GEOntificator

USCIS - SSN Issued day Before EAD Approval Notice

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

In the online account (under documents tab) it shows that the EAD approval letter was issued on 2/14. We do not yet have the EAD card, the status shows actively reviewed and informed delivery has no sign of any mail coming our way.

NOW... we received the SSN card today and it shows printed on 2/13 which is a day before EAD was even approved. I know USCIS is weird but what in the world is going on...

Edited by GEOntificator

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The Social Security Administration and USCIS are completely different government entities, their processes are different, and process times can vary.  I would think printing an EAD is more complex than printing a SS card.  Looks like you will be fully equipped for work soon. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The Social Security Administration and USCIS are completely different government entities, their processes are different, and process times can vary.  I would think printing an EAD is more complex than printing a SS card.  Looks like you will be fully equipped for work soon. 

Yes and makes sense. I am just weirded out by the fact that SSN was printed on 2/13 which is a day before EAD approval document is dated in the online account. SSA must have got that info even earlier than that I assume... it is just strange.

Edited by GEOntificator

Timeline
Just now, GEOntificator said:

SSA must have got that info even earlier than that I assume.

That could be.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
12 minutes ago, GEOntificator said:

Yes and makes sense. I am just weirded out by the fact that SSN was printed on 2/13 which is a day before EAD approval document is dated in the online account. SSA must have got that info even earlier than that I assume... it is just strange.

Is it an unrestricted SS card or one that still has the "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" wording?

Timeline
1 minute ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Is it an unrestricted SS card or one that still has the "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" wording?

VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION

Timeline

VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION

Then there's nothing strange - that still requires the EAD card to qualify for work. I had an SS card like that months before my EAD was approved.

Timeline
1 minute ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Then there's nothing strange - that still requires the EAD card to qualify for work. I had an SS card like that months before my EAD was approved.

Did you enter on K1?

Timeline

Did you enter on K1?

Yep. The restricted SS card is what you get before your I-485 is approved, the EAD is the required authorization mentioned on the card. Once your I-485 is approved and you get your green card you can take that to the SSA office to update your record and get a new card without the restriction wording. As far as passing I-9 verification for work, the EAD card is sufficient.

Timeline
Just now, NorthByNorthwest said:

Yep. The restricted SS card is what you get before your I-485 is approved, the EAD is the required authorization mentioned on the card. Once your I-485 is approved and you get your green card you can take that to the SSA office to update your record and get a new card without the restriction wording. As far as passing I-9 verification for work, the EAD card is sufficient.

Right, but I am pretty sure K1 gets SSN even without the EAD or GC. Our AOS is family based which is why it is strange that the SSN card was issued before EAD is even printed.

Timeline

Right, but I am pretty sure K1 gets SSN even without the EAD or GC. Our AOS is family based which is why it is strange that the SSN card was issued before EAD is even printed.

You probably ticked the box on the I-485 that the person does not have a SSN and you wanted them to issue a card? All that does is generate a request to the SSA as soon as the form is received, it has nothing to do with the AOS or EAD approval process. 

It's pretty common that people need an SSN even before they are allowed to work in order to open a bank account etc - that's all the restricted card is useful for until you have the EAD.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

You probably ticked the box on the I-485 that the person does not have a SSN and you wanted them to issue a card? All that does is generate a request to the SSA as soon as the form is received, it has nothing to do with the AOS or EAD approval process. 

It's pretty common that people need an SSN even before they are allowed to work in order to open a bank account etc - that's all the restricted card is useful for until you have the EAD.

Makes sense. I did not know that the box on I-485 triggered that. Good to know.

Timeline
1 hour ago, GEOntificator said:

Makes sense. I did not know that the box on I-485 triggered that. Good to know.

There is also a box on the I-765. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Other than going to the SSA office, that is the only way to get one (there is also a box on the I-765). 

I thought thatyou had to have an approved petition to receive a SSN. We ticked the box on both I-485 and I-765

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 minutes ago, GEOntificator said:

I thought thatyou had to have an approved petition to receive a SSN. We ticked the box on both I-485 and I-765

No.

SSA is a different entity.  USCIS just forwards your request to get an SSN to SSA when you tick the box.  Is just saves you from having to fill out the SS5 form.

It is not tied to your EAD or AOS approval.  That is why SSA has those words printed on the card - valid only with DHS work authorization.  They do not care if that (EAD) is approved or not.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.