978 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 11/8/2023 at 2:37 PM, CanadianTank said:

Hoping I can get some input here. Mainly due to the fact my lawyer hasn't been very helpful.

I submitted a I-485 in June 2020 with marriage. The marriage went south quickly and then filed a I-360, which has been approved.  

During this time I left the country because my lawyer led me to believe I had an approved I-131.  When I came back, I was told by CBP that my I-131 hadn't been approved, but I was let back in.  My previous I-485 hasn't been denied yet. Though it should be since I left the country.  

However, my lawyer is pressing me to file a new I-485 right away, even though the previous one wasn't denied.  Can I have two pending I-485 through marriage? Any suggestions as to what I can do, besides get a new lawyer 😕

On 11/8/2023 at 2:37 PM, CanadianTank said:

Hoping I can get some input here. Mainly due to the fact my lawyer hasn't been very helpful.

I submitted a I-485 in June 2020 with marriage. The marriage went south quickly and then filed a I-360, which has been approved.  

During this time I left the country because my lawyer led me to believe I had an approved I-131.  When I came back, I was told by CBP that my I-131 hadn't been approved, but I was let back in.  My previous I-485 hasn't been denied yet. Though it should be since I left the country.  

However, my lawyer is pressing me to file a new I-485 right away, even though the previous one wasn't denied.  Can I have two pending I-485 through marriage? Any suggestions as to what I can do, besides get a new lawyer 😕

If you leave without a valid AP your case is considered abandoned ,file a new AOS.

Edited by Sandra G.

Timeline
On 11/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, Aadi135 said:

Thanks, will write to uscis to remove my attorney 

You should end your attorney's representation in writing, and let USCIS know that all mails should be forwarded to you since you don't have an attorney anymore.

Timeline
On 11/6/2023 at 3:08 PM, 2020filer said:

Hi fam! Have you guys filled out an Ombudsman request before? Is it something that could hurt your petition in terms of reputation with USCIS? Background: my lawyer told me to fill out the Ombudsman request since my 485 was denied in error saying I didn't have an underlying approved petition as a basis of 485 however I had approved Vawa. 

Contacting the Ombudsman won't hurt your case, but did you file a motion to reconsider?

Timeline
On 11/6/2023 at 6:57 PM, Risen said:

Can someone help me with correct address to send my C09 renewal to? my vawa was.approved and my adjustment of status currently at my local office. I think I sent to wrong address, I want to resend a new one. TIA.

If you didn't get a letter from USCIS saying your file was transferred to Nebraska, then submit form I-765 to Vermont.

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello Family,  I'm September 2018 filler.

VAWA was approved January 10 2023 and reopen second day. Nothing happen since then.

What can I do please ? 

1 hour ago, i-need-help-pls said:

Hello Family,  I'm September 2018 filler.

VAWA was approved January 10 2023 and reopen second day. Nothing happen since then.

What can I do please ? 

it usually take 10 to 12 month from your approval to receive 485 response, so by Jan 24, you will hear something from them ( if you have 485 pending )

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sandra G. said:

You should end your attorney's representation in writing, and let USCIS know that all mails should be forwarded to you since you don't have an attorney anymore.

Thank you Sandra, will do, god bless you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!  :dance:  It's Sunday -- time for our Official Weekly VAWA-Thread Joke:

=============================================

BONEHEAD JOKES

"My new watch is going to stop working any second," said David.

"How can you tell?" his friend asked.

"Just look!" said David, holding out the watch.  "Its hours are numbered."

Carl said to Don, "When I was lost in the woods, I had to live on a can of peas for a whole week."

"That's amazing!" said Don.  "Weren't you afraid you'd fall off?"

"Guess what?" said Jack.  "I dropped my clock in the river and it's still running."

"Wow!" said his friend.  "That's a tough clock."

"No," said Jack, "I don't mean the clock is still running; I mean the river."

Carol walked into the Post Office and asked the clerk, "If I put a stamp on this letter, will it go to my cousin in New York?"

"Yes, it will," said the clerk.

"That's too bad," Carol said.  "I've addressed it to my friend in Boston."

Irving bumped into Simon on the street.

"Haven't I seen your face somewhere else?" asked Irving.

"I doubt it," said Simon.  "It's always been attached to the rest of me."

Dickie was walking through a museum of modern art.  He stopped by one display and said to the guard, "I suppose this ugly, disgusting piece of horrible junk is called 'art.'"

"No, sir," said the guard.  "You're looking at a mirror."

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

3 minutes ago, elephantsrock said:

My ex is threatening to change our divorce into an annulment based on immigration fraud. If this goes through, does this threaten my VAWA petition? 

Did your ex submit any evidence of bonafide marriage for any of your petitions?

If they now say it was fradulent marriage, this means they participated in fraud? Does the ex realize they've committed a crime if this is true?

Edited by OldUser

Did your ex submit any evidence of bonafide marriage for any of your petitions?

If they now say it was fradulent marriage, this means they participated in fraud? Does the ex realize they've committed a crime if this is true?

No, not really, our original application never got through. Our marriage only lasted a few months. 

11 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Ok, then it may be a hard case to approve. I would consult with a lawyer...

Hard case to prove my VAWA of for them to get an annulment based on potential immigration fraud?

Would USCIS even be able to discover the documents for annulment? They won’t be able to review the findings right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.