againstthegrain

K1 Financial requirements (w/ co-sponsor)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I'm trying to get more details on the financial requirements that apply to the K1 visa. In the searching I've done, it seems the income requirement is 125% of the official poverty line, and my father can co-sponsor for me to meet this requirement.

I, however, spent 2006-2007 abroad (where I met my fiancee), and I had no official reported income. I was teaching English and being paid in cash, and my income would have been far below U.S. poverty level (although I was quite comfortable with that income in the country I was living in). None of it was ever deposited in a bank account, and I didn't file any income tax those years.

I read that, even if you have a co-sponsor, the same income documents are still required. Is this true? What if I didn't have a bank account or any income tax returns (unless I go back to 2005)? Anyone know?

Thanks,

- Daniel

Edited by againstthegrain

• 5 months later...
I'm trying to get more details on the financial requirements that apply to the K1 visa. In the searching I've done, it seems the income requirement is 125% of the official poverty line, and my father can co-sponsor for me to meet this requirement.

I, however, spent 2006-2007 abroad (where I met my fiancee), and I had no official reported income. I was teaching English and being paid in cash, and my income would have been far below U.S. poverty level (although I was quite comfortable with that income in the country I was living in). None of it was ever deposited in a bank account, and I didn't file any income tax those years.

I read that, even if you have a co-sponsor, the same income documents are still required. Is this true? What if I didn't have a bank account or any income tax returns (unless I go back to 2005)? Anyone know?

Thanks,

- Daniel

Hello there Daniel,

I just read your post. I would like to share something I am not sure if this applies to your country. I am from Philippines. I just had my interview last July 30, 2008. I asked about co-sponsor but here in Philippine Consulate they don't accept co-sponsors on K1 Visa. I am not sure if same there in your country.

My fiance's income tax didn't reach the poverty level too cos he just had his job August 2007. So we're asked for proof that he's earning over $14,000 cos that's the amount needed for 2 person, my fiance and I. So we provided his salary history from August of 2007 up to the last salary he had this year which is July 2008. And they accepted it. Do you have any current jobs this year?

-richel-

Edited by egwgewggewgegewge
9609146D057AA80CDF2E2C50BA3CBB48.png

Thanks,

- Daniel

Hello there Daniel,

I just read your post. I would like to share something I am not sure if this applies to your country. I am from Philippines. I just had my interview last July 30, 2008. I asked about co-sponsor but here in Philippine Consulate they don't accept co-sponsors on K1 Visa. I am not sure if same there in your country.

My fiance's income tax didn't reach the poverty level too cos he just had his job August 2007. So we're asked for proof that he's earning over $14,000 cos that's the amount needed for 2 person, my fiance and I. So we provided his salary history from August of 2007 up to the last salary he had this year which is July 2008. And they accepted it. Do you have any current jobs this year?

-richel-

I asked about co-sponsor but here in Philippine Consulate they don't accept co-sponsors on K1 Visa.

Wrong! 99.9% of the time USEM does allow co sponsors for K1s.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks,

- Daniel

Hello there Daniel,

-richel-

I asked about co-sponsor but here in Philippine Consulate they don't accept co-sponsors on K1 Visa.

co-sponsor for K1 visa or I-129F petition is not allowed in US Embassy Manila. you are only allowed to have a con-sponsor when you are already in US and filing for I-864 (AOS).

My I-129F timeline link

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186087

AOS

03/16/2009 - AOS & EAD application mailed

03/18/2009 - package delivered in Chicago Lockbox (day 1)

03/24/2009 - checked cashed by USCIS (day 7)

03/24/2009 - NOA1 for AOS & EAD notice date

03/26/2009 - received hardcopy of NOA1 for AOS and EAD (day 9)

03/26/2009 - Biometrics appointment notice date for AOS and EAD

03/30/2009 - received hardcopy of Biometrics appt. date for AOS and EAD (day 13)

04/13/2009 - Biometrics schedule for AOS and EAD (day 27)

04/13/2009 - Biometrics Done

05/11/2009 - EAD Card Production Ordered (day 55)

05/14/2009 - EAD Card Production Ordered Again (day 58)

05/18/2009 - email from CRIS EAD Approval Notice Sent (day 62)

05/18/2009 - EAD Approval Notice received - card attached (day 62)

05/20/2009 - applied SSN and State ID

05/29/2009 - received from mail SSN

05/30/2009 - received from mail state ID

08/17/2009 - Department of Homeland in Reno interview schedule

thank God, it was so easy interview and it took us 5mins then i was approved.

08/24/2009 - got my temporary residence card.

"God is good all the time..."

"believe in what your eyes can't see but can only be felt in your heart, its faith..."

"As we go thru complying our case requirements, give us Lord your strength, englightenment and lead us the way..."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks,

- Daniel

Read through the instructions for the I-864 ( http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf ) to learn what is required when a tax return isn't filed. You will need to submit an I-864 when your fiance adjusts her status after marriage. The I-864 guidelines are a good template for completing the I-134.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Thanks,

- Daniel

You father can co-sponsor if he can show sufficient income to support both his household and both of you at 125% of the poverty level. As to your personal income evidence, simply include a simple memorandum (include case #) and sign it to explain your situation.

• 7 months later...
Timeline

Thanks,

- Daniel

Hello there Daniel,

-richel-

hello there....im in teh stage of gathering the requiremnets for my interview. my fiance cannot meet the required income. i am confused if we can use his sister to be his co sponsor?i have ready many posts here that consulate here in manila doenst accept co sponsor?im worried if i get deny...

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Thanks,

- Daniel

Hello there Daniel,

-richel-

hello there....im in teh stage of gathering the requiremnets for my interview. my fiance cannot meet the required income. i am confused if we can use his sister to be his co sponsor?i have ready many posts here that consulate here in manila doenst accept co sponsor?im worried if i get deny...

Read my post...its not 99.9% of the time that USEM accepts co sponsor on k1. I'd hate to think that im one of the 0.1% that got denied.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233036

Edited by imBlank

• 4 months later...
Timeline

<!--quoteo(post=2086499:date=Aug 5 2008, 08:52 PM:name=egwgewggewgegewge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (egwgewggewgegewge @ Aug 5 2008, 08:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2086499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1599618:date=Feb 21 2008, 05:59 PM:name=againstthegrain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (againstthegrain @ Feb 21 2008, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1599618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm trying to get more details on the financial requirements that apply to the K1 visa. In the searching I've done, it seems the income requirement is 125% of the official poverty line, and my father can co-sponsor for me to meet this requirement.

Thanks,

- Daniel<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello there Daniel,

-richel-

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree! I'ts 100% the USEM does allow co sponsors for K1.

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So the Phillipines DOES Accept K1 Co-Sponsor? Has anybody done this recently, and/or were there any special circumstances that perhaps got you approved/denied?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So the Phillipines DOES Accept K1 Co-Sponsor? Has anybody done this recently, and/or were there any special circumstances that perhaps got you approved/denied?

The US Embassy in Manila has never published a formal policy about this. A few years ago someone sent an email to the embassy asking about this, and got a fairly detailed response. Here's a link to the post.

In a nutshell, they might accept a joint sponsor for a K1 visa if the petitioner has a very good reason for not having sufficient income (they're a student, for example), they have good prospects for future income (they recently graduated, or will be graduating soon), and the sponsor has a strong motive to follow through with a legally binding affidavit of support after the beneficiary arrives in the US and marries the petitioner (a close family member).

On the other hand, a petitioner with a low fixed income (retired, disabled, or unskilled worker) is not likely to get approved with a joint sponsor. Likewise, a joint sponsor who is less likely to follow through with a binding affidavit of support (a friend, distant relative, or employer) is not likely to be accepted.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A 4-year-old zombie post has been resurrected.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** closing zombie thread. When replying to a thread, please look at the date of the OP and the last reply ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.