EternalForeigner

Interview waiver for tourist visa applicants

19 posts in this topic

I read that there are certain eligibility criteria for tourist visa interview waivers as per the State Dept guidance here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/important-update-on-waivers-of-the-interview-requirement-for-certaing-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants.html

Is there any part of the DS-160 that asks about the interview waiver’s criteria or is it something that will be determined automatically after the application is submitted?

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

There's no part of it that asks, it will be determined based on the answers you give and if you're deemed eligible you'll be told instantly via email. My interview for a non-immigrant visa was waived last year as I met all the criteria and was applying from the UK (having never lived anywhere else). 

40 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

There's no part of it that asks, it will be determined based on the answers you give and if you're deemed eligible you'll be told instantly via email. My interview for a non-immigrant visa was waived last year as I met all the criteria and was applying from the UK (having never lived anywhere else). 

I appreciate the response!

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assume you are talking about a D3, first you need to be otherwise approval, a D3 can waive a lot but not quite everything and it is of course discretionary and down the the Officer to recommend.

It is free.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I assume you are talking about a D3, first you need to be otherwise approval, a D3 can waive a lot but not quite everything and it is of course discretionary and down the the Officer to recommend.

It is free.

What’s a D3?

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, EternalForeigner said:

What’s a D3?

Non Immigrant Visa Waiver.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, EternalForeigner said:

I read that there are certain eligibility criteria for tourist visa interview waivers as per the State Dept guidance here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/important-update-on-waivers-of-the-interview-requirement-for-certaing-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants.html

Is there any part of the DS-160 that asks about the interview waiver’s criteria or is it something that will be determined automatically after the application is submitted?

Per the link you provided, the interview waiver is for new H2 visa applicants and certain renewing visa applicants except for B.

A tourist visa is B2.  Interview will not be waived.

5 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Per the link you provided, the interview waiver is for new H2 visa applicants and certain renewing visa applicants except for B.

A tourist visa is B2.  Interview will not be waived.

The categories mentioned in the link above are just expanding on those already allowed. Mine was for an O visa. I've no idea if the OP would qualify for a waiver of the interview or not, but B visa applicants can be eligible (example from one consulate - https://ec.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/faq-about-iwp/).

17 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

The categories mentioned in the link above are just expanding on those already allowed. Mine was for an O visa. I've no idea if the OP would qualify for a waiver of the interview or not, but B visa applicants can be eligible (example from one consulate - https://ec.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/faq-about-iwp/).

The person we’re applying for (a tourist visa renewal) has a history of both B2 and F visas and their last visa is expired less than 48 months and has no prior refusal or anything else listed up there. So I thought they’d be eligible in this case. 

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, prottosenpi said:

The consular officers will determine if you meet the criteria for an interview waiver based on your information.

Does that determination happen before an actual interview takes place? I’m asking because I’m not sure how an interview waiver manifests itself. Especially since the wait times also say “interview waiver applicants” so I reckon that means even they still need to make appointments?

Edited by EternalForeigner

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Normally interview waiver applications are sent in and processed as such unless a consular officer determines a need to have the applicant come for an in-person interview. Not all countries have the option to mail in for B1/2 visa renewal. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

16 minutes ago, EternalForeigner said:

Does that determination happen before an actual interview takes place? I’m asking because I’m not sure how an interview waiver manifests itself. Especially since the wait times also say “interview waiver applicants” so I reckon that means even they still need to make appointments?

Mine was an almost instant email after I submitted the DS-160. It'll be determined depending on what you say in that. The email said…….

"You have successfully completed the U.S. visa application registration process. Based on the information you provided, you are not required to attend a consular interview at this time. Due to the high demand of visa applications, the U.S. Department of State has placed your case in the virtual “waiting” queue. When the Consular Section is ready to review your application, we will send application submission instructions to the email address you provided when creating your account in this system. "

I then had an email the following day with instructions of what documents to mail and where to.

The wait time you mention will be for the visa processing, which is done after you submit the documents. Officially, that can take weeks or months, but the reality is that mine was done within days. But London is super quick for everything at the moment, both my NIV and my IV were processed so quickly last year. Other consulates may be much longer. 

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 3/30/2024 at 4:16 PM, EternalForeigner said:

The person we’re applying for (a tourist visa renewal) has a history of both B2 and F visas and their last visa is expired less than 48 months and has no prior refusal or anything else listed up there. So I thought they’d be eligible in this case. 

Do you mean the last visa is already expired?  The link states for renewal it has to be within 48 months of the visa expiring (that is, the last visa should not have expired).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
On 3/29/2024 at 4:08 PM, EternalForeigner said:

Who knows how they do their jobs...it varies greatly between countries.... I, personally, would assume an interview, especially if the country is Saudi Arabia. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.