smilingstone

A few queries/concerns now that I-129F has been sent...

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

I am a first time poster but have been reading over threads for the last few months to help me (UK) and my fiancé (USA) put together our I-129F (post-marked 30th March 2024).

Now that it's been sent, my mind is rattling forward and I'm starting to have some concerns about how we approached (or will at future points approach) my K1 application.

My most recent visit to the US was 16th - 31st March and while I was there we filled out the I-129F together. My fiancé was working Mon - Fri so I helped out by completing my (Beneficiary) sections during my free time. This means that there's a noticeable difference in hand writing when looking at the Petitioner versus Beneficiary sections. We did initially discuss just filling out the form as a PDF file but had some issues with saving our progress on the document. In the end, we decided it was simpler to print them off and handwrite, but now I'm worried. We both had to provide additional information via the blank page at the back, and both signed/dated them so it should be pretty clear that it is my (Beneficiary) handwriting. I can't really find any concrete answers here or elsewhere saying if it's ok to do this or not. Does anyone think that this will pose a problem?

Additionally, in our I-129F, we were only able to include one picture of us together (dated a previous visit in November 2023). Even though we told each other that we should get more pics together, we just aren't the type of people who like to take lots of pics of ourselves and others. I don't think this will pose much of an issue with the I-129F as I've read here that others didn't prioritise pics for evidence. For context, here is a run down of what we included:

1. Two Passport-Sized Photos (Petitioner, Beneficiary)
  2. Form G-1145 for E-Notification of Application Acceptance (1 Page)
  3. Application Fee of $535 via Cashier’s Check
  4. Form I-129F, Petition for K-1 Fiancé(e) for Beneficiary (14 Pages)
  5. Confirmation of Approved ESTA for Beneficiary (5 Pages)
  6. Airline Tickets & Flight Itinerary [November 2023] (3 Pages)
  7. Airbnb Reservation [November 2023] (1 Page)
  8. Boarding Passes to and from the USA for Beneficiary [November 2023] (2 Pages)
  9. Picture Together [November 2023] (1 Page)
  10. Airline Tickets & Flight Itinerary [March 2024] (2 Pages)
  11. Boarding Passes to the USA for Beneficiary [March 2024] (1 Page)
  12. Communication Transcripts (10 Pages)
  13. Fiancé Letter of Intent to Marry within 90 days, executed by Petitioner (1 Page)
  14. Fiancée Letter of Intent to Marry within 90 days, executed by Beneficiary (1 Page)
  15. Statement of Circumstances of Meeting (2 Pages)
  16. Proof of United States Citizenship for Petitioner (2 Pages)
  17. Passport Copy for Beneficiary (1 Page)
  18. Form I-94, Travel History for Beneficiary (2 Pages)

I am now thinking ahead to my K1 interview and whether or not we should really prioritise pics between now and then. If we should, then the timing of my next visit could be challenging. It would not be possible for me to make another trip any sooner than November 2024 and if my interview is scheduled for before then (wishful thinking?) then this could become an issue. It also is unlikely that my fiancé would be able to visit me in the UK between now and then. Does anyone think this will cause difficulties?

It may be quite clear to many of you that with current processing times, there is a very slim chance of me getting an interview date before 2025. This would actually be helpful to us if you do think we should prioritise pics on the next visit.

I am sure that it is probably completely normal to second-guess all of the hard work you have done over months, putting together docs and evidence, as soon as it's sent off and out of your hands. I am just seeking some friendly advice and/or reassurance at this very early stage!

Thank you :) 

[I-129F to K1]

I-129F Sent: 2024-03-3

I-129F NOA1 (Text Received): 2024-04-17

I-129F NOA1 (Mail Received): 2024-04-27

I-129F RFE (USCIS Update): 2024-06-05

I-129F RFE (Mail Received): 2024-06-11

I-129F RFE (Reply Sent): 2024-06-13

You are from the UK. 
You showed enough proof for I129F approval.

As long as you have proof of meeting (boarding passes/stamps in passports in the last 2 years) - photos are weak evidence as they can be from any time frame as you referenced in your OP- you should be fine. 
Just keep on meeting when you can and wait for approval. 

Edited by Redro

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I don't see a problem with handwriting.  Don't overthink, and don't let the "What if" mental gymnastics drive you crazy.   I'm not sure I would have chosen a K-1, but best of luck on your journey.

We opted for the K1 route because I had heard stories from some people pursuing CR1s who had major difficulties with the process (France to USA and UK to USA). They actually advised me to go the K1 route and take things a little slower because it can appear as less of a red flag. We would rather that than potentially have our relationship scrutinized more and applications rejected, particularly as November 2023 was our first physical meeting, despite now knowing each other for 6 years. I see many people filing K1s here and with great success. :)

4 minutes ago, Redro said:

You are from the UK. 
You showed enough proof for I129F approval.

As long as you have proof of meeting (boarding passes/stamps in passports in the last 2 years) - photos are weak evidence as they can be from any time frame as you referenced in your OP- you should be fine. 
Just keep on meeting when you can and wait for approval. 

Thank you for your reassurance, it's very helpful to me right now - I am still jetlagged and emotional!

[I-129F to K1]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, smilingstone said:

We opted for the K1 route because I had heard stories from some people pursuing CR1s who had major difficulties with the process (France to USA and UK to USA). They actually advised me to go the K1 route and take things a little slower because it can appear as less of a red flag. We would rather that than potentially have our relationship scrutinized more and applications rejected, particularly as November 2023 was our first physical meeting, despite now knowing each other for 6 years. I see many people filing K1s here and with great success. :)

I'm not sure where you got that advice, but VJ history proves those notions to be wildly inaccurate. UK and France are not difficult consulates.  Good luck.   The K-1 immigration journey is quite a long trip to a Green Card.  I would strongly suggest you get your advice from Visa Journey.   We are all here to help.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This K-1 flowchart might be helpful:

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

This K-1 flowchart might be helpful:

Thank you for this, it's definitely something I'll be adding to my bookmarks! If I have understood the processing times correctly, we're likely looking at around an 8 month wait to receive our NOA2. I'd estimated around 6 months so if so, I'm not too far off.

Plus I am wondering if "low-risk" countries, such as UK, experience quicker processing times?

29 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I'm not sure where you got that advice, but VJ history proves those notions to be wildly inaccurate. Good luck.   The K-1 immigration journey is quite a long trip to a Green Card.  I would strongly suggest you get your advice from Visa Journey.   We are all here to help.

It was anecdotal from people I know personally. I think one major barrier in this whole process is that the majority of info you can gather is largely anecdotal. USCIS will state numbers and data but it's largely inaccurate due to their own backlogs, other than that I can only read forum posts or advice from websites trying to sell me a service.

I understand that it's better to go from information on VJ as you've all jumped through these hoops, but again, your accounts are so varied and dependent on individual circumstances (length of relationship, nature of meeting, specific consulate, etc). In the end, we just went with what felt "right".

Nevertheless, I do really appreciate all of the information and guidance that yourself and other VJ members have provided here. It is an amazing resource.

[I-129F to K1]

Thank you for your reassurance, it's very helpful to me right now - I am still jetlagged and emotional!

There are issues with filing too quickly after first meeting but that actually applies to both the K1 and the spousal visa.

I think of the K1 as “we would have gotten married and filed for a spousal BUT we can’t get married for X,Y,Z reasons”. This is why you file the intent to marry letter. You are showing the US government you are serious about your relationship. 

The downside of the K1 is there is no legal relationship so a failed K1 leads to the couple needing to marry and “start over” with the spousal visa.

With “low fraud” countries- K1 vs Spousal is a matter of convenience- beneficiary cannot get married because it might impact benefits in home country. Or there is a child over 18 but under 21 and the couple wants the child to move to the US, too.

The only times I’ve heard of issues for spousal visa in relation to UK and France is when the couple lives together in that country… 

But, all things considered for UK, you could have met  and married and then  then submitted the same evidence you would submit for the K1 (minus letters of intent PLUS marriage certificate). 

Continue to visit until interview… 

Either way, I wouldn’t worry. your case is your case. 

21 minutes ago, smilingstone said:

Plus I am wondering if "low-risk" countries, such as UK, experience quicker processing times?

You would assume a couple married for 15 years would have their petition approved faster than a couple married 1 day. Or a couple from UK/ US would have their K1  petition approved faster than a couple from Nigeria/ US. 
But, that’s not true at all. All USCIS cares about is the submitted petition has all the necessary evidence: 

For K1 it is as simple as “have you met at least ONCE in the 2 years preceding your petition”.

The “faster processing” is in the second part of the journey- where you schedule your interview. The Philippines consulate hands out K1s like Candy (I’ve read some people write) and that consulate is actually slower because K1s are so popular. 
The slow down for high fraud countries comes at the back end when the consulate requests additional evidence of relationship because they don’t believe it is bonafide. Busier embassies also have longer wait times to interview. 

The advice we give is to visit as often as you can.

And my own personal advice is: if you suffer from anxiety I 💯 recommend spousal… after K1 you’ll have to adjust status and that’s another bag of nerves… and waiting… and wondering if you submitted enough… then wondering if you will be called for interview… then waiting for them to mail EAD/ AP/ GC. Not knowing when you can drive, work, see family if they fall ill in the UK. 
If you are serious about doing this the best way look at all factors. Not what you think USCIS wants. but the plan that is best for your relationship, your finances and your mental health. 

You’ve submitted the petition so start planning the next visit and figuring out next steps for your life in the US. Because above all I recommend at least one more visit. (Especially if you’re hoping for a November interview). 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Redro said:

And my own personal advice is: if you suffer from anxiety I 💯 recommend spousal… after K1 you’ll have to adjust status and that’s another bag of nerves… and waiting… and wondering if you submitted enough… then wondering if you will be called for interview… then waiting for them to mail EAD/ AP/ GC. Not knowing when you can drive, work, see family if they fall ill in the UK. 
If you are serious about doing this the best way look at all factors. Not what you think USCIS wants. but the plan that is best for your relationship, your finances and your mental health. 

You’ve submitted the petition so start planning the next visit and figuring out next steps for your life in the US. Because above all I recommend at least one more visit. (Especially if you’re hoping for a November interview). 

I feel that the waiting for an AOS won't be so painful if me and my fiancé can do it together once K1 is approved and we are married, rather than from across an ocean. The only thing that would concern me is when I would be able to see my family again, but they could also come visit me in the meantime.

I feel positive about our I-129F. We worked hard on it and I hope that we're as lucky as some of the success stories I've read on here.

[I-129F to K1]

23 minutes ago, smilingstone said:

I feel that the waiting for an AOS won't be so painful if me and my fiancé can do it together once K1 is approved and we are married, rather than from across an ocean. The only thing that would concern me is when I would be able to see my family again, but they could also come visit me in the meantime.

I feel positive about our I-129F. We worked hard on it and I hope that we're as lucky as some of the success stories I've read on here.

That’s the confidence that will carry you through! 
Good luck and I wish you guys speedy approval both for K1 and AOS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thank you for this, it's definitely something I'll be adding to my bookmarks! If I have understood the processing times correctly, we're likely looking at around an 8 month wait to receive our NOA2. I'd estimated around 6 months so if so, I'm not too far off.

If you look at the approval timeline estimate from USCIS (the best current source) it lists the K1 processing times until NOA2 of about 13.5 months: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ while some will of course get theres faster, some will take longer than that. It looks like currently its about 4-5 months after NOA2 for interview. 

They don't prioritize any processing times, no. Your wait time for an interview AFTER your NOA2 would possibly be less as there are fewer who may be in the queue for an interview - but USCIS does not prioritize one country's petitions over anothers. 

I would have also advocated for the spouse visa, especially after 6 years together - the long wait for the AOS is burdensome to many couples. 

7 hours ago, smilingstone said:

Not sure what you heard, but for low-fraud consulates like UK, that isn't true.

CR-1 would have been a much better choice all round, but water under the bridge.

We have never sent any photos during our entire process and it has never been an issue.

5 hours ago, smilingstone said:

Nope.

Timeline
On 4/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, smilingstone said:

It was anecdotal from people I know personally. I think one major barrier in this whole process is that the majority of info you can gather is largely anecdotal. USCIS will state numbers and data but it's largely inaccurate due to their own backlogs, other than that I can only read forum posts or advice from websites trying to sell me a service.

I understand that it's better to go from information on VJ as you've all jumped through these hoops, but again, your accounts are so varied and dependent on individual circumstances (length of relationship, nature of meeting, specific consulate, etc). In the end, we just went with what felt "right".

Nevertheless, I do really appreciate all of the information and guidance that yourself and other VJ members have provided here. It is an amazing resource.

k1 timelines have been improving drastically over the last yr so USCIS 13.5 months is not a true reflection. People are currently hearing back in 5-6months (some later) They're processing mostly Oct-Nov 2023 filers right now. If you get a Request for Evidence this will obv add time
It was also mentioned ave wait time for interview is 4months, seems odd, maybe some slow embassys are skewing VJ data but for UK it's usually 2-3months (incl NVC wait). Timelines an always change and obv you could end up slower at each stage than ave but essentially, you're likely looking at ~8-10months to visa on hand, maybe less if everything is smooth.

I applied in 2022 and had my visa within 14months (but delayed interview by over a month due to travel limitations) and things have sped up since then.

I moved here in Feb, married same month, applied for AOS mid march and have EAD approved already. Travel permit and greencard are def wildcard timelines which is where spousal can be advantageous but I'm happy with my choice.

In regards to your initial concern, husband and i did the same, he filled in his sections and I filled in mine (he worked, I was at home so had more time). We had no issues with it. Evidence for us was 5 pictures, flight bookings and my i-94. 
Def start getting in habit of taking some pictures as will be useful for AOS. We often say selfie for USCIS as we're not selfie people either 😂

Edited by AndiB

I-129f filed: 2022-10-21  ||  NOA1: 2022-10-24  ||  NOA2: 2023-09-21
NVC Received: 2023-10-13  ||  NVC in transit: 2023-10-24  ||  NVC Ready: 2023-10-26 

Medical: 2023-11-24  ||  Interview: 2023-12-14  ||  CEAC Issued: 2023-12-18  ||  VOH: 2023-12-20
Entry to US: 2024-02-14 || Married: 2024-02-29

---

AOS filed: 2024-03-18 ||  NOA1: 2024-03-20 || Biometrics: 2024-04-01
EAD NOA2: 2024-04-02  ||  EAD Received: 2024-04-24
GC Approval: ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.