kaga1981

Filed I 90 instead of I 751. What to do?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Did something really stupid yesterday. I filed I 90 instead of I 751. Realized it yesterday after sending the form that I am a conditional resident - got married on K1 visa, got my green card for 2 yrs.

Was wondering if anybody has had similar experience and do you have any advice on what to do in such a situation. Am planning to call the Arizona office where I filed on Tuesday. Do you think, since I realized it immediately without having received any NOA from them, I can still get my money back? How do I proceed?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Send the correct forms asap to do ROC on time.

You can try and get your other things back but not sure you will.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Correct.

I used this calculator to make sure I got the date right. http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

I understand I should file it no sooner than 90 days before the expiration date of my current card, right?

Wrong. You can't file the ROC sooner than 90 days. If your GC expires on September 20th, your 90 day windows open on June 22nd.

That's an example...

Good Luck!

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Timeline

Wrong. You can't file the ROC sooner than 90 days. If your GC expires on September 20th, your 90 day windows open on June 22nd.

That's an example...

Good Luck!

Um the OP said NO SOONER THAN 90 DAYS. not sooner than 90days so yes the OP was correct in what they said. NO sooner than 90 days.

Um the OP said NO SOONER THAN 90 DAYS. not sooner than 90days so yes the OP was correct in what they said. NO sooner than 90 days.

Ooops! You're right. I didn't read the OP's post thoroughly. My bad!

(procrastinated)
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Did something really stupid yesterday. I filed I 90 instead of I 751. Realized it yesterday after sending the form that I am a conditional resident - got married on K1 visa, got my green card for 2 yrs.

Was wondering if anybody has had similar experience and do you have any advice on what to do in such a situation. Am planning to call the Arizona office where I filed on Tuesday. Do you think, since I realized it immediately without having received any NOA from them, I can still get my money back? How do I proceed?

You should IMMEDIATELY cancel your check. As it's still public holidays thanks to July 4th holiday you have time to do that before they process it. That will cancel the application and they will return/reject it because of insufficient funds. If you don't cancel the check they WILL cash it and WILL NOT return the money. Your mistake, not theirs so they won't care.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you sent a personal check, go to your bank and put a stop payment on the check. Also make sure that the bank will not honor an ACH or EFT (electronic funds transfer) request from USCIS or Department of Homeland Security.

If you sent a cashier's check or money order you are out the money. You can follow the process for withdrawing your I-90 by using the address at the bottom of the I-90 form age from the USCIS website ( http://www.uscis.gov/i-90 ) A phone call won't do it.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thank you for all the useful info. I was thinking about putting a stop on the check, but am worried that it might affect my credibility with USCIS, meaning I sent the application and the checked bounced. For obvious reasons, I want everything to go smooth

but also don't want to pay double for my stupid mistake.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you for all the useful info. I was thinking about putting a stop on the check, but am worried that it might affect my credibility with USCIS, meaning I sent the application and the checked bounced. For obvious reasons, I want everything to go smooth

but also don't want to pay double for my stupid mistake.

Not a worry. Bank first thing tomorrow Tuesday to stop payment / funds transfer.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

That's an example...

Good Luck!

ain't it the same thing that the OP stated?

ain't it the same thing that the OP stated?

Yep! You are absolutely correct. But, I got it "backward" though. Go figure...:blush:

(procrastinated)

Thanks guys for your answers. Have one more question. Just moved to a different state and am looking for a new job. Now what happens when I get hired on my old green card but I don't get my new one before the old one terminates? Can't work right?

Also, am worried that the fact that the current one expires within the next 4 months will affect the hiring process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thanks guys for your answers. Have one more question. Just moved to a different state and am looking for a new job. Now what happens when I get hired on my old green card but I don't get my new one before the old one terminates? Can't work right?

Also, am worried that the fact that the current one expires within the next 4 months will affect the hiring process.

When you submit the ROC application, you will receive a NOA which basically gives one extra year of validity to your green card. you can work and travel as before. However, you say that your card expired within the next 4 months: you can apply for ROC only within the 90 days (3 months) before the expiration. if you submit it too soon, it will not be accepted. Check the dates and make sure you are within this 90-day timeframe before sending anything.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.