Master Semaj

Finding work as a foreigner; references?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

You guys are great! :):thumbs:

I guess, I will just mention the references in my CV (incl. name, position, email & phone no.) and then - if i am lucky enough to be invited to an interview -will just bring all my reference letters along. Might help after all... :blush:

Is anyone working in Online Marketing here? Would love to network and get a better idea about what employers expect in that specific field or work... :unsure:

Edited by thatgirl2013

Don't list the references in your CV. That information is not included on a US resume - it's not the standard. Put "references furnished upon request" at the bottom. Seriously :)

Also don't put your age or marital status on your resume.

If they ask for references in the initial posting, then put them on a separate sheet. Also make sure to include a cover letter.

Edit: Okay, this webpage seems to have good advice and says not to put "references furnished on request." I was taught to do that and I still think it's a good idea, but this website disagrees with me (ah the internet ;)) For your information: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumetips/a/not-include-resume.htm

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Is it okay to ask for your current employer to be a reference?

I have a part-time job, my first employment in the US, and I would naturally like to add someone from this organization on my list of references so that I could have a US phone number and reference a potential employer could call. I am not planning to stay in my current job and I am sure they realize it, nor am I interested in moving up in the organization. I wouldn't ask my current supervisor, but someone that used to supervise the projects I worked on and who I know greatly appreciated me and my input, so I don't think there would be a conflict of interest on his part. However, I am wondering if this will look weird to the person looking at my reference list, that I have someone from my current job...? Would any of the USCs have knowledge and/or experience as to how to go about this (if at all)?

Also, it seems that not everyone can provide a reference - I also volunteer at the American Red Cross and asked my supervisor if she could be my US reference, but she is not allowed to give references. This would've naturally been the preferred choice over my current employer but sadly didn't work out.

Thanks for your comments and input!

-Eve

11/30/2010 I-129F package sent

5/16/2011 NOA2

5/24/2011 Medical

5/27/2011 fly over to US, stay for 2 months

8/22/2011 Visa Interview in Helsinki

9/6/2011 Visa in hand

9/23/2011 PoE in Boston

12/2/2011 Marriage!

12/28/2011 AoS sent

4/28/2012 Green Card received! No Interview :-)

Usually people don't use their current employer, because they're worried they might loose their job. But if you're not worried about that, then feel free to use them. My wife just used her then current employer as a reference for her current job. It was pretty strange because they did not call her references until after they hired her. I guess worried if her employer found out she was looking, they might let her go. I would think most people wouldn't use a reference they hadn't asked first, so that kind of surprised us. And the other question this raised was what good does calling after do, you've hired the person already, so what would they even do if it was a bad reference?

As to organizations not allowing references, I had it explained this way once by a manager of such a company. If you give a bad reference, you open the company to liability for them not getting a job by the worker. If you give a good reference and the worker does a poor job for their new company, you open your company to liability to the company that hired them. Companies that have paranoid legal staffs, often demand the no reference company policy. Its also why some employers discount references to, as why would a poor worker give a reference contact for someone who they thought would talk bad about them?

Is it okay to ask for your current employer to be a reference?

I have a part-time job, my first employment in the US, and I would naturally like to add someone from this organization on my list of references so that I could have a US phone number and reference a potential employer could call. I am not planning to stay in my current job and I am sure they realize it, nor am I interested in moving up in the organization. I wouldn't ask my current supervisor, but someone that used to supervise the projects I worked on and who I know greatly appreciated me and my input, so I don't think there would be a conflict of interest on his part. However, I am wondering if this will look weird to the person looking at my reference list, that I have someone from my current job...? Would any of the USCs have knowledge and/or experience as to how to go about this (if at all)?

Also, it seems that not everyone can provide a reference - I also volunteer at the American Red Cross and asked my supervisor if she could be my US reference, but she is not allowed to give references. This would've naturally been the preferred choice over my current employer but sadly didn't work out.

Thanks for your comments and input!

-Eve

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Usually people don't use their current employer, because they're worried they might loose their job. But if you're not worried about that, then feel free to use them. My wife just used her then current employer as a reference for her current job.

Thanks so much for your input! That's what I was thinking, if I'm not worried about losing my current job, I might as well use them for a reference. Calling a reference after hiring someone like in your wife's case, that is weird. But no harm done since she was hired, right :)

11/30/2010 I-129F package sent

5/16/2011 NOA2

5/24/2011 Medical

5/27/2011 fly over to US, stay for 2 months

8/22/2011 Visa Interview in Helsinki

9/6/2011 Visa in hand

9/23/2011 PoE in Boston

12/2/2011 Marriage!

12/28/2011 AoS sent

4/28/2012 Green Card received! No Interview :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.