birdyconfused

Best evidence in my situation?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey folks

It looks like im in a tricky situation.

My Conditional GC expire in March. Since obtaining my GC I have been living overseas (not on govt. or military duty) and visited couple of times in order to keep the GC. Now we plan to come back to US permanently and removal of conditions is a big question for us. We'll be staying with my brother in law in the beginning before I get a job.

During this period we didnt have anything jointly in our names in the US. Though we have US accounts separately but no signifcant transaction has been made in that account and we never filed any tax returns in USA.

We've been married for 4 years by the time we come back to US. We have a 2.5 yrs old son and our second baby is on the way (expected in May). We've loads of pictures together and wonderful relationship :)

What is the best that we can do in order to provide evidence for I-751? My GC expires by 25th march and we plan to arrive in US by the end of January. I'd highly appreciate any suggestions.

What I have in mind is that as soon as we arrive:

• Get a joint lease agreement
  • Open a joint bank account and put couple of thosand pounds in it
  • Get a car in our names
  • Get family health insurance

Do you know any example who's been in the similar boat?

Regards

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can not visit to maintain a GC, you live here and visit elsewhere.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

That wasn't the question. Question is what evidence can I prepare and present in order to remove conditions in that short span of time.

You can not visit to maintain a GC, you live here and visit elsewhere.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can present evidence from your time abroad also, ie bonafide relationship evidence (joint bills etc there), and affidavit of relationship letters from friends and family who know you have a good marriage.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

You cannot remove the conditions of your permanent residency, because you have abandoned it already. Seriously, do you really think USCIS would overlook your absence from the US for all this time? Do you know they have computers now?

Your only viable option now is to go the CR-1 route.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Bob! thanks for this extraordinary piece of information about computers. I am already on CR-I and I pretty much know that they would know how long I've been living abroad since becoming an LPR and I am not going to hide it anyways. I am quite positive that I can get my conditions removed if i can convince them that I intend to live in USA permanently. The question asked was, what sort of evidence I might produce in my circumstance not the judgment that I've already abandoned my permanent residency. This would be decided, I believe, by officer at PoE the next time I land into JFK. If I'd be present in the states that would mean I haven't abandoned my permanent residence.

You cannot remove the conditions of your permanent residency, because you have abandoned it already. Seriously, do you really think USCIS would overlook your absence from the US for all this time? Do you know they have computers now?

Your only viable option now is to go the CR-1 route.

Hey folks

My Conditional GC expire in March. Since obtaining my GC I have been living overseas (not on govt. or military duty) and visited couple of times in order to keep the GC. Now we plan to come back to US permanently and removal of conditions is a big question for us. We'll be staying with my brother in law in the beginning before I get a job.

During this period we didnt have anything jointly in our names in the US. Though we have US accounts separately but no signifcant transaction has been made in that account and we never filed any tax returns in USA.

We've been married for 4 years by the time we come back to US. We have a 2.5 yrs old son and our second baby is on the way (expected in May). We've loads of pictures together and wonderful relationship :)

What is the best that we can do in order to provide evidence for I-751? My GC expires by 25th march and we plan to arrive in US by the end of January. I'd highly appreciate any suggestions.

• Get a car in our names

Regards

Your stated options sounds very good. Joint lease agreement,joint accounts,car in both names , etc sounds all very convincing. If you filed taxes it should be good too.Try your best to gather as much as you can. If your spouse was with you abroad, show the flight info, some pictures taken together abroad. Just show that you were together there too. You might have no problems whatsoever.

Don't get discouraged!

Hey folks

• Get a car in our names

Regards

Get wills and life insurance.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You may want to consult an qualified immigration attorney to determine the best course of action as from what you have stated your residence has been principally outside the US.

Have you folks been filing US income tax returns while residing abroad? If not, you may want to get those caught up so that you can present copies in your submission.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Have you folks been filing US income tax returns while residing abroad? If not, you may want to get those caught up so that you can present copies in your submission.

Apparently not, first post.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hey folks

• Get a car in our names

Regards

Hi,

I am not in a similar situation, but what you need to provide is evidence that you were living together overseas.

1. You mentioned pictures - very good.

2. Child together - good (provide copy of birth certificate showing you and your spouse as the parents - ofcourse)

3. and what would be a good idea is affidavits from your family and your spouses family.

4. When you came to the US, did you travel with your USC spouse? If yes, then include itineraries and information about that together-travel.

5. You might want to write a short letter explaining the reason you were living overseas.

Items you listed after arriving in the US are important and you should include them.

you are indeed in a tricky situation, so you might want to consult with an attorney if money is not an issue. If you have been married for 4 years, then maybe an option is to file again for AOS (ask attorney) and that will allow you to obtain a 10-year GC since you marriage is longer than 2 years. This time, however, you must remain in the US to keep your status affective.

Take what I said as a "thought" and not as what should be done. Just sharing my opinion.

Good luck!!!

No one on VJ knows the circumstances why you had to be out of the US, so some of the replies are ridiculously insensitive and thoughtless.

You may want to consult an qualified immigration attorney to determine the best course of action as from what you have stated your residence has been principally outside the US.

Agree!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

Indeed, an attorney might be a good idea.

Also, proof of bonafide while you guys lives abroad --- leases, bank statements, etc.

It is imperative you file those late tax returns, pronto.

Good luck, but prepare for a bumpy road.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First and foremost the CBP needs to let you enter the USA.... Once that happens, then your list of possible evidence only covers what appears to be a very short period of time (from re-entry to date of removal filing)... The USCIS will want to see evidence representative of the two year period of your conditional residency...

YMMV

Filed: Timeline
First and foremost the CBP needs to let you enter the USA.... Once that happens, then your list of possible evidence only covers what appears to be a very short period of time (from re-entry to date of removal filing)... The USCIS will want to see evidence representative of the two year period of your conditional residency...

But wouldn't evidence of shared resources/domicile abroad would also count brother?

Though I agree, the chances of success are not very good :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
But wouldn't evidence of shared resources/domicile abroad would also count brother?

Though I agree, the chances of success are not very good :(

IDK... but it was not on her list.... she only indicated evidence gathered after re-entry and before filing. She certainly would be advidsed to expand her scope.... but IDK if that info will be helpful or damming to her success

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.