throwaway123

Husband Admitted to Marijuana Use in Medical Exam ADVICE AND EXPERIENCES PLEASE!!!

49 posts in this topic

I am a law enforcement officer, and background investigations is one of the things we do. So i can not speak for the USCIS and their methods, but tendency is - 90% of US-born citizens have used some type of illegal substance in their lives (marijuana being most popular because of ease of access and affordability). Therefore i feel more suspicious when someone reports to me that they have never used any illegal drug and feel more convinced when someone says that they did use the drug once or twice in their lives. Most of the time drug use observed in teen- years, just like many other forms of delinquency, which eventually subside as the person reaches adulthood.

With that being said, to me and to many other law enforcement and personnel management agencies, single or even few instances of marijuana use early in life is not a big deal. It raises concerns and additional questions, but it is not necessarily a disqualifying factor, If, however, person admits a drug use later in life, such as after the age of 18, that means that the person is not socially responsible and is having an addiction problem and can potentially lead to other dangerous behaviors.

So depending on frequency of use and the type of test administered, the traces of cannabinoids can be detected in the system for up to 6-10 months. So lying about it will destroy his chances to gain US entry forever. Its better to be honest and face the consequences. Im not trying to preach about how bad drugs are, but if it wasnt for them we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Good luck to you and hope everything will go good for you two.

Thank you so much for you insight. That is what I was thinking, they've got to be crazy if they think that all the people they give visas to are telling the truth when they say that they've never done drugs! Yeah we are just going to send in the medical exam and see what happens, hopefully going the route that you mentioned. That of course he would have lied if he'd known it would have cost him the visa, but you know what he didn't lie. I think that speaks more about his character. Do you think they will give us a chance to denfend ourselves or will they just give us a straigh denial?

One last thought....what if we just didn't apply? What if we just waited I dunno how long and tried applying again later on down in the road. What would happen? What are the consequences? OMG I have the medical results just sitting here. I want to know what's in there so badly. Because from what I've read here he might stand a chance if the test is negative, but there is no way to know......What would someone else do? Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Running for the petition at this point will raise more red flags ( did he panic because of something having to do with drugs .... ) a year isn't that long in the grand scheme of life. It will pass.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Still sucks major though. I hope we don't have to report to the embassy here in Lima, I want to get out of Peru. I need a break from this place. Hopefully we can do regular check ins (if needed) at other embassies......crying.gif

No matter if the drug test shows ups negative or positive, if you admit to using marijuana within a three year time period your visa will automatcially get denied. Up until recently this would result in a three year ban, meaning that you couldn't re-apply for a Visa until three years had passed. Think of yourself as lucky, because now it's only a one year ban. He will most definitely get a one year ban and he will be required to submit drug tests when you re-apply. It's a good thing that he was honest and admitted to using marijuana, because if he denied it, and then the test results came back positive, there's a chance he could've gotten a 10 year ban or lifetime ban for fraud.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello,

So we just had our interview yesterday, and everything was great everyone was super nice, and they basically told us that we just needed to get his medical exam in and he would be given the visa.

However my husband admitted in his medical exam that he had in his life smoked marijuana before. Not thinking, just being honest. So then the dr made him take a drug test. He has smoked casually here or there a few times in the past few months, and we are worried that he will test positive. However he doesn't have a problem with drugs AT ALL:

What do you think will happen? What would you recommend? Should we risk opening the envlope to see if he passed or failed? Should we be honest with the embassy? We are moving to CO where marijuana is legal, you can get it delivered to your house like pizza. We are pretty nervous and not sure what to do. Could we ask the Dr. if she failed him or isn't recommending him the visa? Get another medical exam from another dr.? Please help! Thanks!

OP no disrespect...but are U crazy...open the envelope to peek

so what if the Dr reports it , are U gonna take out those notes?

U said he smoked a long time ago ...then it was here & there, so Y

worry he should be negative right... stop' don't make excuses about

moving to Co and all that, if he gets a one year ban RESPECT his honesty

and wait....just cant believe a person would think to open that package

it says a lot.

Born & raised in the USA I have never tried a drug including marijuana

am not perfect , most all my friends smoke some still do, it was never

my interest ,, my husband smoked when we were younger I never did, I seen

a friend boil & drank it start acting stupid and fell 15 flights of stairs.

Not everyone has tried drugs in the USA

Edited by Jihana

• 5 months later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi to all.. I have the same problem here, i also admitted to the dr that i had smoked marijuana once just 4 months ago. My interview is set on March 27, 2014. My medical is finished and the result will be forwarded to the US embassy here in manila. I am ready to accept whatever the CO decision and hopefully that I will get only a 1 year ban. I just want to ask if a one year ban means that I can apply again after 1 year for a visa? Is it possible that I will be approve after 1 year? I'm planning to go back to Dubai to work there, is that make a valid proof that I am clear enough to be granted a visa after a year? If there someone here with the same experience please advise me on what to do. Do you think that the CO knows about my admission? Thanks..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You nevber know, but the Doctor should include it. If you are otherwise approved you just have to wait a year. Anywhere not in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

my sister in law and her husband used drugs occasionally most likely during college heydays and after, and they probably never disclosed this information to the medical examiner - now they live in New York with all their kids. ha ha.

its a metaphor for life: if youre honest you get rejected, if you do not divulge information like my sis in law and her husband, you get your immigrant visa. amazing!

Edited by agaymartin

my sister in law and her husband used drugs occasionally most likely during college heydays and after, and they probably never disclosed this information to the medical examiner - now they live in New York with all their kids. ha ha.

its a metaphor for life: if youre honest you get rejected, if you do not divulge information like my sis in law and her husband, you get your immigrant visa. amazing!

Oh yeah.. God bless them :rolleyes:

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

well my sis in law and her husband did not disclose that information and now theyre living in new york merrily along.

they got away with it. wondered how the US consulate wasnt able to ...anyway.

are there NVC officials reading the message boards?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Logic suggests most people forget to mention it.

Logic suggests most people forget to mention it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.