26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am yet to submit our AOS docs to USCIS and so I am anxious to know, how important is the TB Skin Test ( I haven't done this test in my country), but I am confident that my medical in my country is complete and having been done with chest Xray, for me is more reliable. I am done with I-693, the CS as required, filled out the parts 1, part 2 (vaccination), and part 5 (CS certification)...the CS was really kind enough and didn't ask anything but my immunization records..but I am just anxious to know if TB Skin Test is a MUST, since I know of other K-1's who really did this when they got to the US.

I had been checking out other VJ'ers thread about this issue, but I guess, at this point I would like to know any updates...

Thanks as always for the help. :help:

K1 Visa :whistle:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-09

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-11-30

Consulate Received : 2009-12-04

Interview Date : 2010-01-28

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-02-05

US Entry : 2010-03-15

Marriage : 2010-05-01

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 52 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 111 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Edited by summer0573

sum

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am yet to submit our AOS docs to USCIS and so I am anxious to know, how important is the TB Skin Test ( I haven't done this test in my country), but I am confident that my medical in my country is complete and having been done with chest Xray, for me is more reliable. I am done with I-693, the CS as required, filled out the parts 1, part 2 (vaccination), and part 5 (CS certification)...the CS was really kind enough and didn't ask anything but my immunization records..but I am just anxious to know if TB Skin Test is a MUST, since I know of other K-1's who really did this when they got to the US.

I had been checking out other VJ'ers thread about this issue, but I guess, at this point I would like to know any updates...

Thanks as always for the help. :help:

K1 Visa :whistle:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-09

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-09

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-11-30

Consulate Received : 2009-12-04

Interview Date : 2010-01-28

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-02-05

US Entry : 2010-03-15

Marriage : 2010-05-01

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 52 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 111 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

It's a must.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm pretty sure it is a must. But it's no big deal. just a little poke and as long as there is no skin reaction, you're good to go! :)

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

I'm pretty sure it is a must. But it's no big deal. just a little poke and as long as there is no skin reaction, you're good to go! :)

Thanks...cuz from other threads, they got GCs without the skin test, cuz from their country, they had complete medical but without the skin test (but had xrays)...also I am done with my I-693, so kinda confused if I get skin test at health center and go back to CS again... :unsure:

but, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! :innocent:

sum

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Strictly speaking, you should not have to get the tuberculin skin test (TST). They don't usually administer this test in many countries where tuberculosis transmission is common, including Asia and the Pacific Islands. This is because a large percentage of the population have been exposed to the bacteria that causes tuberculosis, and will give a positive test reaction even though they don't have an active or latent TB infection. The panel physicians in these countries skip the skin test, and go to the secondary screening which is a chest x-ray. If they see indications of infection in the x-ray then they go to the third stage screening, which is a sputum culture.

If you had the chest x-ray and were cleared at the panel physician's medical exam in your home country, then you are not required by USCIS to have the test again, provided it was done within the previous year. However, a civil surgeon in the US who was following the CDC guidelines, and not specifically aware of the USCIS requirements, might BELIEVE you need the TST test. This is because the CDC guidelines don't specify an exception for applicants who had a chest x-ray by a panel physician - they only specify exceptions for applicants who have a documented history of a positive TST (they'll need a chest x-ray), or a documented history of severe blistering reaction to the TST (they'll also need a chest x-ray), or refugee/asylum applicants who only require vaccinations. In other words, there is a conflict between the USCIS requirements and the CDC requirements.

The civil surgeon we went to was absolutely convinced the TST was required, and even showed me the latest CDC requirements. I countered by showing him the latest USCIS requirements. He then showed me a short stack of I-693's that were awaiting TST results AFTER the applicant's had gotten RFE's from USCIS. He said we could skip the TST if we wanted, and he'd sign the I-693. Rather than risk an RFE, we decided to get the test. Only my step-son had a reaction, but it wasn't enough to be classified as positive. The civil surgeon reviewed his chest x-rays from Cho Ray hospital in Vietnam, just be safe.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's a must.

Not for a K1 it's not.

Not for a K1 it's not.

Thanks...cuz from other threads, they got GCs without the skin test, cuz from their country, they had complete medical but without the skin test (but had xrays)...also I am done with my I-693, so kinda confused if I get skin test at health center and go back to CS again... :unsure:

but, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! :innocent:

Yeah you're right and every reply so far is WRONG (Jim posted after I started, he's right).

As you had a full K1 medical less than 1 year ago you DO NOT have the TB skin test now you're here in the US. If you need to do a new medical because yours from the K1 has expired then you WOULD need to do it.

Here is a link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=1758d5b07655b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD specifically this part:

"Q: If an applicant is required to receive only the vaccinations, and not undergo the entire medical exam, does he/she have to submit the entire Form I-693?

No. Applicants who are not required to have the entire medical examination need to submit only pages one, three and five of the new form. The required sections include Part 1, Information About You, the vaccination record portion of Part 2, and Part 5 (if the vaccinations are administered by a civil surgeon) or Part 6 (if the vaccinations are administered by a local health department). Pages two and four, that would have been left blank, do not need to be submitted."

As the TB skin test is part of the MEDICAL and not part of the vaccinations, as this page states you DO NOT have another TB skin test. Some CS's are idiots and some are scammers and MIGHT try and get you to do it. Show them the part I've shown you. Also take the I-693 instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693instr.pdf specifically page 4 FAQ 2 which outlines what you need as a K1. Again, as we are only transcribing immunisations, and the TB skin test is part of the MEDICAL then TB skin test is NOT NEEDED for K1 AOS'ers as long as their medical is still valid.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Strictly speaking, you should not have to get the tuberculin skin test (TST). They don't usually administer this test in many countries where tuberculosis transmission is common, including Asia and the Pacific Islands. This is because a large percentage of the population have been exposed to the bacteria that causes tuberculosis, and will give a positive test reaction even though they don't have an active or latent TB infection. The panel physicians in these countries skip the skin test, and go to the secondary screening which is a chest x-ray. If they see indications of infection in the x-ray then they go to the third stage screening, which is a sputum culture.

If you had the chest x-ray and were cleared at the panel physician's medical exam in your home country, then you are not required by USCIS to have the test again, provided it was done within the previous year. However, a civil surgeon in the US who was following the CDC guidelines, and not specifically aware of the USCIS requirements, might BELIEVE you need the TST test. This is because the CDC guidelines don't specify an exception for applicants who had a chest x-ray by a panel physician - they only specify exceptions for applicants who have a documented history of a positive TST (they'll need a chest x-ray), or a documented history of severe blistering reaction to the TST (they'll also need a chest x-ray), or refugee/asylum applicants who only require vaccinations. In other words, there is a conflict between the USCIS requirements and the CDC requirements.

The civil surgeon we went to was absolutely convinced the TST was required, and even showed me the latest CDC requirements. I countered by showing him the latest USCIS requirements. He then showed me a short stack of I-693's that were awaiting TST results AFTER the applicant's had gotten RFE's from USCIS. He said we could skip the TST if we wanted, and he'd sign the I-693. Rather than risk an RFE, we decided to get the test. Only my step-son had a reaction, but it wasn't enough to be classified as positive. The civil surgeon reviewed his chest x-rays from Cho Ray hospital in Vietnam, just be safe.

According to your timeline you haven't filed AOS yet but I know you have though so....

Please update your timeline so others can benefit from your experience and your profile to reflect that you are now AOS (pending). The timeline function is up the top called "immigration timelines". To update your profile click on "settings" (up the top right of the page) then the "profile" tab, then "change profile information" (which should be the default one that opens). Then scroll down to Immigration status where it currently says "k1" and change it to "AOS (pending)".

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

Great reply, thank you so much and the CS that we went to is not strict about TB Skin Test and right away signed the I-693, his only concern is to fill out the immunization records part.

sum

Timeline

Not for a K1 it's not.

Not for a K1 it's not.

Yeah you're right and every reply so far is WRONG (Jim posted after I started, he's right).

As you had a full K1 medical less than 1 year ago you DO NOT have the TB skin test now you're here in the US. If you need to do a new medical because yours from the K1 has expired then you WOULD need to do it.

Here is a link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=1758d5b07655b110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD specifically this part:

"Q: If an applicant is required to receive only the vaccinations, and not undergo the entire medical exam, does he/she have to submit the entire Form I-693?

No. Applicants who are not required to have the entire medical examination need to submit only pages one, three and five of the new form. The required sections include Part 1, Information About You, the vaccination record portion of Part 2, and Part 5 (if the vaccinations are administered by a civil surgeon) or Part 6 (if the vaccinations are administered by a local health department). Pages two and four, that would have been left blank, do not need to be submitted."

As the TB skin test is part of the MEDICAL and not part of the vaccinations, as this page states you DO NOT have another TB skin test. Some CS's are idiots and some are scammers and MIGHT try and get you to do it. Show them the part I've shown you. Also take the I-693 instructions here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-693instr.pdf specifically page 4 FAQ 2 which outlines what you need as a K1. Again, as we are only transcribing immunisations, and the TB skin test is part of the MEDICAL then TB skin test is NOT NEEDED for K1 AOS'ers as long as their medical is still valid.

I really appreciate the details, I also read this, that's why I did not bother to do the skin test, it seems to me that my medical is covered by the latest USCIS ruling about this TST thing and I don't think after paying a huge amount of money in my country's hospital, they would still allow me to have tests other than immunization here in the U.S., so did you mean that you also haven't done the skin test and did not get an RFE? thanks

sum

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't have to do TB test, just xrays and I didn't get any RFEs. I have my interview in two weeks and EAD is on its way, so I don't assume I'll be getting any. Good luck!

0vi7t8.png

I also agree that the TB skin test will not be required for a K1 since the TB part of your medical was either cleared or not cleared at the visa medical.

The original FAQs about the TB skin test when it came out in summer 2008 did say something like:

Do I need to have a TST even if I had a chest x-ray in my home country?

The answer was YES. But many of us falling under that "new" rule didn't get a TST and got GCs without one. Later those FAQ were changed and modified several times. It seems like USCIS realized it was foolish to demand a TST when someone had a more conclusive test to see if they had TB. It may be that some Civil Surgeons are going by the original info and haven't kept up with subtle changes is how things are going.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I didn't have to do TB test, just xrays and I didn't get any RFEs. I have my interview in two weeks and EAD is on its way, so I don't assume I'll be getting any. Good luck!

Thanks! Might as well, don't get it, since I find it time consuming to go back to the CS, I don't know if he's going to charge me again an appointment fee... :unsure:

sum

Timeline

I also agree that the TB skin test will not be required for a K1 since the TB part of your medical was either cleared or not cleared at the visa medical.

The original FAQs about the TB skin test when it came out in summer 2008 did say something like:

Do I need to have a TST even if I had a chest x-ray in my home country?

The answer was YES. But many of us falling under that "new" rule didn't get a TST and got GCs without one. Later those FAQ were changed and modified several times. It seems like USCIS realized it was foolish to demand a TST when someone had a more conclusive test to see if they had TB. It may be that some Civil Surgeons are going by the original info and haven't kept up with subtle changes is how things are going.

Yeah, the xray is the 2nd step after you're found positive from skin test, so I guess there's no sense going back to step 1 after step 2...USCIS and CS should coordinate better, as not to rip off poor applicants, stressful :thumbs:

Edited by summer0573

sum

Timeline

I really appreciate the details, I also read this, that's why I did not bother to do the skin test, it seems to me that my medical is covered by the latest USCIS ruling about this TST thing and I don't think after paying a huge amount of money in my country's hospital, they would still allow me to have tests other than immunization here in the U.S., so did you mean that you also haven't done the skin test and did not get an RFE? thanks

Yep. I didn't have the TST done and no RFE's so far **knock on wood** I also know several people who didn't sent the TST and they have been approved with no RFE's

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.