monyfer

InfoPass Appointment was a DISASTER

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We have been waiting NINE months since we filed our I-129f K1 petition. No news. We got on RFE on 4/18 asking for another passport photo of me which I sent back ASAP and they confirmed receipt of on May 2. Today has been the "Sixty Days" they have to update us. Nothing. I have been in contact with my Congressman since March, and his congressional aide to immigration has written several emails to Vermont Service Center. We have been told since April (3 months ago) that we are in "background checks" and to check back in six months. Then we had the RFE. No one will give us answers on the phone so I made an InfoPass appointment at the local immigration office to inquire about my case. I had HIGH hopes, as this option was a last resort to get some answers about why.

My fiance flew in to visit me yesterday (he has a valid B1/B2 tourist visa) so we went together to the InfoPass. I thought they would surely give us the time of day. I wasted $15 on cab fare going over there and being treated like garbage.

We checked in and got called up to the counter. As soon as I saw the woman attending us, I knew we were in trouble. She looked very unfriendly and bitter and she was. She was also extremely incompetent. She asked to see "our papers" so I asked her which ones and showed her our NOA1 and other correspondence from the USCIS. I told her we filed for K-1 in October and have not received approval yet. She asked me something about form I-485. I said "no, no, we are not at that stage yet, I only APPLIED we have not been APPROVED yet".

I told her we are getting no answers from anyone and even my Congressman has been involved with no luck. As soon as she heard that, she told me "Oh, well if your Congressman is involved, you can't come to us. We can't TOUCH a case after a Congressman is involved." #######? I NEVER heard that before. I told her, all the Congressman did was e-mail VSC on our behalf and was told the same thing we are. She continued to tell me that she could not do anything if we had already involved a congressman, and that I would have to go back to him to help me, and she wouldn't even be able to see anything on her screen anyway.

Then she asked me why Fiance and I didn't just file a I-130 for him. I was like, UH, we are NOT Married,.....THAT IS WHY WE FILED A FIANCE VISA! How stupid, right? So she looked all confused and said "Oh, I thought you were married!" (why would we have been asking about fiance visa?) and then she asked why we didn't JUST GET MARRIED WHILE MY FIANCE WAS HERE VISITING IN THE US....

I almost flipped out when I heard that. I told her "because I understand that would be ILLEGAL. He is here on a tourist visa and I understand it is illegal to get married while he is on a tourist visa". And then she looked confused and consulted with her co-workers, but then just told me there was nothing she could do and to get back in touch with my congressman.

What a waste. Nine months. I show up there in person with my fiance and was treated like the garbage of the earth. I said, if it is a security issue why would they have let him into the US yesterday? Why would he have this valid tourist visa? And she just said she didn't know and it could take months maybe a criminal has the same name as him or something.

I started crying and she didn't care and so we left.

I am at the end of my rope. Nine months. No answers. Completely in the dark about what is holding up our case or keeping us in "background checks" THIS long, when neither one of us have criminal pasts or anything. No idea when this will end. Months, years from now? I am this close to giving up everything and moving back to Mexico. While I would love for us to be in the states, how long am I supposed to wait, completely in the dark? Another year? 2? 5?

I am completely dejected and feel I have exhausted every single resource. I would welcome any other ideas, if there are any left I have not tried.

Edited by monyfer

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If I were you, I would go back and this time bring your camcorder and videotape the encounter.

Post it on YouTube, tell your Congressman about the video, persist like a Terminator.

Best of luck, hang in there and take care,

notmuch88tosay

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; I am really shocked about the way she treated you...

If I were you, I would go back and talk to a SUPER VISOR whom does know what he/she is talking about since the co-worker didn't have a clue about what you were talking about.

MAKE A NEW INFO PASS & TALk TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW THIS ALL WORKS!!! & don't mention that you contacted Congressman/Senator/Ombudsman until they ask for it....

(F) xoxox (F)

If I were you, I would go back and this time bring your camcorder and videotape the encounter.

Post it on YouTube, tell your Congressman about the video, persist like a Terminator.

Best of luck, hang in there and take care,

notmuch88tosay

; For real, you really think electronic devices are allowed?! Ofcourse you can't record the convo! :bonk:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Have you consulted an experienced immigration attorney? It may be worth a few $$ to lay out all the particulars and get an informed opinion.

There is nothing illegal about marrying while he is here. It's coming on a visitor's visa with the intention of marrying and staying that would be a violation of the law.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Oh my goodness, that's inexcusable behaviour.

I second the recommendation to speak with a supervisor there, even if just to report the appalling behaviour from the woman you dealt with!

I hope you get answers soon :(

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have been waiting NINE months since we filed our I-129f K1 petition. No news. We got on RFE on 4/18 asking for another passport photo of me which I sent back ASAP and they confirmed receipt of on May 2. Today has been the "Sixty Days" they have to update us. Nothing. I have been in contact with my Congressman since March, and his congressional aide to immigration has written several emails to Vermont Service Center. We have been told since April (3 months ago) that we are in "background checks" and to check back in six months. Then we had the RFE. No one will give us answers on the phone so I made an InfoPass appointment at the local immigration office to inquire about my case. I had HIGH hopes, as this option was a last resort to get some answers about why.

My fiance flew in to visit me yesterday (he has a valid B1/B2 tourist visa) so we went together to the InfoPass. I thought they would surely give us the time of day. I wasted $15 on cab fare going over there and being treated like garbage.

We checked in and got called up to the counter. As soon as I saw the woman attending us, I knew we were in trouble. She looked very unfriendly and bitter and she was. She was also extremely incompetent. She asked to see "our papers" so I asked her which ones and showed her our NOA1 and other correspondence from the USCIS. I told her we filed for K-1 in October and have not received approval yet. She asked me something about form I-485. I said "no, no, we are not at that stage yet, I only APPLIED we have not been APPROVED yet".

I told her we are getting no answers from anyone and even my Congressman has been involved with no luck. As soon as she heard that, she told me "Oh, well if your Congressman is involved, you can't come to us. We can't TOUCH a case after a Congressman is involved." #######? I NEVER heard that before. I told her, all the Congressman did was e-mail VSC on our behalf and was told the same thing we are. She continued to tell me that she could not do anything if we had already involved a congressman, and that I would have to go back to him to help me, and she wouldn't even be able to see anything on her screen anyway.

Then she asked me why Fiance and I didn't just file a I-130 for him. I was like, UH, we are NOT Married,.....THAT IS WHY WE FILED A FIANCE VISA! How stupid, right? So she looked all confused and said "Oh, I thought you were married!" (why would we have been asking about fiance visa?) and then she asked why we didn't JUST GET MARRIED WHILE MY FIANCE WAS HERE VISITING IN THE US....

I almost flipped out when I heard that. I told her "because I understand that would be ILLEGAL. He is here on a tourist visa and I understand it is illegal to get married while he is on a tourist visa". And then she looked confused and consulted with her co-workers, but then just told me there was nothing she could do and to get back in touch with my congressman.

What a waste. Nine months. I show up there in person with my fiance and was treated like the garbage of the earth. I said, if it is a security issue why would they have let him into the US yesterday? Why would he have this valid tourist visa? And she just said she didn't know and it could take months maybe a criminal has the same name as him or something.

I started crying and she didn't care and so we left.

I am at the end of my rope. Nine months. No answers. Completely in the dark about what is holding up our case or keeping us in "background checks" THIS long, when neither one of us have criminal pasts or anything. No idea when this will end. Months, years from now? I am this close to giving up everything and moving back to Mexico. While I would love for us to be in the states, how long am I supposed to wait, completely in the dark? Another year? 2? 5?

I am completely dejected and feel I have exhausted every single resource. I would welcome any other ideas, if there are any left I have not tried.

if your fiance can stay, get married and file the i-130/i-485

YMMV

Timeline

; I am really shocked about the way she treated you...

If I were you, I would go back and talk to a SUPER VISOR whom does know what he/she is talking about since the co-worker didn't have a clue about what you were talking about.

MAKE A NEW INFO PASS & TALk TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW THIS ALL WORKS!!! & don't mention that you contacted Congressman/Senator/Ombudsman until they ask for it....

(F) xoxox (F)

; For real, you really think electronic devices are allowed?! Ofcourse you can't record the convo! :bonk:

Hey Channah&Aaron,

Oh yea, I forgot, it's like a Dictatorship in there.

I should've known better, since I'm not a Government employee.

notmuch88tosay

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I would go with this: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_dhsform7001.pdf

Its a little much at this point for you to still be waiting.

I-129F Sent : 2011-03-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-03-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-01

NVC Received : 2011-07-08

NVC Left : 2011-07-14

Consulate Received : 2011-07-18

Packet 3 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

if your fiance can stay, get married and file the i-130/i-485

Can they really do that? Wouldn't the fiance visa that they filed even if they cancel it, become proof that there was intent to stay when he came as a tourist? But hey, if you can do that, then by all means!!! Get married and stay and file AOS..if that's possible.. I really wish it would just work out for you, I too feel frustrated for you because you seem like a nice couple who doesn't deserve this and I have read your posts.. Hope it works out!!!

How about while you are here, consult with an immigration lawyer and check your options?

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Great suggestion amtank,

I would also go to BigGovernment.com and see if you can interest them in your story.

They have been on Fox news and have generated alot of online and offline publicity for others who have been abused by Government.

notmuch88tosay

I know a good immigration lawyer from PA if you need it. She has an office in the Philly area. Her initial consultation is free, at this point it can't hurt. :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Timeline

Can they really do that? Wouldn't the fiance visa that they filed even if they cancel it, become proof that there was intent to stay when he came as a tourist? But hey, if you can do that, then by all means!!! Get married and stay and file AOS..if that's possible.. I really wish it would just work out for you, I too feel frustrated for you because you seem like a nice couple who doesn't deserve this and I have read your posts.. Hope it works out!!!

How about while you are here, consult with an immigration lawyer and check your options?

the issue was intent at the time of entry... at the time of entry there was no intent... the intent was a change of mind after entry due to the continued delays

YMMV

the issue was intent at the time of entry... at the time of entry there was no intent... the intent was a change of mind after entry due to the continued delays

Ahhh okay... got it :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I would go with this: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_dhsform7001.pdf

Its a little much at this point for you to still be waiting.

Ditto this advice Ombudsman will run it down in a couple days

... do not get married it will set you back another 8 months ... !

Timeline

Ditto this advice Ombudsman will run it down in a couple days

... do not get married it will set you back another 8 months ... !

don't be so fast to discount the marriage option, if they marry and apply for adjustment immediately, they can at least spend that time together here in the states...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.