Makanaki

Notice of Intent to Deny

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Makanaki said:

If he withdraws, any impact on his green card?

He got his Green card through the marriage, correct? 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

What was the problem with the police?

this can possibly be the cause

There wasn’t any police case per se. She called the police on him and on arrival the police said the house belongs to him as well and they cannot move him out of the house

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

He got his Green card through the marriage, correct? 

Yes

He MUST respond to the NOID . Although they will still deny the N-400 , it is very important he establishes a record that his marriage was real. 

He needs to gather every possible paper record of the 3 years they lived together , include the police event for their big fight . Even though there was no police report or arrest , police can provide a log of response to that address.

Get the wife to write a statement, she can be blunt and truthful about the relationship and why she has not filed for divorce…get statement notarized .

They will deny the N-400 and leave him in LPR limbo . 
If they want to pursue rescission proceedings, he will know  ( get notice ) and can lawyer up 

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/reference-materials/ic/chapter-7/3#:~:text=In a rescission proceeding%2C an,§ 1246.1 et seq.

b) Notice of Intent to Rescind

A rescission proceeding begins when the Department of Homeland Security personally serves a noncitizen with a Notice of Intent to Rescind

I agree with @Family: he will have to respond to the NOID. Given the circumstances, I'm surprised the officer didn't ask him about his marriage and taxes. 1) Though he stated in the application for naturalization that he was married, he most likely stated different addresses for him and his wife for the past 7 years. For some reason, the officer didn't ask him why they lived together only for the first three years and why they have been living separately afterwards for the past seven years. It may be a misrepresentation in their eyes (just a supposition). The good news here is that he is still on good terms with his estranged wife, who can vouch for their truthful marriage in a written notarized statement. He just needs to ask her to write it down, notarize it, and send it to him asap. I would also include any evidence of mutual co-living for the first three years.

2) As far as I know, they usually ask at the interview if you have ever owed any tax payments. This is one of their standard questions. If this question wasn't asked, that's one story: he can provide proof of his payment plan in his response to the NOID. If he was asked this question and he somehow misrepresented himself by withholding the truth or otherwise, that is a different story. If he has consistently owed taxes for a number of years in a row, it may also have added additional complications to his case. If I were in this position, I would do everything possible to pay off the whole debt today or tomorrow. But if he can't do that at all and/or if he owes taxes only for one year, then at least provide them not only with a freshly created payment plan, but also that he's been doing monthly payments for the debt period, whatever months/years it may be.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I wholeheartedly believe that his wife is not going to cooperate. Furthermore. If your recently set-up IRS payment plan after he filed N-400 that is another issue. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

1 hour ago, Pinkrlion said:

I wholeheartedly believe that his wife is not going to cooperate. Furthermore. If your recently set-up IRS payment plan after he filed N-400 that is another issue. 

If his wife still hasn't filed for divorce (7 years later), then there is a chance they are indeed on good terms, only as friends, not as a marital union. However, I agree, if he set up a payment plan with the IRS only after or just before he filed N-400, then he is indeed in big trouble. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

What did he answer to the question "have you ever been cited, arrested, or detained...?"

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

11 hours ago, Family said:

He MUST respond to the NOID . Although they will still deny the N-400 , it is very important he establishes a record that his marriage was real. 

He needs to gather every possible paper record of the 3 years they lived together , include the police event for their big fight . Even though there was no police report or arrest , police can provide a log of response to that address.

Get the wife to write a statement, she can be blunt and truthful about the relationship and why she has not filed for divorce…get statement notarized .

They will deny the N-400 and leave him in LPR limbo . 
If they want to pursue rescission proceedings, he will know  ( get notice ) and can lawyer up 

https://www.justice.gov/eoir/reference-materials/ic/chapter-7/3#:~:text=In a rescission proceeding%2C an,§ 1246.1 et seq.

b) Notice of Intent to Rescind

A rescission proceeding begins when the Department of Homeland Security personally serves a noncitizen with a Notice of Intent to Rescind

Thank you so much @Family I really appreciate your insight on this and the link. He contacted a lawyer and the money they are asking for is high. He will respond to the case himself with all the evidences he has with an expectation of denial. Hopefully they won’t rescind his green card , but if they do he will definitely lawyer up. Thank you 🙏 

11 hours ago, Family said:

Under no circumstance should he withdraw . He has to respond to the NOID . 

Yes he will respond and let you know how it goes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Makanaki said:

Thank you so much @Family I really appreciate your insight on this and the link. He contacted a lawyer and the money they are asking for is high. He will respond to the case himself with all the evidences he has with an expectation of denial. Hopefully they won’t rescind his green card , but if they do he will definitely lawyer up. Thank you 🙏 

That would be an issue for an Immigration Court which suggest he does not know what he is doing.

Applying in the first place implied that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 hours ago, FriendlyUser said:

I agree with @Family: he will have to respond to the NOID. Given the circumstances, I'm surprised the officer didn't ask him about his marriage and taxes. 1) Though he stated in the application for naturalization that he was married, he most likely stated different addresses for him and his wife for the past 7 years. For some reason, the officer didn't ask him why they lived together only for the first three years and why they have been living separately afterwards for the past seven years. It may be a misrepresentation in their eyes (just a supposition). The good news here is that he is still on good terms with his estranged wife, who can vouch for their truthful marriage in a written notarized statement. He just needs to ask her to write it down, notarize it, and send it to him asap. I would also include any evidence of mutual co-living for the first three years.

2) As far as I know, they usually ask at the interview if you have ever owed any tax payments. This is one of their standard questions. If this question wasn't asked, that's one story: he can provide proof of his payment plan in his response to the NOID. If he was asked this question and he somehow misrepresented himself by withholding the truth or otherwise, that is a different story. If he has consistently owed taxes for a number of years in a row, it may also have added additional complications to his case. If I were in this position, I would do everything possible to pay off the whole debt today or tomorrow. But if he can't do that at all and/or if he owes taxes only for one year, then at least provide them not only with a freshly created payment plan, but also that he's been doing monthly payments for the debt period, whatever months/years it may be.

@FriendlyUser thank you for chiming in on this. The officer only asked about his taxes which he told them the truth. And yes he did state different addresses for both of them. 

7 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

Hi @Pinkrlion yes you are right she won’t cooperate. In fact one of the reasons they are yet to divorce is she’s asking for alimony. And concerning IRS payment plan he only just set that up yesterday.

5 hours ago, FriendlyUser said:

If his wife still hasn't filed for divorce (7 years later), then there is a chance they are indeed on good terms, only as friends, not as a marital union. However, I agree, if he set up a payment plan with the IRS only after or just before he filed N-400, then he is indeed in big trouble. 

Yea they are in talking terms but on the level of divorce. She wants alimony (all in text) which he is not ready to give. And yep, the IRS payment plan was just enacted yesterday. He understands that the N400 may be denied, but greatest concern is on his GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.