Cassie

Stop stop stop stop saying this word!!!!!

165 posts in this topic

All I know is that Cassie is a very nice person and I have seen her behave very nicely on VJ over the years. She has always mentioned how she does not like the use of the word retarded and has stated why, and she obviously needed to let off some steam about it. Some of us agree with her, and some don't. Cassie is a very mature woman IMO. :thumbs:

sister cassie is a peach..i have no issue with her view and she did not ahve to explain but did...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's interesting you compared it to the word "moron", which is actually also a clinical description (has to do with where a person falls on the IQ scale). Technically, it SHOULD be at the same "offensiveness" level as "retarded" since they both are based on medical condition, yet use of "moron" does not evoke the same kind of moral grandstanding as has been evidenced here. Do I think it's okay to call someone who IS developmentally challenged a "moron" or a "retard"? No, I think it is in extremely poor taste. Do I think it's a big deal if someone calls someone who is unimpaired the name? No, not at all. It's all about when and where it's being used for me.

Moron is actually a more general term than retarded. I think that moron isn't nearly as offensive because nowadays, it refers to a foolish person, not a mental disability. In the field of psychology, it was used to refer to a person with the observed cognitive abilities of 10-year-old, give or take a couple of years. I remember a teacher in elementary school telling us that calling a first grader a moron was actually a compliment. I never forgot that.

I don't think it's a valid argument, though, to say that retarded shouldn't be considered offensive because other words once used in the psychological profession--moron, imbecile, idiot, for example--now have more or less mainstream derogatory uses. Language is dynamic, and how a word is commonly understood in a certain milieu (there's a ten-cent word) is what defines it, not what the word meant in the past.

OK, I'm starting to get geeky (I majored in linguistics). :blush:

The point is, be considerate!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
i dont think DEMANDING ppl to stop using a word is any more mature than ppl using the word. :whistle:

and its just a word, theres nothing wrong with it, its a problem when ppl see or hear the word and think of it being used as bad thing, its another thing to realise its just a word and you cant tell ppl what words to use when they talk. i say f**ktard and tard or retarded alot, i surely dont associate it with the mentally challenged. retarded can also mean dorky or stupid acting, NOT NESSISARILY mentally challenged. if you have a prob with the word, thats fine, but you cant tell ppl not to use it.

and then there is the word "ionescued" which means someone got their panties in a bunch.

No bunching panites on MY end today, cant say that on other ppls ends tho :)

all that means is you've not been paying attention :whistle:

I have charles, all i did was put my 2 cents in, if thats my panties in a wad, then your panties fell up your ####### a long time ago :P:innocent:

you musta missed something in the ask god thread recently :innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
i dont think DEMANDING ppl to stop using a word is any more mature than ppl using the word. :whistle:

and its just a word, theres nothing wrong with it, its a problem when ppl see or hear the word and think of it being used as bad thing, its another thing to realise its just a word and you cant tell ppl what words to use when they talk. i say f**ktard and tard or retarded alot, i surely dont associate it with the mentally challenged. retarded can also mean dorky or stupid acting, NOT NESSISARILY mentally challenged. if you have a prob with the word, thats fine, but you cant tell ppl not to use it.

and then there is the word "ionescued" which means someone got their panties in a bunch.

I have charles, all i did was put my 2 cents in, if thats my panties in a wad, then your panties fell up your ####### a long time ago :P:innocent:

you asked for nads? :P

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Timeline

why, did you beat me to that request?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

"Retarded" or "retard" has a place, function and purpose, like most words. There's nothing inherently wrong with the word itself -- it's just a word. Contrary to popular opinion, words themselves cannot hurt you. The purpose and intention behind the word, however, can hurt you.

This is what is often meant when people say "no one can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them." It's true. If you believe (or care) what someone else says, then you might end up feeling bad if someone else has attempted to insult you. If you let their words slide off you, then their effort will have no effect (other than, perhaps, merely being an annoyance).

I think the same is true with the word "retarded." If you allow others to get under your skin and cause you pain (and that's just what they're hoping they'll do), then the word will quickly become a negative. If you don't let it bother you, then not only will the users of the word probably cease their activity (they won't be getting the reaction they desire), but you won't be upset or angry. It's a win-win situation all around. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
"Retarded" or "retard" has a place, function and purpose, like most words. There's nothing inherently wrong with the word itself -- it's just a word. Contrary to popular opinion, words themselves cannot hurt you. The purpose and intention behind the word, however, can hurt you.

This is what is often meant when people say "no one can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them." It's true. If you believe (or care) what someone else says, then you might end up feeling bad if someone else has attempted to insult you. If you let their words slide off you, then their effort will have no effect (other than, perhaps, merely being an annoyance).

I think the same is true with the word "retarded." If you allow others to get under your skin and cause you pain (and that's just what they're hoping they'll do), then the word will quickly become a negative. If you don't let it bother you, then not only will the users of the word probably cease their activity (they won't be getting the reaction they desire), but you won't be upset or angry. It's a win-win situation all around. :)

Yep. Well said.

The truth hurts... but people are retarded! I like to say that folks are "clinically retarded"! The term "clinically retarded" is patented. Any such use without the written consent of my organization is subject to punitive damages and potential jail time. :)

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

i knew you needed some so i asked so i can give them to you for christmas :)

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Timeline

i knew you needed some so i asked so i can give them to you for christmas :)

there better not be teeth marks on them this time...........

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

yeah. people look to be offended nowadays.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

We are all a bunch of retards no one perfect lol. We all have some kind of faults.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM