marauder1905

GC Holders & U.S. citizen child - Entering the U.S. after 4 years

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to reach out to the experts here to hear their thoughts on our situation. I have already read several threads about this but every situation is unique and I would love to hear any input.

We got our GC's in 2018 through the DV. My wife and myself are green card holders and we have not entered the U.S. for more than 4 years. As I worked for a U.S. based company but in Europe and in Asia as that is where I was assigned to. After 11 years, I am not working for the same U.S. based employer as of April 2024.

Now I was able to secure a job from another company in the U.S. so we will be moving there. Our son is a US citizen as he was born in the U.S in 2015.

We have also filed our taxes for 2018-2023. We have never technically lived in the U.S. but I have always been employed by the same U.S. based company hoping that I would get transferred to our HQ in the U.S., which never happened unfortunately.

We want to take our chances and we are flying to the U.S. in June/July. My wife and myself have 10 year passports expiring in 2028 while our son has a U.S. passport. Would you have any comments to facilitate our entry into the U.S.?

Other details: We bought a one way ticket. We are shipping our things with a container to the U.S. as that is where we want to live. If we are pressured, we will not be signing the I-407 as we will be requesting to see an immigration judge. (which I hope doesn't happen)

Thank you,
Edited by TBoneTX

If you have valid green cards, you should be able to reenter. Especially with one way tickets, employment in the US and the US citizen kid. Usually a US citizen child doesn't grant any benefits for parents on tourist visas etc, but you're LPRs. Bring all the paperwork, stay cool, friendly and firm so CBP sees you're coming for good.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do not sign the I 407

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
12 hours ago, marauder1905 said:

Thank you both!

Any thoughts on "best" port of entries to enter without any trouble? Or any specific ones we should definitely avoid? 

Would it not depend on the Officer you will talk with more than anything else.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.