Hurting Bad

HELP!!! In the US on fiancee visa, but petitioner backed out!!!

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That's correct.

I just thought Bob 4 Anna's point about US hospitals no longer hiring nurses from the Phils as particularly salient but mostly overlooked. In which case I don't even see the point in getting an SSN.

Dunno about that. The hospitals and medical offices in California certainly are overflowing with Filipino nurses! :blush:

Anyway, she's here. She may as well give it a shot. Her chances of getting an employer to sponsor her may not be good, but it still might be better than her chances of getting a job in the Philippines.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

That's correct.

I just thought Bob 4 Anna's point about US hospitals no longer hiring nurses from the Phils as particularly salient but mostly overlooked. In which case I don't even see the point in getting an SSN.

Agreed as well.

OP, I was following your first thread, and while I really don't want to come across as unsympathetic (because I'm totally sympathetic to your situation), what I don't understand is that you made it seem like you had a really great job and life in the PI...I am actually curious as to what caused the turnaround for you to try to find a work visa sponsor now.

Either way, I am sorry you are going through this.

That's correct.

Hurting Bad has a very good reason to get a SSN.

She received her authorization to test for the NCLEX-RN through the state of California. She passed the NCLEX-RN. However, California won't issue her an RN license without a SSN. If she does not submit a SSN to the California Board of Nursing within three years, her file will be deleted and her NCLEX-RN result will be deleted as well. If this happened, she would be required to re-apply and to pass the NCLEX-RN all over again.

The NCLEX-RN is a very rigorous test which can require months of preparation, not to mention the time and expense involved in the application process. Approximately two-thirds of U.S.-trained nursing graduates pass the test on their first try, and only one-third of foreign-trained nursing graduates pass on their first try. Once you have passed the NCLEX-RN, it is not a test you ever want to take again.

It is possible to get a one-year extension to the three-year deadline of submitting a SSN. But, without a SSN, in four years Hurting Bad would have to start from scratch.

Although her present chances are very slim, it is entirely possible for Hurting Bad to find an employer in California to sponsor her for a work visa. Her slim chance would hinge upon her having a SSN and a forthcoming RN license from the state of California. If nothing else, she could return to the Philippines and continue trying to find a sponsor, or wait until the retrogression lifts and the U.S. starts importing nurses again. Under almost any scenario, Hurting Bad absolutely needs that SSN if she is to work as an RN in California.

@Hurting Bad...Sorry to hear the bad news about your fiancé.

Agreed as well.

OP, I was following your first thread, and while I really don't want to come across as unsympathetic (because I'm totally sympathetic to your situation), what I don't understand is that you made it seem like you had a really great job and life in the PI...I am actually curious as to what caused the turnaround for you to try to find a work visa sponsor now.

Either way, I am sorry you are going through this.

There are tens of thousands of RNs looking for work in the Philippines. As bad as the job market for RNs is here in the U.S., it is ten times more difficult to find an RN job in the Philippines. Also, an RN in the U.S. is paid more than twenty times the hourly wage of a Filipino RN. Even considering the difference in the cost of living between the two countries, the U.S. wage is still astronomically higher. The money can be a powerful incentive.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I just want to commend Saddened (the OP) for demonstrating such personal character here. All too often we hear about when the beneficiary is scamming for the greencard (unfortunately there have been too many of those threads in the PH forum lately) but seldom do we get to see this side of the situation.

Having family already in the US Saddened could have "gone TNT" and tried to stay here working illegally but instead she has chosen to follow the rules.

Even more to her credit, not once has she smeared the man who sponsored her entry on the K-1. In fact she seems to understand his reason and is doing her best to move on without feeling a need to leave scorched earth behind her.

@Saddened, I wish you the best in all of your future endeavors. In due time everything that you need will find it's way to you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you again. Your kind words and wise advice make me feel better.

Yes, my main reason for getting my SSN is to get my nursing license in California, otherwise, my NCLEX will expire in 3 years, which would mean that I will have to re-apply for and retake the exam, which I don't want to do because it is so difficult. If I get my license, at least I can continue looking for an employer, whether here or in the Philippines.

Timeline

Oh, and while you, my VJ friends seem to know what you're talking about, I'd like to present another information:

I graduated with a degree of BS Business Administration as my first course, and then worked in Information Technology for almost 6 years (2 years in mainframe programming, and 3.5 years in PeopleSoft). Then I went into nursing school while taking care of my sick father (had to resign from work in the city because my parents live in the province). So basically, I haven't been working in IT since mid-2006.

So my questions are:

1.) Would my past IT experience, even though it has an interruption of 4 years, give me better chances than in nursing? It may be important to note that my course is non-IT, although I worked in 2 IT companies for almost 6 years. I also graduated on top of the class in both courses, I was wondering if this would mean something in employers who could give good breaks to talented individuals.

2.) Any ideas on the kind of work/job title that I could apply for in IT? I honestly feel that I could no longer answer technical questions during technical interviews because I haven't done programming in a while, and in my last 3.5 years in IT, I was basically just leading a programming team and not doing much programming either.

As for seeming to want to stay in the US (because some of you have asked about this), I just feel that I want to see what other options I have. One other reason is that I feel saddened by the fact that I would be returning to the Philippines brokenhearted while everyone there knows about my misfortune (although this is a shallow reason, and someday I know that I will overcome this fear). My youngest sister is also getting married on January 29, and just thinking about attending it already makes me want to cry again because I was dumped by my ex (although it's good riddance, of course). I feel like I want to return to the Philippines after having done something for me to look forward to, whether a new job in a new environment, or a new me who has healed for some time in the US first before returning home. I also agree that the monetary aspect is a motivation -- I would earn more in the US. And after several months of visualizing my life in the US (with my then-beloved), I have somewhat developed the image of me working in the US, too, and feel challenged that I might be able to do this on my own even with a broken heart.

But whatever happens, whether I find an employer or not, I intend to follow the visa rules and to move on with life and just stay positive about my trials whether here in the US or in the Philippines.

Looking forward to more wise advice from you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It has been mentioned before but seemingly ignored:

There are NO visa's available for Nursing. So whilst an employer could theoretically sponsor you it would be knowing that it would be many years, if ever, in the future before you could start. Why would any employer do that?

IT

The IT visa is usually the HIB, limited numbers because and they would go very quickly. Now not so mych a problem because there are no jobs.

Best bet would be networking, if you can offer something really specially you might be in. Also bear in mind the H1B needs the applicant to have a degree and the job to require that degree. There is an option to substitute experience for each year of four year college missing, from memory 3 years for each college year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Are you interested in studying at all?

You may try to get some information from different colleges in the area and see if you could continue your studies here. School is pretty expensive in US, but who knows maybe your brother can sign the sponsorship papers for a sudent visa. You will not be atuhorized to work off campus though. However, a student visa could open the gates for a work visa in the future.

I know it's a long journey, but it's an option.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Timeline

There's no harm in whatever employment track you try to take. The fact you managed people is a plus, not a minus. You can fashion a resume that is tailored to the position you are applying for. Hospital administration might even be feasible given nursing, IT, and management experience.

You can see the "close the door behind me" attitude of some people doing their best to discourage someone else, despite the perfectly legal nature of your inquiries.

I'm with Bob 4 Anna and others saying you have character and should do the best for yourself you can.

My goodness, everyone is motivated to some degree by improving one's financial position, and it is ludicrous to suggest the opposite! Are we supposed to be motivated by a desire to impoverish ourselves? Is it noble to seek poverty?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You missed the issue, she would need a work visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You missed the issue, she would need a work visa.

No, I didn't.

She needs a sponsor in order to get a work visa. She cannot get a sponsor if she doesn't go out looking for one. I suggested hospital administration given her background, which was quite a bit more specific than a vague idea about "networking". That is nothing more than the vacuous suggestion to contact people. Duh - what an insight.

I'm not interested in an internet put-down ego battle. You have a nice day and if you want to make another incorrect comment I'm just not going to answer it.

Timeline

Thank you, everyone. I hope there won't be fights here :-) I appreciate your comments, both negative and positive. It gives me a more realistic and holistic view of what's ahead of me. Yes, I might try a student visa via the HTIR, or look for an employer, and if none works, there's always my beloved Philippines who'll welcome me back with open arms and without any visa restrictions :-P But yeah, it still feels heavy in my heart and mind that I am having trouble sleeping almost every night. I do not like this experience, it is very painful, but the fact that it is painful and I don't like it all the more pushes me to get out of this misery and move forward. Please include me in your prayers. I want to heal.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.