mistyblkrose33

Stopped the Interview

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

O.k., I am officially about to loose my mind. Does anyone know anything that I can do about this situation. My fiance was in his interview and he says that man that he talked to asked him over seventy questions. He then asked for the number of his family and they started asking them questions. My father to be told him that he did not know if I was married before and the man hung up and told my fiance that he was lying to him and told him that he was sending the papers back to immigration. #######.... that did not say that they were going to be grilling his parents too. Please help me someone on I don't have any patience and I hate being to NO after jumping through every hoop they put other there. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

MistyBlkRose

event.png

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Wow--so they called up his parents. Man, I've not heard that before.

Hmm, someone will come along and offer more concrete advice regarding petitions sent back to USCIS.

Was it denied outright or were more documents requested? Were you present at the interview?

I'm sorry about your situations but Morocco is super hard.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline
Wow--so they called up his parents. Man, I've not heard that before.

Hmm, someone will come along and offer more concrete advice regarding petitions sent back to USCIS.

Was it denied outright or were more documents requested? Were you present at the interview?

I'm sorry about your situations but Morocco is super hard.

I was not at the interview. From what my fiance is saying they did not ask him for anything else. The man just told him that he was lying and that was it. He did mention the man asking him if he spoke English, which he does. He asked him a question in English and the man told him, "Hey you speak perfect English." So it sounds like they were not even willing to listen to him.

Edited by mistyblkrose33

MistyBlkRose

event.png

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Check out the pinned topic in MENA forum. Useful information. Call DOS and see if you can keep the case there and request a second interview in your presence.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
O.k., I am officially about to loose my mind. Does anyone know anything that I can do about this situation. My fiance was in his interview and he says that man that he talked to asked him over seventy questions. He then asked for the number of his family and they started asking them questions. My father to be told him that he did not know if I was married before and the man hung up and told my fiance that he was lying to him and told him that he was sending the papers back to immigration. #######.... that did not say that they were going to be grilling his parents too. Please help me someone on I don't have any patience and I hate being to NO after jumping through every hoop they put other there. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

It's important you realize that something in those 70 questions and answers was unbelievable. If two of the questions were, "Do your parents approve of the marriage?" and "Do your parents know your wife was married before?" and he answered yes to both, then was contradicted by his father, he WAS lying. This is just an example but if they take lying very seriously. If they catch somebody in one lie, they treat it pretty much like parents do with their children, in that they assume there are more lies to go with the one they know about.

To know what to do next, you'll need a detailed report of the interview experience, as close to verbatim as possible.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
It's important you realize that something in those 70 questions and answers was unbelievable. If two of the questions were, "Do your parents approve of the marriage?" and "Do your parents know your wife was married before?" and he answered yes to both, then was contradicted by his father, he WAS lying. This is just an example but if they take lying very seriously. If they catch somebody in one lie, they treat it pretty much like parents do with their children, in that they assume there are more lies to go with the one they know about.

To know what to do next, you'll need a detailed report of the interview experience, as close to verbatim as possible.

So are you saying that this is a trick questions? Because I have never been married, why would that ask him that? I am asking these questions now because I am so overwhelmed that I can even eat breakfast. This is crazy, however, I do understand what you are saying. My fiance can speak English very well, but there are times when I have to rephrase things so that he has a better understand. Thank you very much for this post because you have given me a clearer understand of what just happened. So at this point can I reapply? Does anyone have any idea what my need step should be? All answers are greatly appreciated.

MistyBlkRose

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Morocco is famous for the trick questions. You have to be very focused and answer the questions exactly. For example, my husband was asked "what has your wife done in her 29 years?" rather than answering the question he corrected the CO that I was only 26 at the time. She actually tried to press the issue saying that I'm not 26. Had my husband waivered on his answers in any way there could have been issues.

That all being said, hopefully you'll get a second interview, try to be there if at all possible, and tell your husband to take his time answering, understand the questions, and if something isn't asked correctly he needs to correct them.

The trick questions are annoying but I do think that especially in a high fraud country they're necessary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Consulates in high fraud countries do ask trick questions, but not if they are completely irrelevant. They also don't automatically presume that any incorrect answer is a lie unless they can find evidence that the incorrect answer constitutes an intent to deceive. For example, they aren't going to ask an interviewee what is the value of PI (unless perhaps he/she claims to be a math professor), and then accuse them of lying because they don't know the precise answer (there IS no precise answer). This isn't the kind of trick question they ask because it would be useless as a basis for refusing a visa application.

Consulates apply the "reasonable person" standard when judging whether a relationship is a sham for immigration purposes. In high fraud countries, the "reasonable person" standard is the sledgehammer in their anti-fraud toolbox. If they can show evidence that the relationship deviates from the stereotypical traditional relationship in the beneficiary's country and/or culture in even the slightest way, they can use that as an excuse to deny the visa.

In many cultures, knowledge and consent of the family is considered to be critically important. In some cultures it would be unthinkable for someone to marry without the consent and active participation of their family. When presented with a relationship where there were several possible motives for a person wanting to marry, a "reasonable person" in such a culture would have a hard time believing that someone wanted to marry for traditional reasons if the relationship itself did not conform to tradition.

Something about your case made the CO very suspicious. In order to confirm his suspicions, he pulled out his "sledgehammer" and he used it. Apparently, marrying a divorcee is a big deal in Morocco, and the father of the groom would be expected to know whether his future daughter-in-law had ever been married. He didn't, so the CO concluded that the beneficiary's family doesn't consider this relationship to be serious. If that's enough to set off the "reasonable person" alarms in Morocco, then it's enough to deny the visa.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Consulates apply the "reasonable person" standard when judging whether a relationship is a sham for immigration purposes.
In general, certainly. In Ecuador, almost certainly not -- nearly everyone is presumed to be a fraud, including the USC.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
So are you saying that this is a trick questions? Because I have never been married, why would that ask him that? I am asking these questions now because I am so overwhelmed that I can even eat breakfast. This is crazy, however, I do understand what you are saying. My fiance can speak English very well, but there are times when I have to rephrase things so that he has a better understand. Thank you very much for this post because you have given me a clearer understand of what just happened. So at this point can I reapply? Does anyone have any idea what my need step should be? All answers are greatly appreciated.

Without knowing the facts of your life or the details of the interview, my example was mostly hypothetical but yes, they will try to trip up the applicant to expose fraud. You said there were something like 70 questions. A detailed report of the questions and the answers will bring the picture of what happened in clear focus.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Did you husband send you a copy of the paper he was given? If so does it say denial or request for review? Small words...big difference. Call the CO or go if you are in Casablanca and see if can talk to someone and in the interim get your elected official involved. There is a pined thread in the MENA section that you should go over. I think you are the 6th or 7th denial in the past 2-3 weeks out of Casablanca.

Please read the thread.

Call your senator and get them working on it. They should be able to find out exactly why he was refused a visa.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

I have gone to the MENA forum and read everything there is to read. The paper that my fiance was given did not say that he was denied but that it was going back to the USCIS for review. My question is do we start over at the beginning now, or does anyone have that answer? This is my man he loves me and he has given himself to me in the name of God. I know that I will do whatever it takes to live a long life with him but what step should I take. I have written to my senator and will fax, mail, or whatever I have to do with it asap, but what other action can I take. I would appreciate others who were denied to give me some sound advice. Thanks

I was not the one who had been married before my fiance however has been. I can't believe that are doing this because his father said I don't know if she has been married before.

MistyBlkRose

event.png

I have gone to the MENA forum and read everything there is to read. The paper that my fiance was given did not say that he was denied but that it was going back to the USCIS for review. My question is do we start over at the beginning now, or does anyone have that answer? This is my man he loves me and he has given himself to me in the name of God. I know that I will do whatever it takes to live a long life with him but what step should I take. I have written to my senator and will fax, mail, or whatever I have to do with it asap, but what other action can I take. I would appreciate others who were denied to give me some sound advice. Thanks

I was not the one who had been married before my fiance however has been. I can't believe that are doing this because his father said I don't know if she has been married before.

It is not as simple as starting over. There are people here on VJ who were denied the K visa, went ahead and married there fiance only to be denied again because they ignored the first denial. Now there are some who never received a notice from USICS. Instead USCIS let their cases expire and these people either filed a new application or married their fiance.

If you move this to MENA many of these people will jump in to guide you. There is a lawyer also named Marc Ellis who also tries to assist those who have had petitions returned or denied.

Are you in Casa? Did you seek information from the Consulate? What did they say? Last week another VJer was denied in Casa but was able to secure a second interview for the very next week. But again she was denied. Second interviews are hard to come by but can happen. In the meantime try to dissect the Q &A from the CO's perspective. What "red flags" were raised? How may visits have you had? Is there a huge age difference? His father not knowing about any previous marriages may seem insignificant but in MENA land they know the family structure is very important and all details are expected to be known by the in-laws. IMO I find it a bit strange they called his father. This makes me assume they had already reached a point in the Q &A where they were less then pleased with your fiance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.