HKC

ESTA Status Change After Approval? (Merged)

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

My wife had an approved ESTA since November of last year. Today, she got an email saying that "ESTA Status Change" has happened, telling her to check the ESTA website. When we go to the website, it says “the application is pending”.

My wife and I are going through the CR-1 visa process. We are almost done with the process, hopefully, as her interview is now scheduled on early April. Could this be why they are reviewing the ESTA again? If they deny the ESTA after this pending status, will this negatively affect our CR-1 application?

I heard that CBP won’t say why this is happening but I wanted to know if anyone knows a similar case, where ESTA status changed due to other immigration visas.

Country is South Korea, FYI.

Here is a quick background info about us:

Dec/2021: My wife’s first ESTA gets approved. (Had no issues with the first ESTA, traveled to US for four times total, each visit lasting no longer than two weeks)

Dec/2022: We applied for CR-1 and submitted I-130

Oct/2023: I-130 approved, sent to NVC

Early Nov/2023: My wife’s passport expired, renewed it

Late Nov/2023: Applied for a new ESTA with the new passport (Never visited US with this new ESTA)

Dec/2023: Interview scheduled for CR-1

Feb/2024: ESTA Status change email received

Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, HKC said:

If they deny the ESTA after this pending status, will this negatively affect our CR-1 application?

No

P.S. I hope she answered truthfully question about whether anybody ever filed an immigrant petition for her in ESTA application.

Edited by OldUser

4 minutes ago, OldUser said:

P.S. I hope she answered truthfully question about whether anybody ever filed an immigrant petition for her in ESTA application

Oh I never knew this is part of the application questions, I never bothered to ask her what's in the application itself. I will double check. If she didn't I'm assuming there will be quite a problem?

Thanks for the heads up btw.

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

P.S. I hope she answered truthfully question about whether anybody ever filed an immigrant petition for her in ESTA application.

I don't remember that being one of the questions asked when applying for an Esta?

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

45 minutes ago, Daphne . said:

I don't remember that being one of the questions asked when applying for an Esta?

Good point. I went back and rechecked. It doesn't seem to be one of eligibility questions on ESTA application. I think I mixed it up with DS-160 for non-immigrant visas

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

Good point. I went back and rechecked. It doesn't seem to be one of eligibility questions on ESTA application. I think I mixed it up with DS-160 for non-immigrant visas

Phew I was sweating about it because my wife said she doesn't remember

4 hours ago, Daphne . said:

Thank you for your reply

6 hours ago, OldUser said:

Sorry for giving you a worry

All good, no worries, thank you for answering my question though.

Still waiting for CBP to take an action for this case. No idea what caused this..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
21 hours ago, HKC said:

Hello,

Here is a quick background info about us:

Dec/2021: My wife’s first ESTA gets approved. (Had no issues with the first ESTA, traveled to US for four times total, each visit lasting no longer than two weeks)

ESTA lasts for 2 years. It should be expired, if you didnt renew it.

Update:

They denied the ESTA application after initially approving it.

The CR-1 interview is still scheduled to the on early April. Someone did say that this denial should not matter,  but we are worried that it might negatively affect the interview..

Does she have to declare this at the interview?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
14 minutes ago, HKC said:

Update:

They denied the ESTA application after initially approving it.

The CR-1 interview is still scheduled to the on early April. Someone did say that this denial should not matter,  but we are worried that it might negatively affect the interview..

Does she have to declare this at the interview?

Did K1 interview and you only have to answer their questions briefly. If they ask about ESTA, she should answer how it happened. Should be no problem👍

Edited by Eddie101

Hello,

My wife's CR-1 interview is scheduled (at the US embassy in Korea) in early April. She had an authorized ESTA since November of last year, but that was changed to "not authorized" today.

Here is a detailed background info about us:

Dec/2022: We applied for CR-1 and submitted I-130

Oct/2023: I-130 approved, sent to NVC

Early Nov/2023: My wife’s passport expired, renewed it

Late Nov/2023: Applied for a new ESTA with the new passport (Never visited US with this new ESTA)

Dec/2023: Interview scheduled for CR-1

Feb/2024: ESTA Status change email received / denied 3 days later.

Could our CR-1 application/interview caused this denial? Will this negatively affect our CR-1 application/interview? Do we have to declare it at the interview?

Thank you for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I see you have an existing thread, one of out friendly Mods will move it over there.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I see you have an existing thread, one of out friendly Mods will move it over there.

Thank you. I thought I should ask in the CR-1 forum

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.