Master Semaj

Finding work as a foreigner; references?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I just had a random though, still way ahead in my process but I'm still curious.

For those of you (foreign spouses from the UK specifically too) who started looking for work once you were able to, through whatever permit/process you went through, how did employers handle getting references from you from any previous employers from your home country. Obviously there are time zone differences which make direct contact between countries difficult, but I also wondered if employers would just consider you a first time worker since that is technically what you are in the US and that your employments in your home country were, for the most part at least, not very relevant.

I ask because I wondered if it would be worthwhile asking a couple (most recent) of my employers and previous about writing and signing a written reference to take with me and send along with my resume while out job hunting and such.

Please, share your experiences here, I'm curious to hear what others have been through. :)

Current Status: AOS - Processing

Happily Married Dec 6th 2013 <3

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some have given the email address of their previous employers to communicate with ... and avoid the time difference difficulty.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Email works. So does http://www.timeanddate.com/ when calculating time zone differences for a call. Also make sure they have an up to date linked in account, and previous employers can sing the foreigner's praises on there.

Package sent to: Chicago Office

Local Office: Saint Paul, MN

Primary Filings: I0-485, I-130, I-765

Date Filed : 11 Sept 2012

NOA Date : 17 Sept 2012

Bio. Appt.. : 12 Oct 2012

EAD in Production: 14 Nov 2012

EAD Received : 24 Nov 2012

Interview Date : 12 February 2013

Approved : 13 February 2013

GC in Production: 19 February 2013

GC Received: 25 February 2013

Petition to Remove Conditions (I-751)

Date of I-751 = 28 Jan 2015

NOA Date = 29 Jan 2015

Biometrics = 26 Feb 2015

Approved = 25 June 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I personally have written references but I don't think my current boss even checked them! I got my current job through a temp agency. Got my first job through an agency as well.

I have never been asked for references for a job. Some jobs may require checking them, but not most. What field are you looking into?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I provided written references but both employers also emailed their requests.

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Interesting stuff. For the most part when I get out there and am able to work I'll be grabbing any entry level job I can get in order to get some money coming in ASAP. Most of my experience has been in retail in the UK, but I plan on getting into a technical/maintenance career, currently looking into air conditioning servicing and such things, obviously I'd need to get trained and qualified over there to do that. Either that or I'll go into interior construction and decorating which I also have experience in. I'm a pretty adaptable and capable worker so I'm happy enough to work in a variety of ways/fields, the main focus at first is to get some money together really.

Current Status: AOS - Processing

Happily Married Dec 6th 2013 <3

Hi!!! :dance:

When I obtained my first job, I supplied two testimonals (ie written references on headed paper) from two UK companies and an American reference - I worked locally as a volunteer while I was waiting for my green card. This enabled me to obtain my first American reference.

If you can, it's always good to do some volunteering as the reference can be used on your CV (ie resume). Also its good to keep yourself occupied while waiting for work permits. Fighting the boredom is essential!!! :wacko:

Redflame

ps: I also provided the names,addresses and telephone numbers of my UK references. However these were not used.

Edited by Redflame2012

My wife has had three jobs since she arrived. The first was factory worked some fellow countrywomen helped her get, but she only stayed two weeks. Then one of the jobs she applied for through a temp agency came through. That job was a 12 month contract, extend-able to 18 months if they like you, and the opportunity to apply for permanent after 12 months. Neither of these jobs looked for references, although she had some person references here, and professional abroad. After she had been at the second job for 6 months, she started looking for a better job. But now she actually had business references through a job. Her new job called all her references, and did a background check which extended to her home county. So for starter jobs, its probably not going to matter. Use some personal friends of your spouse that knows you, even list business references from back home, if you want. But they probably won't be checked.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I included 3 references with my resume and application letter. The references included their position, company, phone number and email address. I never asked if they got contacted but I was hired without a problem. I figured they could contact them via email if they wished. Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I included 3 references with my resume and application letter. The references included their position, company, phone number and email address. I never asked if they got contacted but I was hired without a problem. I figured they could contact them via email if they wished. Good luck!

Hi everyone!

I am concerned about this too. Has anyone ever attached reference letters from the home country? Is that even possible? I understand it's usually only a CV...

Timeline

Hi everyone!

I am concerned about this too. Has anyone ever attached reference letters from the home country? Is that even possible? I understand it's usually only a CV...

Yes, you add it to the PDF when you PDF your resume.

It might be common in other countries to obtain jobs based on references, but here it is not.

I was involved as a pre-screener for a job search a few years ago, and anyone who sent over reference letters without asking looked stupid, and got their resumes in the trash.

Put "references furnished upon request" at the bottom of your resume, then you can give them if they ask (and you will also know they are interested in you). Usually they want a contact anyway, not a letter pre-printed (that is not the standard here). The workplace, if interested, wants to call the person and have a chat. They know how to make international calls... it's not complex :) Alternatively, they could email, in the case of a non-English-speaking country.

I cannot stress this enough, please make sure your resume is in US-standard format, and the same for references. Don't send them without being asked.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hi everyone!

No. The job I applied to specifically asked for 3 references, just name, company, position and contact details. That's all I included, no need for an actual letter unless they ask for it.

Timeline

My first employer actually interviewed me and liked seeing my written references and the way my resume folder is organised (he could see all my qualifications and references in the one folder - which is what I take to interviews and always receives good feedback for my organisation). The second (and current job) went strictly off my resume, written references and testing scores which they accessed through my temp agency (I assume because I was never interviewed, but she did ask me to email her the documents).

International calls means I expect prospective employers to call within a very specific timeframe. There is presently a 17 hour time difference between here and where I'm from in Australia. This means that at 4pm here it's 9am in Australia, which is when business opens. Businesses close at 5pm Aussie time. That means they have one hour to contact someone. Email could work of course but the people I worked for were extremely busy and extremely hard to get a hold of, such is the nature of the business I'm in. Email is also very impersonal and some people take a while to reply. Which most employers want responses "now now now". Also, lets be honest, as time passes, in large organisations people can forget who you are, so written ones remove that risk.

I personally only attach the references if specifically requested. I don't list referees (which you guys seem to be calling "references" which is obviously the American term for referees) but I like having the references, and they're standard in Australia and I've never received a negative reaction.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.