AnnaNana

Getting Passport Back After CR1 interview as a non resident

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Botswana
Timeline

My husband is a USC, and I’m from Botswana. Our case was recently DQ by NVC and we’re waiting to receive the interview letter

My question is when I go for my interview in Johannesburg (as Botswana doesn’t handle immigrant visas), how long will it take for the consulate to return my passport? Because I won’t be able to leave South Africa until they return it.

Edited by AnnaNana

5 minutes ago, AnnaNana said:

My husband is a USC, and I’m from Botswana. Our case was recently DQ by NVC and we’re waiting to receive the interview letter

My question is when I go for my interview in Johannesburg (as Botswana doesn’t handle immigrant visas), how long will it take for the consulate to return my passport? Because I won’t be able to leave South Africa until they return it.

You can request the passport back and return to Botswana while you wait. But usually it takes around 1-2 weeks. 
I recommend booking your medical now (and planning for at least two trips to SA) as there are only 2 places to get it done in SA. And many people have issues after interview as the embassy is still waiting for the medical report. 

Timeline

Thank you so much for responding ☺️! Very kind of you. Are you perhaps in a similar situation? Because I’m very stressed.

1. If I request for my passport back at the end of the interview, how will they process the visa and stick it on my passport? I don’t want to stay in SA for 1-2 weeks while waiting, but I also don’t want to give these folks any reason to delay processing my visa.

2. And regarding the medicals, unfortunately I don’t have my interview letter/dates yet, still waiting for NVC, so I can’t schedule the medicals. But any other tips about medicals so I’m aware when the time comes?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1 you do not give it to them and ask for them to request it when they need it, or you will send it in when you get back home, will they send it to Botswana?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 minutes ago, AnnaNana said:

I’m worried that if I ask them to travel back with my passport and then send it back to them, it could delay my process even further. I’m just stuck really. Seems like I’ll have no other choice but to wait there.

Sounds like you have two choices and you've made one.  That's not "no choices". 

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

What exactly do you mean? I’m clearly in a conundrum and I’m trying to get the opinions of others who might have gone through it or have some thoughts to share. 
And yes, I have no choice because this is a multi step process and it takes time. If I take my passport back, who knows how long I’ll be stuck in admin processing. I can’t control their processing times, but I can control my stay time. 

This couple had AP in South Africa. It might be this post or another but I think at one time they explained how long it took to get passport back/get passport after they requested they return the passport for visa. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
12 hours ago, AnnaNana said:

What exactly do you mean? I’m clearly in a conundrum and I’m trying to get the opinions of others who might have gone through it or have some thoughts to share. 
And yes, I have no choice because this is a multi step process and it takes time. If I take my passport back, who knows how long I’ll be stuck in admin processing. I can’t control their processing times, but I can control my stay time. 

I mean you have two choices, not zero choices.  I understand you don't like either of them.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

A post has been removed for violating the following TOS:

Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Forums.

- Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, harass, insult, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users

There is absolutely no need to resort to personal attacks. Telling others not to post is against TOS as well. Any future similar actions will lead to administrative action including suspension.

VJ Moderation 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.