on DOING ) all of the above, if you do NOT understand the forms and the process and potential red flags for your petition,

then I'd suggest getting a good IMMIGRATION lawyer. You are concerned with time, I am concerned with your 'knowledge acquisition', as knowledge is power. You can have 'it' good, fast or cheap - pick 2.

Welcome to VJ, btw - this is a GREAT DIY Immigration Web Portal, with emphasis on 'Y', and 'D'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

In my opinion, unless you have any major complications, hiring a lawyer is a waste of money and may actually slow things down.

Even if you hire a lawyer you will still be doing all the paperwork and gathering all the information.

Hi All,

My fiancee and I are just starting this process. Looking at all of the information and compiling the pack has been our main focus.

However, the use of an immigration lawyer has been suggested by a number of friends and family.

We are both a little confused about exactly what a lawyer might be able to bring to the table. Does anyone have any experience of a lawyer helping or harming the process? Or did anyone feel it was not worth the expense?

All the best,

Nina

Defintely go with a lawyer!!! It saves sooo much stress!! I happened to find a really good one. He does all the paperwork for my fiance and I, sends it in, will prepare my fiance for his interview and medical etc. Nothing is slowed down. I just received my NOA1 in the mail in my mailbox yesterday.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

I did not approach a lawyer for my case. We got approved just fine without RFE because of course we all do not know the complication of your case. E.g overstaying, crime, abuse, etc

If your case do not have complication, I suggest that you file yourself. You only need to be able to read English :P

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I'll suggest a coupla things, maybe (maybe...) help you to decide whether you need an attorney or not.

a. read the VJ guides. map the steps out on paper and pencil. See if anything doesn't make sense to you.

b. Read the USCIS web portal about the forms. Map out the steps on paper and pencil. See if anything doesn't make sense to you.

c. Practice filling out the forms, at least 5 times. See if anything still doesn't make sense to you.

d. Have any red flags? Practice writing up attestation letters about each red flag.

Now, after doing (with major emphasis on DOING ) all of the above, if you do NOT understand the forms and the process and potential red flags for your petition,

then I'd suggest getting a good IMMIGRATION lawyer. You are concerned with time, I am concerned with your 'knowledge acquisition', as knowledge is power. You can have 'it' good, fast or cheap - pick 2.

Welcome to VJ, btw - this is a GREAT DIY Immigration Web Portal, with emphasis on 'Y', and 'D'.

I second everything Darnell said.

Also, IF you do decide to go with the services of an immigration lawyer, there are many different types of services around..

There's the kind where you engage them for the entire process from filing the I-129F petition, all the way to the embassy stage, and for some even to adjustment of status/removal of conditions, etc. These types of arrangements are typically more costly, and involve the lawyer charging you exorbitant fees for basically, an administrative service (mailing in forms, etc).

There's also the kind where you can simply call in and pay per consultation whenever you have a question that you feel would be best answered by a lawyer. Much more cost effective, and low commitment.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Defintely go with a lawyer!!! It saves sooo much stress!! I happened to find a really good one. He does all the paperwork for my fiance and I, sends it in, will prepare my fiance for his interview and medical etc. Nothing is slowed down. I just received my NOA1 in the mail in my mailbox yesterday.

Forgot one more thing; if you choose to go with a lawyer go with one with a fixed payment; not one that charges you by the hour or each time you see them. The lawyer I found charges a flat-rate fee.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all of your advice.

By the sounds of it the best way for us to function will be to only use the services of a lawyer if we come across a roadblock. Especially because we are both English speaker, my fiancee used to deal with similar forms in the army and at the moment there aren't any red flags.

Such a helpful community to be a part of!

All the best,

Nina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all of your advice.

By the sounds of it the best way for us to function will be to only use the services of a lawyer if we come across a roadblock. Especially because we are both English speaker, my fiancee used to deal with similar forms in the army and at the moment there aren't any red flags.

Such a helpful community to be a part of!

All the best,

Nina

good.gif Best of luck with your petition! :)

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The process is not difficult, but it can be confusing at times. If your case is simple and straight forward, you are basically paying someone to fill out the forms. An attorney can not expedite or delay an application. (regardless what they say) The process will run it's course regardless who fills out the paperwork.

Spend some time reading threads here on VJ. Some folks had a great experience with the attorney, some not so much.

We have been doing everything our self, so far it has worked out well.

Another couple here in town paid an attorney a flat fee $4,000 for the 129 - AOS. There were issues with the beneficiary regarding an over stay and previous K-1 Visa.

Another friend found an attorney who charges per call. When he had a question or concern he just picked up the phone and got good advice for a small fee.

If you have the extra money, an attorney can take you out of the process, but this is an expensive journey as it is. I've been amazed at the hidden costs. Adding the cost of an attorney was an expense we didn't want to shoulder.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi All,

All the best,

Nina

They will help relieve you of your money.... They also usually slow the process down.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

If you do go with a lawyer, make sure they are easy to contact and approachable.

Though these are worst-case scenarios, I have read on here about people not receiving their NOA1s or 2s from their lawyers despite multiple attempts to contact them. It can be stressful when you are kept out of the loop of your own case, especially if input is needed before it can continue.

I have also read about people whose lawyers insisted they didn't need to send relationship evidence with their I-130 and they subsequently received RFEs (or their lawyer did and never told them, causing the petition to be rejected).

So yeah, don't go with the cheapest one. Go with someone with an excellent track record.

Or even better, do it all yourself so you are completely in the loop and can deal with issues as and when they arise. Chances are, this will be smooth sailing for you.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I work in law and if you have some issues that you think will arise then get a lawyer but if not do not waste your time. He won't be able to make the process any faster. All he does is do the paperwork, file it, and checks the status, that's something you can do yourself. Call on the VJ members in your UK circle and get all the answers you want for free.

Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

From someone in the k-1 process right now...If I had to do it again???? I would NOT use a lawyer. Just as people here have said. Unless you feel you may have some special circumstances. DO IT YOURSELF. Everything you need to know is right here.

My lawyer is/was very good, and I would recommend them IF someone does not feel comfortable enough to approach this on their own. BUT, be advised...ALL a lawyer is going to do is assemble your k-1 specific forms, and documents.

You have to send all this to the lawyer...why not do it yourself???

Mine charged a flat fee, and like I said...I would recommend them, no problem. But I will not be using a lawyer for AOS, and there on.

Good luck!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.