sean126

Help, please. B2 tourist visas for 2 relatives in Colombia.

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello....

I respectfully looked and researched before asking this.  

My wife and I, in the USA, are trying to get b2 tourist visas for her brother and nephew who live in Colombia.  I filed 2 separate visas (nephew is 21, dad is 53) so as one doesn't potentially knock the other out of getting approved.  

I think i made a mistake.  I paid for the visas tonight but didn't set the appointments yet.  My question is...does anyone know how or if i can schedule their appointments together in Bogota or did i screw myself by filing and paying the fees before finding the answer to my question?

Thanks for any assistance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

present wail time for B1/B2  in Bogata is

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 685 Calendar Days

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

present wail time for B1/B2  in Bogata is

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2) 685 Calendar Days

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

While I appreciate the reply,  I dont think you read my post.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
3 hours ago, sean126 said:

My wife and I, in the USA, are trying to get b2 tourist visas for her brother and nephew who live in Colombia.  I filed 2 separate visas (nephew is 21, dad is 53) so as one doesn't potentially knock the other out of getting approved.  

I am confused. 

On another note, I'm not sure if you're familiar with US Embassy Bogota and their B-2 process. But I'll reserve that sicne it's not what you asked. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am intrigued as to why you are involved at all.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, jan22 said:

A couple of important corrections.  First — you did not pay for the visas.  You paid for the application processing and visa interview.  It may or may not result in a visa.  Second — you cannot get them visas.  They must qualify for them in their own merits.

Two applications had to be filed.  There is no option for two people to be processed on one visa application/fee payment.

To specifically answer your question — you must pay the fee before you can schedule the visa interview.   You will need the MRV fee receipt number to get to the interview scheduling site, so you are going in the right order.  They will need two appointments, but you can schedule them on the same day (on any day that has two interview slots open, that is). 

Geeze....yeah, you got me on all the techical terminology that you pointed out.  By your more detailed response here I can see you took the time to read my initial post and my question.  If you felt a certain kinda way by me pointing out before that I didn't think you had, I understand "tone" is hard to interpret on the internet....I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, but In my defense I never asked how long the wait time was and you really didn't put your answer of "685 days" in context.  You simply stated it, which left me with only one conclusion, considering I never asked about it.  Hopefully you can understand.

With the helpful guides and members here 16 years ago I was able to complete a successful fiance visa process without paying an attorney. Respectfully, while I may have used the wrong terminology in my latest post and had people assume wrong conclusions about me and my limited knowledge of visas, I can understand why some would scratch their heads and say, "WTH?" on my latest post and at all the ways I apparently phrased things wrong.   I'm just glad my wife doesn't assume when I say, "I'm going to pick up some groceries" that I'm not actually going into a grocery store and stand in the aisles and stand there and repeatedly pick up grocery items like I'm lifting weights and then put them back.  That she understands that I am going to the store, picking out items, pay for said items, place items in my car and take them home with me.  I appreciate you pointing out I should be more precise with my words and phrasing.  It seems the members here were much more laid back  16 years ago.   (For clarification...yes, this my attempt at a light hearted and humorous response to your attention to detail when reading other people's phrasing and words.)

I understand every single thing you said, and that is exactly what I meant.  I can now see that my language was much too casual.  Thankfully you seemed to understand what I had meant.   

I asked if I could get them a group appointment for the visa interview at the same time because I seen a few google responses that showed at other USA embassies there were actually ways you could do that, but I didn't see any answers specifically for Bogota nor did I see an option when I was prompted to schedule their interview dates and times.  So I decided to ask my question before scheduling a date and time for them. I fully understand that I could possibly get them individual interviews on the same day if there are available slots, but didn't seem probable because the website was acting very weird and uncooperative.  On one applicant there would be days in February, then next applicant all the days in February are gone but there would be some in March.  When I went back through it again it would be different dates and times yet again.   I could go into more detail and clarification about the website acting funny....but I tend to get wordy, as you can see.   Besides...it doesn't have anything to do with my original question.  It would only be pointing out that it's not my first time using a computer or filling out paperwork.    

Thank you for taking time to read my post and trying to help.   Sincerely.     

Timeline
3 hours ago, Timona said:

I am confused. 

On another note, I'm not sure if you're familiar with US Embassy Bogota and their B-2 process. But I'll reserve that sicne it's not what you asked. 

I was trying to be brief because people today tend to not want to read a long drawn out post.   

My wife is Colombian.  16 years ago, with the help of this website, it's guides and it's members, I was able to successfully complete a fiance visa...for my wife...because she didn't speak or read English very well at the time.   Now, after 16 years of marriage we'd like to help attain a tourist visa for her brother and his son, which is her nephew, to come and visit us.    I put their ages in my post because I wasn't sure if I'd get responses based on the wrong assumptions about my nephew age.  I wasn't sure if you could put infants or toddlers on the parents B2 visa application because I never looked at that question and didn't want responses here dwelling on the wrong things.  So, to try to avoid that I stated their ages so readers would know they are both adult age.  It looks like that didn't work and was unnecessary as it seems to have added confusion.   I apologize for the confusion.

yes, I am familiar with the US embassy in Bogota.  No, I am not familiar with the entire B-2 process because it's my first one, but it doesn't seem very confusing, even though I had my one question....but I understand by my post it makes readers think I'm a complete idiot.

I could go into detail about my statement of making individual visa applications for them, which I fully and completely understand I needed to do, so that neither knocks the other one out of getting approved but I realize I phrased that completely wrong and there is absolutely no context to it and it's confusing as hell to the readers and it really doesn't have anything to do with my question of is there a way to get them interviews at the same time.   Perhaps I should just delete my entire post and just post my simple question.  However, after looking a little bit I dont' see where I can delete my original post. 

Timeline
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I am intrigued as to why you are involved at all.

(Sigh....)  Well....apparently I should have given a lengthy history and backstory or not even asked a question at all.  It seems since I posted a simple question posters want to correct me, get clarification and a detailed reason why I asked my question.  

Simple fact of the matter is.....16 years ago I used this site, it's guides and with the help of it's members at the time I was able to successfully complete a fiance visa for my (now) Colombian wife.  I am vaguely familiar with the general visa process and since I am the one paying for all of this I wanted to do it myself.   In addition, though I had not specifically done a B-2 visa before...I had done a K-1 and I believe it would be smoother, faster and have a greater chance of being done correctly the first time If I do it myself considering my familiarity with the overall general process of doing the paperwork.  I didn't check to see if the forms are available in Spanish or not, however....considering I am the one paying the fees, airfare and travel expenses if something was done incorrectly I would rather get upset at myself rather than blame someone else for wasted or additional money spent.   As much as I hate to say it out loud....For my own personal reasons, I don't trust them to do it correctly or in a timely manner.  I'm like a dog with a bone.  I don't go on "well, i think it could be this" or "I assume it's that".  I find out, to all extent possible, a specific and certain answer or solution.    In short....I am of the belief that "if you want something done right, ect...".     Then there is the reason they are my brother in-law and nephew.  I don't mind helping family.  I love them.   

I don't know if my reasons make sense...but those are the reasons I am involved in helping my family obtain tourist visas. 

Edited by sean126

Timeline

You seemed to have ticked many of the boxes to ensure they do not obtain Tourist Visas.

I must be doing something wrong, none of my relatives seem to want to cover all my costs.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You seemed to have ticked many of the boxes to ensure they do not obtain Tourist Visas.

I must be doing something wrong, none of my relatives seem to want to cover all my costs.

If you would elaborate,  what boxes have I ticked to ensure they don't obtain tourist visas?  Now I am curious.  

LOL....I guess you ought to be nicer to them.  Mine are poor, barely getting by.  As I said...they're family and I love them so I don't mind helping them.  They never ask me for anything anyway.    

Edited by sean126

Timeline
27 minutes ago, sean126 said:

(Sigh....)  Well....apparently I should have given a lengthy history and backstory or not even asked a question at all.  It seems since I posted a simple question posters want to correct me, get clarification and a detailed reason why I asked my question.  

Simple fact of the matter is.....16 years ago I used this site, it's guides and with the help of it's members at the time I was able to successfully complete a fiance visa for my (now) Colombian wife.  I am vaguely familiar with the general visa process and since I am the one paying for all of this I wanted to do it myself.   In addition, though I had not specifically done a B-2 visa before...I had done a K-1 and I believe it would be smoother, faster and have a greater chance of being done correctly the first time If I do it myself considering my familiarity with the overall general process of doing the paperwork.  I didn't check to see if the forms are available in Spanish or not, however....considering I am the one paying the fees, airfare and travel expenses if something was done incorrectly I would rather get upset at myself rather than blame someone else for wasted or additional money spent.   As much as I hate to say it out loud....For my own personal reasons, I don't trust them to do it correctly or in a timely manner.  I'm like a dog with a bone.  I don't go on "well, i think it could be this" or "I assume it's that".  I find out, to all extent possible, a specific and certain answer or solution.    In short....I am of the belief that "if you want something done right, ect...".     Then there is the reason they are my brother in-law and nephew.  I don't mind helping family.  I love them.   

I don't know if my reasons make sense...but those are the reasons I am involved in helping my family obtain tourist visas. 

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

I have no idea what you mean by what you pointed out.  Not to be a smart aleck....but have you filled out a B-2 before?  It asks on the paperwork who is paying the fees, where you'll be staying, ect.... It even states that a 3rd party can fill out the paperwork for you but you'd have to click the final "submit" button on your end (which they did in Colombia)  I filled in my information as the person filling out the paperwork, paying the visa fee and as the person they'd be staying with, ect.    

I truly do not understand what you are talking about.   Maybe I'm misunderstanding you by me ensuring they aren't going to get a B-2 approved.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, sean126 said:

I have no idea what you mean by what you pointed out.  Not to be a smart aleck....but have you filled out a B-2 before?  It asks on the paperwork who is paying the fees, where you'll be staying, ect.... It even states that a 3rd party can fill out the paperwork for you but you'd have to click the final "submit" button on your end (which they did in Colombia)  I filled in my information as the person filling out the paperwork, paying the visa fee and as the person they'd be staying with, ect.    

I truly do not understand what you are talking about.   Maybe I'm misunderstanding you by me ensuring they aren't going to get a B-2 approved.

Yes I did apply for a B, well for me with me paying etc for me and I was refused.

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

Yes I did apply for a B, well for me with me paying etc for me and I was refused.

You didn't state the reason why you were refused, but my research I've done there is nothing that is wrong or will cause a B-2 to be denied because a 3rd party helps with the application, or if someone else is paying.   The form even has "address where you will be staying", "Person/Entity pay for your trip", "Person paying for your trip", "Is the address of the party paying for your trip the same as your home or mailing address?", "payer's address".  

Maybe I have missed something on Google or on the form but there doesn't seem to be anything that indicates that no one else should or is not allowed to pay the visa fee's or for pay for the applicant's trip.  

Are you saying the consulate specifically told you that you are denied because of who paid for your visa fee and who'd be paying for your trip to...wherever, as you seem to be indicating or is that just an assumption on your part?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.