Tiff.

K1 questions

36 posts in this topic

Me and my fiancé want to apply this month for a k1 and I had a few questions about this and hope someone could answer them all since I haven’t been able to find much.

1. Does age matter ? I’m 21 and he’s 19 and he’s the petitioner, would this cause extra scrutiny? I’m not worried about the age difference but I am worried about how young we are since it’s apparently looked down upon?

2. Is it ok for his mother to be the sponsor with him? I saw that the sponsor has to be 21 so he can’t be the sponsor but does that mean he can be the sponsor with his mom?

3. We got tickets for a concert in June and I wanted to visit him. How do I proof I don’t want to live there yet? I currently don’t have a job and live with my parents so I don’t know if that would help. I have pets but is that enough reasoning? How big is the chance they’ll deny me? Does it depend on the airport? What other proof could I show them? What questions should I prepare for? 

4. Should I stay shorter than I usually do? On an average I visited him about weeks and was planning on staying for 4weeks or would this be suspicious? I have visited him 4 times now for an average of 41 days and left when I said I would, except once when I changed the flight home to a week later which was still within the 90 days. would this make them trust me more since they can see that? 

5. We have about 20 photos together, texts, call logs, FaceTime photos, engagement ring photos and receipt and 3 statements of 2 friends and his dad. Then lastly we have proof of meeting up 7 times (tickets, receipts boarding passes etc) is there anything we should add for proof?

6. We don’t have proof of us calling before 2023 since we used a server call which isn’t recorded, does that matter? I do have some screenshots from us in videocall but that’s it. 

7. Are the forms really randomly sorted to the centres or is there some way of knowing before you send it? 

8. If the form fee is sent by personal check, do we send the form at the same time? How do we add proof of payment if it has to be at the same time? We wanna make sure we have a copy of the receipt so how would we do that? 

I’m sorry if this I didn’t post this right please tell me if I did. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would start reading and studying the VJ guide.  The petitioner needs to also:

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I would start reading and studying the VJ guide.  The petitioner needs to also:

We have done that but I haven’t found the answers to my questions there. We are almost done filing it so these are just the last few questions since it’s a little unclear sometimes 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I’m kinda new here also, my 129F just arrived at the lockbox in TX.  First off, go to the 129f guide/ link and look at the instructions then read the guide slowly & carefully. It’s all there, I printed the instructions then went over them carefully.

With travel ahead of time, kinda depends. Most of us can leave the USA, harder for someone to come & visit. 

I would do a link, pop ups seem out of control on this site.  If an I-129f is what suites you, go to the site, print form pages with instructions & start the process. The 1st order is to get the 129f sent off properly,  to TX.  After that you can read about the next steps.

It’s best to do it as the instructions state, to avoid a request for further info. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

Edited by widude

2 hours ago, Tiff. said:

Me and my fiancé want to apply this month for a k1 and I had a few questions about this and hope someone could answer them all since I haven’t been able to find much.

Why K1 and not CR1?

Are you aware K1 is a much more expensive option and takes longer to receive GC?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Tiff. said:

1. Does age matter ? I’m 21 and he’s 19 and he’s the petitioner, would this cause extra scrutiny? I’m not worried about the age difference but I am worried about how young we are since it’s apparently looked down upon?

2. Is it ok for his mother to be the sponsor with him? I saw that the sponsor has to be 21 so he can’t be the sponsor but does that mean he can be the sponsor with his mom?

3. We got tickets for a concert in June and I wanted to visit him. How do I proof I don’t want to live there yet? I currently don’t have a job and live with my parents so I don’t know if that would help. I have pets but is that enough reasoning? How big is the chance they’ll deny me? Does it depend on the airport? What other proof could I show them? What questions should I prepare for? 

4. Should I stay shorter than I usually do? On an average I visited him about weeks and was planning on staying for 4weeks or would this be suspicious? I have visited him 4 times now for an average of 41 days and left when I said I would, except once when I changed the flight home to a week later which was still within the 90 days. would this make them trust me more since they can see that? 

5. We have about 20 photos together, texts, call logs, FaceTime photos, engagement ring photos and receipt and 3 statements of 2 friends and his dad. Then lastly we have proof of meeting up 7 times (tickets, receipts boarding passes etc) is there anything we should add for proof?

6. We don’t have proof of us calling before 2023 since we used a server call which isn’t recorded, does that matter? I do have some screenshots from us in videocall but that’s it. 

7. Are the forms really randomly sorted to the centres or is there some way of knowing before you send it? 

8. If the form fee is sent by personal check, do we send the form at the same time? How do we add proof of payment if it has to be at the same time? We wanna make sure we have a copy of the receipt so how would we do that? 

1.  Not necessarily. They are looking for evidence of a bonafide relationship 

2. yes 

3. Given your situation, it may be more difficult to demonstrate strong ties to your home county once you have submitted  the K1 application. But it all rests with the incoming cbp officer 

6. Cant  give what you don’t have. Evidence of time together is the strongest documentation

7. Not a random assignment .. done according to USCIS protocol … over which you have no control or knowledge until you receive your receipt for the application 

8. photocopy of everything. Personal check if fine. Keep a copy of everything. Payment must accompany the application and all required documentation.

This first stage of application is really the USC responsibility .. He should be doing his research and taking responsibility for the correctness and completeness of the application..  you can support him .. but he should get active on here too., you have a long journey ahead  

23 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Why K1 and not CR1?

Are you aware K1 is a much more expensive option and takes longer to receive GC?

Wouldn’t it take longer since the k1 has been filled out now? We only have to send it. Wouldn’t I also have to be a spouse for the CR1? That would mean I’d have to marry before applying which would take extra time I assume. Idk how right this is but it says the k1 could take from 6 to 15 months and that’s perfectly fine with me. I’ve seen that the CR 1 takes 9 to 11 months but that doesn’t exclude the time it would take to get married and then get that sorted out right? I haven’t really thought about doing the CR 1 so please elaborate if you could :)

Just now, Tiff. said:

Wouldn’t it take longer since the k1 has been filled out now? We only have to send it. Wouldn’t I also have to be a spouse for the CR1? That would mean I’d have to marry before applying which would take extra time I assume. Idk how right this is but it says the k1 could take from 6 to 15 months and that’s perfectly fine with me. I’ve seen that the CR 1 takes 9 to 11 months but that doesn’t exclude the time it would take to get married and then get that sorted out right? I haven’t really thought about doing the CR 1 so please elaborate if you could :)

It takes 15 months for K-1 and about 15-16 for CR-1.

But when you enter on CR-1, you get GC in few weeks, max few months if there's a delay.

With the GC you can work, leave the US at any time.

On the other hand, K-1 jorney is only half way when you enter the US. You may wait another 12-14 months to adjust your status. If you're lucky, you'll receive advance parole and EAD card allowing you to work and leave the US. This can take 3-9 months, sometimes longer. All this time you won't be able to travel outside of the US even for emergencies, or work.

Also, once you paid fees for I-130, DS-260 and ELIS fees - you're good for CR-1 route.

With K-1, not only fees for I-129F, DS-160. But you'd be paying expensive I-485 fees. Soon enough (please search when), the fees are going to go up for Adjustment of Status. And EAD + I-131 will be charged for too.

Please explore that option. Even if it takes 3-6 months to get married from now, you may still get ahead compared to K-1 to become a permanent resident.

@Crazy Cat may I please request your comparison between K-1 and CR-1?

@Tiff. I'm not saying your shouldn't do K-1, but lately it lost most of its appeal and advantages over spousal route.

Here's an example of timeline for getting adjustment of status approved.

To remind you: they had to wait a long time back in their country before entering to the US and waiting for another 13.5 months.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Tiff. said:

5. I had 5 photos and no other proof of relationship, was approved without issue. Is the consulate you willing be interviewing at high fraud? Otherwise id say you have more than enough.

6. Proof of video calls or even chat logs are weak forms of evidence. If you are interviewing with a high fraud consulate and you are intending to frontload, photos and visit longevity is the best evidence. 

7. All I-129f petitions for fiances goes to the California service center. If there was an awa criminal case it'll be transferred to vermont.

8. You send the fee with the form and all relative evidence.

1. Depends on the country. There was a case earlier where a fiancé case was denied and the young age of the petitioner and beneficiary MIGHT have been a factor. 

2. Depending on the country you are coming from, mom might not be able to be the joint sponsor for K1. But will be able to joint sponsor for the I864 (adjustment after you enter the US).

3. If you have ESTA you should still be able to visit while the K1 is pending. Too many visits might raise some flags but many VJ users visited during the process.

4. When was your last visit? How often are you planning to visit over the next 18 months? 

5. Sounds great. If you are from low fraud country (probably are if you are from ESTA country) all you really need is proof you met ONCE in the last 2 years before filing I129F. 

6. proof of in person meeting is more important than proof of speaking via phone/ online. 

2 hours ago, Redro said:

1. Depends on the country. There was a case earlier where a fiancé case was denied and the young age of the petitioner and beneficiary MIGHT have been a factor. 

2. Depending on the country you are coming from, mom might not be able to be the joint sponsor for K1. But will be able to joint sponsor for the I864 (adjustment after you enter the US).

3. If you have ESTA you should still be able to visit while the K1 is pending. Too many visits might raise some flags but many VJ users visited during the process.

4. When was your last visit? How often are you planning to visit over the next 18 months? 

5. Sounds great. If you are from low fraud country (probably are if you are from ESTA country) all you really need is proof you met ONCE in the last 2 years before filing I129F. 

6. proof of in person meeting is more important than proof of speaking via phone/ online. 

I’m from the Netherlands and I will probably be visiting 2/3 more times for with about half a year in between them depending on how long it’s taking, is that too much or should I be fine based on my history? The last time I visited was from August to mid September last year and I’m planning on going there again around the end of May for 4 weeks.

34 minutes ago, Tiff. said:

I’m from the Netherlands and I will probably be visiting 2/3 more times for with about half a year in between them depending on how long it’s taking, is that too much or should I be fine based on my history? The last time I visited was from August to mid September last year and I’m planning on going there again around the end of May for 4 weeks.

shouldn’t be an issue but there’s always a chance. Just make sure you have strong ties back home e.g. house rent, job etc and evidence. I visited every 2-3 months on ESTA (for c2 wks at a time, some work some vacation) and wasn’t an issue at all. 

K-1 is not a smart choice with the financial issues of the petitioner.   

Also wanted to clarify:  the 15 months is for the petition approval only.   The next part can take several more months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.