Akua Abeku

Opened Sealed Envelope at the Airport in Accra

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Abeku went to the aiport on Friday, April 2, 2010 with his passport/visa. Although he got processed without any problems at check-in, an employee at one of the gates insisted that he hand over his sealed envelope for inspection. Abeku protested saying that he had explicit directions to not open the envelope and to give it ONLY to authorities in Customs at the Port of Entry at JFK. Well, this women refused him entry through the gates without the envelope. So, he gave it to her. As she opened it, however, he panicked. His heart dropped. He then took it from her and returned to the check-in gates. Delta told him to return to the embassy to get another seal. He screamed, "I will miss my flight if I do that. My fiance is waiting for me. I need you to fix this!" After a hostile screaming match between he and them, A White American Delta employee intervened and called Customs at JFK and explained the mistake. He told Abeku things would be okay in New York. Needless to say, Abeku was distressed all the way to JFK thinking he would be turned back. (By the way I got a one-way ticket from Accra to JFK for just $1155.) In the meantime, I called Customs and Border Patrol @718-553-1688 in New York and got a verification that Abeku would be fine with his opened envelope. Thanks to God, Abeku did indeed go through customs without any problems. Please tell your loved ones in Ghana, however, to not allow airport employees in Accra to open your sealed envelope. THEY DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY TO DO SO!!!!

In the meantime, Abeku is here. Thank God he spoke up and refused to be intimidated by a few nasty and incompetent workers. God is on our side. Again, His mercy endureth forever.

Akua, Faithfully Waiting on the Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Whoa, I can see how that would stress you out! How did you get to know about this disaster?

Anyway, I am glad he made it through immigrations and customs okay and very happy, you two are together at last!:-)

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Just so folks know - and not that it might have mattered much in the OP's case - all these sealed/do-not-open envelopes have a corner cut - this allows for inspection without opening it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just so folks know - and not that it might have mattered much in the OP's case - all these sealed/do-not-open envelopes have a corner cut - this allows for inspection without opening it.

:thumbs: good to know!

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thankfully, it all worked out well. Best wishes for a happy life together here in the U.S.!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This must happen a lot. In the past month, there have been several posts of VJ about their SO opening their envelopes. Don't these have a big "Do Not Open" posted on them? I already told my fiancee a few times to NOT open that envelope and she gets upset when I mention it (she says..uhh I can read ya know??), but I keep thinking about the people here that have their SO's open these letters and then they have to go back to embassy and try to get things back and order.

I know this is different than the OP, and it's good that this issue of the Delta gate person is being brought up (I'm sure this has happened before). I will definitely let my fiancee know, that NO ONE but a US Customs Agent should touch that envelope! And if the airlines' gate person has problems have then she needs to have them call for US Customs agent. :thumbs:

~Johnny~

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Indeed good information ,thanks !!

K-1 Visa

11/03/09:I-129F sent to VSC

11/06/09:NOA1

03/02/10:NOA2 !!!

05/24/10:Interview!!-Approved!

POE: 28th June

AOS

07/20/2010: AOS sent

07/21/2010: Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/27/2010:text and email notifications received,cheque cashed!

07/30/2010:NOA1 received for EAD

08/02/2010:NOA1s for AOS/AP received

08/11/2010: AP touched

08/18/2010:I-485 transferred to CSC

08/19/2010:I-485 touched, 08/24: I-485 physically in CSC now,08/25 :I-485 touched

08/27/2010:put in service request with USCIS for Biometrics letter

09/08/2010:AP approved and EAD touched

09/11/2010:AP and EAD touched

09/14/2010:Biometrics walk-in successful (10/01/2010:Original biometrics appt)

09/13/2010:AP last touched

09/14/2010:EAD card production ordered and AOS touched

09/15/2010:EAD and AOS touched

09/20/2010:Received AP in the mail

09/24/2010:EAD in mail

10/13/2010:GC card production ordered

10/14 and 10/15: AOS touched

10/20/2010: GC received- Done with USCIS till June,2012

My humble blog:

http://songbird24.wordpress.com/

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry but no. Mine didn't. I'm also pretty sure none of the other Aussies that I've spoken with had theirs with cuts either. Mine was 100% sealed and undamaged with a huge "DO NOT OPEN" sticker" Sounds like the "cut" is a country specific thing or perhaps a new measure.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Sorry but no. Mine didn't. I'm also pretty sure none of the other Aussies that I've spoken with had theirs with cuts either. Mine was 100% sealed and undamaged with a huge "DO NOT OPEN" sticker" Sounds like the "cut" is a country specific thing or perhaps a new measure.

Sorry but YES.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I am pretty sure mine was closed all the way- I remember because I was trying to take a glimpse inside and there was no way to see anything. What makes you so sure that they all have that?

On another note: I had my envelope in my carry-on bag and nobody even asked me for it when I checked in or went through security nor when I boarded. I only took it out at my POE and once someone saw me with it, I got taken out of the line to get processed.

I guess based on my visa they would have known about me having an envelope but yeah, It didn't even accure to me that someone would want to see it when I left my homecountry but now it seems that's common practice?!?

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Abeku went to the aiport on Friday, April 2, 2010 with his passport/visa. Although he got processed without any problems at check-in, an employee at one of the gates insisted that he hand over his sealed envelope for inspection. Abeku protested saying that he had explicit directions to not open the envelope and to give it ONLY to authorities in Customs at the Port of Entry at JFK. Well, this women refused him entry through the gates without the envelope. So, he gave it to her. As she opened it, however, he panicked. His heart dropped. He then took it from her and returned to the check-in gates. Delta told him to return to the embassy to get another seal. He screamed, "I will miss my flight if I do that. My fiance is waiting for me. I need you to fix this!" After a hostile screaming match between he and them, A White American Delta employee intervened and called Customs at JFK and explained the mistake. He told Abeku things would be okay in New York. Needless to say, Abeku was distressed all the way to JFK thinking he would be turned back. (By the way I got a one-way ticket from Accra to JFK for just $1155.) In the meantime, I called Customs and Border Patrol @718-553-1688 in New York and got a verification that Abeku would be fine with his opened envelope. Thanks to God, Abeku did indeed go through customs without any problems. Please tell your loved ones in Ghana, however, to not allow airport employees in Accra to open your sealed envelope. THEY DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY TO DO SO!!!!

In the meantime, Abeku is here. Thank God he spoke up and refused to be intimidated by a few nasty and incompetent workers. God is on our side. Again, His mercy endureth forever.

I am really sorry that happen, i am an Airline employee and every agent knows WE R NOT ALLOW TO OPEN ENVELOPE!!!

oct 2007*met
05nov2007*started dating
02jan2010*engaged
13feb2010*sent I-129F
17feb2010*cashed check and received at VSC
24feb2010*NOA1
12May2010*** got NOA2 approval on email.
13may2010*** sent appr to NVC
17may2010***NVC received.
17May2010*** Got NOA2 approval hard copy.
25may2010*** embassy received...
30may2010***got NVC case number on mail.
17Sep2010*Interview date yayyyyyyyy *****APPROVED*****
16oct2010* POE Newark, NJ sooo easy...
26Oct2010* applied for SSN
10Nov2010* Wedding
27Nov2010* AOS/EAD sent.
29Nov2010* Forms arrived at facility
09Dec2010* Received notification email.
13Dec2010* NOA1/touched/SSN received
10Jan2011* biometrics in Elizabeth, NJ
15Jan2011* AOS case transfer to CSC
21Jan2011* AOS Arrived to CSC.
10Feb2011* EAD Approved
15Feb2011* Another MSG of approval of EAD?
16Feb2011* got email about letter of EAD approval on mail.
18Feb2011* got m EAD Card...
22Feb2011* AOS approved
26Feb2011* GC Received on the mail
27Nov2012* Sent the I-751 (same day as the AOS/EAD!!!!)
29Nov2012* I-751 received at facility
08Dec2012* Got an ROE sad.png hubby sent only copies
10DEc2012* sent I-751 again with originals lol
12Dec2012* Received at facility
17dec2012* Got NOA extending my residence for one year!!!
16jan2013* Biometrics done

2may2013* RFE need more evidence cray5ol.gifthey dont think it is enough

Timeline

Whoa, I can see how that would stress you out! How did you get to know about this disaster?

Anyway, I am glad he made it through immigrations and customs okay and very happy, you two are together at last!:-)

Hello Nane:

Thanks for the well wishes. I found out about the near disaster because he borrowed someone's phone at the airport at 4 a.m. Ohio time and called me in a panick. So, between his front desk crisis and my many telephone calls starting at 8 a.m. to several numbers to Delta, and later Customs, we were able to bring about some resolution to this near crisis. Again, I thank God for everything working out.

I wish you the best as well. Take care.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I crossed at a land crossing, so fortunately I didn't have to deal with any intrusive airport personnel.

My "Do not open" K-1 envelope, issued at Vancouver Canada, didn't have a cut corner either. It was actually two envelopes, both white, one quite a bit thicker than the other, both marked "Do not open". There was an elastic holding the two together, with a cover letter on the outside. They may or may not have been stapled together, I don't recall. The thinner envelope contained the three copies of my medical, and the thicker one was the rest of my immigration file up to that point. The cover letter just described that I had been issued a nonimmigrant fiance visa, repeated the instruction not to open these envelopes, and reiterated the time limit for PoEing and marrying, and repeated the eventual necessity to AOS.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

I am really sorry that happen, i am an Airline employee and every agent knows WE R NOT ALLOW TO OPEN ENVELOPE!!!

Thank you for you compassion for our circumstance. Again, please note that I was very careful when I said a "few" airline employees were the source of our aggravation. I have had very, very good experiences with airline employees over the years. I pray that Abeku's crisis was just a fluke. I wish you the best.

I am pretty sure mine was closed all the way- I remember because I was trying to take a glimpse inside and there was no way to see anything. What makes you so sure that they all have that?

On another note: I had my envelope in my carry-on bag and nobody even asked me for it when I checked in or went through security nor when I boarded. I only took it out at my POE and once someone saw me with it, I got taken out of the line to get processed.

I guess based on my visa they would have known about me having an envelope but yeah, It didn't even accure to me that someone would want to see it when I left my homecountry but now it seems that's common practice?!?

Oh yeah!!! they have to make sure the type of visa you have is caming with the envelope, probably, and as I see it, maybe the processed you as an European with the VWP program instead of using the K1visa... not that was bad for you, not that, just for the agent...lol... Before, the information of the pax, as passport, country of residence and all that information wasnt need it to check in, just to make sure you are legally allow to travel to the country, but now all the information of pax has to be send... I guess now, if a employee made that mistake the airline would be in some trouble...

oct 2007*met
05nov2007*started dating
02jan2010*engaged
13feb2010*sent I-129F
17feb2010*cashed check and received at VSC
24feb2010*NOA1
12May2010*** got NOA2 approval on email.
13may2010*** sent appr to NVC
17may2010***NVC received.
17May2010*** Got NOA2 approval hard copy.
25may2010*** embassy received...
30may2010***got NVC case number on mail.
17Sep2010*Interview date yayyyyyyyy *****APPROVED*****
16oct2010* POE Newark, NJ sooo easy...
26Oct2010* applied for SSN
10Nov2010* Wedding
27Nov2010* AOS/EAD sent.
29Nov2010* Forms arrived at facility
09Dec2010* Received notification email.
13Dec2010* NOA1/touched/SSN received
10Jan2011* biometrics in Elizabeth, NJ
15Jan2011* AOS case transfer to CSC
21Jan2011* AOS Arrived to CSC.
10Feb2011* EAD Approved
15Feb2011* Another MSG of approval of EAD?
16Feb2011* got email about letter of EAD approval on mail.
18Feb2011* got m EAD Card...
22Feb2011* AOS approved
26Feb2011* GC Received on the mail
27Nov2012* Sent the I-751 (same day as the AOS/EAD!!!!)
29Nov2012* I-751 received at facility
08Dec2012* Got an ROE sad.png hubby sent only copies
10DEc2012* sent I-751 again with originals lol
12Dec2012* Received at facility
17dec2012* Got NOA extending my residence for one year!!!
16jan2013* Biometrics done

2may2013* RFE need more evidence cray5ol.gifthey dont think it is enough

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.