DJ&L

Sending my I-129f tomorrow

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

First of all, thank you to the VisaJourney community for the assistance in getting my I-129f application in order. It's complete this afternoon and going in the mail tomorrow.

I do have a question, however. I met my girlfriend on-line on February 2nd, 2012. We have spoken pretty much twice daily since the middle of February through various means including phone, email, text messaging but primarily on QQ and instant messaging. We met for the first time in Beijing the first week of September and spent 10 great days together. Obviously I feel confident the I-129f will get approved, however, I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on getting approved at the K1 Visa level since we've only met once.

I'm 47 and my fiance is 38. She's never been married, has no criminal record and perfectly healthy. I'm divorced twice, no criminal record and have no issue with income requirements. Neither of us have ever applied for a K1 visa before. I see the only potential stumbling block the issues of having only met once. Personally, I feel confident that we should have no problem but my fiance is a Nervous Nelly and is under the impression that it's very difficult for Chinese to get approved. She's afraid we haven't spent enough time together and don't have enough pictures together. As I mentioned, she is Chinese and we'll be going through the Guangzhou consulate.

Is this a legitimate concern or not?

Thanks again!

Dave

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I met my fiancee once and applied for my K-1 visa one week after I came back from visiting her. At that point we were only dating for a little over 4 months. She got her visa September 7. You should have no problem for a genuine relationship. Wish you the best on your journey :star:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping I can get her to relax a little!

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have almost exactly the same circumstances, except a bigger age spread. So far so good. We have our interview November 6. Good luck!

January 15, 2012 met on line

April 18, 2012 met in person in Cebu

April 20, 2012 proposed

May 28, 2012 filed K1

June 6, 2012 received email K1 accepted.

August 28, 2012 NOA2 approved!!!!!!!

September 21, 2012 went back for vist number 2

Had a wonderful time!

Interview set for November 6

Flying out November 3 to be together

Arrived November 4

November 6, 2013 interview and approved

November 14, 2013 picked up visa!

November 29, 2013 arrived in Anchorage

November 30, 2013 applied for marriage license

December 15, 2013 civil wedding

February 16, 2013 AOS filed

February 23, 2013 NOA 1 reviewed

April 4, 2013 Biometric appointment

May 9, 2013 AOS intervie

May 9, 2013 Approved ap, ead and green card

May 18, 2013 received Green Card, EAD and AP in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What happens in Manila has ZERO to do with what happens elsewhere, especially in Guangzhou!

OP, hold off on submitting your I-129F petition until experienced China filers can tell you how to front-load it properly. I'll post a link to this thread in that regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

What happens in Manila has ZERO to do with what happens elsewhere, especially in Guangzhou!

OP, hold off on submitting your I-129F petition until experienced China filers can tell you how to front-load it properly. I'll post a link to this thread in that regional forum.

good.gif Friendly bump so the post doesn't get lost and the China experts can chime in.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

First of all, thank you to the VisaJourney community for the assistance in getting my I-129f application in order. It's complete this afternoon and going in the mail tomorrow.

I do have a question, however. I met my girlfriend on-line on February 2nd, 2012. We have spoken pretty much twice daily since the middle of February through various means including phone, email, text messaging but primarily on QQ and instant messaging. We met for the first time in Beijing the first week of September and spent 10 great days together. Obviously I feel confident the I-129f will get approved, however, I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on getting approved at the K1 Visa level since we've only met once.

I'm 47 and my fiance is 38. She's never been married, has no criminal record and perfectly healthy. I'm divorced twice, no criminal record and have no issue with income requirements. Neither of us have ever applied for a K1 visa before. I see the only potential stumbling block the issues of having only met once. Personally, I feel confident that we should have no problem but my fiance is a Nervous Nelly and is under the impression that it's very difficult for Chinese to get approved. She's afraid we haven't spent enough time together and don't have enough pictures together. As I mentioned, she is Chinese and we'll be going through the Guangzhou consulate.

Is this a legitimate concern or not?

Thanks again!

Dave

Welcome to the forum.

You raise some interesting, and often asked questions.

From my recent experience, the key to having a successful visa journey through Guangzhou (GUZ) is based on the strength of your total I-129F package. By that I mean, following the VJ site's K-1 step-by-step guides, in particular the section on documentary evidence of a genuine and on-going relationship. From the Guide:

"Documentary Proof of Having Met in Person in the Past Two Years and an Ongoing Relationship:

Use as many of these items are possible. There is no minimum, but the more you can provide the less likely you are that you will receive an RFE. Additionally, please note that providing proof of your ongoing and genuine relationship in this package may benefit you by allowing the consulate to have access to this information prior to them formally contacting the non US Citizen fiance. Many high risk consulates approach cases with a skeptical eye and providing this information early on in the original I-129F package will help them in their preliminary review of your case.

1. Copies of all airline boarding passes, train passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, passport stamps (make sure you can read the dates on the stamps), and other documentary evidence that you have met within the last two years. You may want to highlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies (to make the adjudication easier) for the person reviewing your file.

2. Color Photo's of you and your fiance(e) together. Make sure you write your names, date, and location on the back of every photo. Provide two to five photo's. If you only have a single copy of the photo, then make a color copy and send that. If it is a digital photo, have it printed at a company such as kodakgallery.com. You can also make duplicates of photo's at your local photo store (Walgreeens, CVS, etc). Place photo's in a plastic bag or photo sheet and label the sheet. Note that you may not receive originals of photo's back.

3. The following items will not typically show proof of having met in the last two years however will show proof of an ongoing relationship: Copies of land line and cell phone bills, appropriate letters and emails, stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)"

The factors that you mention are not singularly problematic issues, it is the collective result of your petition, that may determine your success. Regarding age and only one visit, that shouldn't be a problem if you are able to demonstrate with as much evidence as possible with your initial petition submission that your relationship isn't a scam. Front load your petition with as many items of #1 and #2 as you can. Of course, the more visits the better. I submitted my petition after only having met her once. However, I visited her again while waiting for the NOA2, and provided more evidence of the #1 and #2 type at the interview. Finally, I went to Guangzhou to support her at her interview process. Be proactive and support each other in your visa journey.

Read some of the threads from of the regulars at the China forum, including, Darnell, pushbrk, bigdog, Operator, Ryan H (mention just a few.).

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I would not say i am an expert, but did successfully complete a K1 before I found VJ. It is not a walk in the park you have to get all your ducks in a row before filing and again for the embassy and again for AOS. The prior explorers at VJ would have made our initial K1 journey much easier if not more understandable. There will be unexplainable delays, requests for evidence you provided for what, unknown reason etc. The biggest issue is that OP's not being able to read and understand the instructions or want it spoon fed without any individual effort. Many countries have their bug a boos and everyone needs to be site specific.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

You raise some interesting, and often asked questions.

From my recent experience, the key to having a successful visa journey through Guangzhou (GUZ) is based on the strength of your total I-129F package. By that I mean, following the VJ site's K-1 step-by-step guides, in particular the section on documentary evidence of a genuine and on-going relationship. From the Guide:

"Documentary Proof of Having Met in Person in the Past Two Years and an Ongoing Relationship:

Use as many of these items are possible. There is no minimum, but the more you can provide the less likely you are that you will receive an RFE. Additionally, please note that providing proof of your ongoing and genuine relationship in this package may benefit you by allowing the consulate to have access to this information prior to them formally contacting the non US Citizen fiance. Many high risk consulates approach cases with a skeptical eye and providing this information early on in the original I-129F package will help them in their preliminary review of your case.

1. Copies of all airline boarding passes, train passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, passport stamps (make sure you can read the dates on the stamps), and other documentary evidence that you have met within the last two years. You may want to highlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies (to make the adjudication easier) for the person reviewing your file.

2. Color Photo's of you and your fiance(e) together. Make sure you write your names, date, and location on the back of every photo. Provide two to five photo's. If you only have a single copy of the photo, then make a color copy and send that. If it is a digital photo, have it printed at a company such as kodakgallery.com. You can also make duplicates of photo's at your local photo store (Walgreeens, CVS, etc). Place photo's in a plastic bag or photo sheet and label the sheet. Note that you may not receive originals of photo's back.

3. The following items will not typically show proof of having met in the last two years however will show proof of an ongoing relationship: Copies of land line and cell phone bills, appropriate letters and emails, stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)"

The factors that you mention are not singularly problematic issues, it is the collective result of your petition, that may determine your success. Regarding age and only one visit, that shouldn't be a problem if you are able to demonstrate with as much evidence as possible with your initial petition submission that your relationship isn't a scam. Front load your petition with as many items of #1 and #2 as you can. Of course, the more visits the better. I submitted my petition after only having met her once. However, I visited her again while waiting for the NOA2, and provided more evidence of the #1 and #2 type at the interview. Finally, I went to Guangzhou to support her at her interview process. Be proactive and support each other in your visa journey.

Read some of the threads from of the regulars at the China forum, including, Darnell, pushbrk, bigdog, Operator, Ryan H (mention just a few.).

Good luck on your visa journey.

:thumbs::thumbs:

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi Dave, welcome to the party.

Let's look at it in two stages.

First your I-129F...the requirement is that you have met your fiancée IN PERSON once within the two years prior to submitting our petition. Looks like you have that covered so send off your petition.

The next hurdle will be for her to convince the folks in Guangzhou that you have a real relationship and she isn't marrying you just for green card, that's at least 5 months away.

I personally think that if any relationship is real the visa will be approved with proper preparation and hard work. I don't think that meeting only once is a compelling reason to deny.

Here is what you might do to ease her concerns and it certainly will not hurt her visa application, make another trip. Have you met her family? Showing pictures of you and her family would be a great help.

Yeah it's expensive and nobody has unlimited time off, but it will make her happy and it will do a lot to ease her concerns.

I'm not aware of anyone being denied in Guangzhou for only meeting one time.

...and forget about the age difference.

Edited by Operator

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

please read the list of red flags for GUZ IV for K-1 visa chasers, over at

GUZ IV red flags - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/234971-red-flag-list-for-visa-denial/page__hl__appointment

then refactor your plan accordingly.

IMO, on interview day - if'n you were able to make 1 to 2 more trips between today and interview day, and she's able to show that to a Consular Officer that's interviewing her (or an evolution of relationship letter magically showed up somehow)

then you should be ok ...

other stuff about an EOR, from an IR-1 perspective...

EOR - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=260331&view=findpost&p=3995116

In the end, if the fellas over at candleforlove.com vette yer pile of stuff that you've submitted with the I-129F, prior to you actually submitting it, then I think yer golden.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.