ML12

Are translations *absolutely* required for the visa interview (IR-5) in Almaty? Most docs are written in Russian or Kazakh, or sometimes both

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

I filed two IR-5 visa applications for my parents and both cases were just documentarily qualified (DQ'ed). I did not submit any translation to English of those documents on the CEAC site, and this is why:

According to Travel State Gov website --- Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country from which you are applying, must be accompanied by certified translations. All of the submitted documents are either in Russian, Kazakh or both, so I figured there was no need to translate.

Could someone please confirm if at their interview (any immigration visa interview) the translations were absolutely required? Was anyone able to go in without them?

Thanks all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

At this time interviews do not happen in Russia so the English translations are needed for any US embassy they go to

US  embassy employees need to know English but don't expect someone at the embassy where the interviews will be held to know russian

2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

At this time interviews do not happen in Russia so the English translations are needed for any US embassy they go to

US  embassy employees need to know English but don't expect someone at the embassy where the interviews will be held to know russian

Official languages of Kazakhstan are Kazakh and Russian... there's no translation needed.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
On 1/8/2024 at 9:13 AM, coolKid1984 said:

Hi guys,

My fiancee (from Russia) is having her K1 interview at the Warsaw embassy on 4/29.  We are trying to plan our trip to the U.S. and trying to approximate the time it should take to get the visa back.  On their site it says 3-5 business days after the interview, but when I emailed their support they said they cannot provide an estimate.  Has anyone gotten the K1 visa from Warsaw recently and how long after the interview did it take you?  Planning the trip back after 7 business days but worried that might not be enough.   Thanks in advance for any responses.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:22 PM, MarktheShark said:

I go to court next month for another hearing in my divorce. The judge said the following:

Defendant, who is from the Dominican Republic, alleged that, pursuant to the paperwork the parties had completed to sponsor Defendant’s entry into the United States, Plaintiff was financially obligated to support her while she resided in the United States.

What does that mean? She never aquired a green card and is out of status right now. How do I explain to the judge I'm not her sponsoer anymore? The 485 has been denied. She has no basis for being here anymore. I realize she an re-apply for wavier and try to self petition.

8 hours ago, ML12 said:

I filed two IR-5 visa applications for my parents and both cases were just documentarily qualified (DQ'ed). I did not submit any translation to English of those documents on the CEAC site, and this is why:

According to Travel State Gov website --- Please note that all documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country from which you are applying, must be accompanied by certified translations. All of the submitted documents are either in Russian, Kazakh or both, so I figured there was no need to translate.

Could someone please confirm if at their interview (any immigration visa interview) the translations were absolutely required? Was anyone able to go in without them?

Thanks all.

Sounds like you did the right thing reading the website 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My mother's interview is in a week. I received an email from the Consulate with instructions to ensure her up-to-date documents (police cert, financial etc.) were uploaded to CEAC with certified translations. I translated and ceritified everything myself. Yes, Russian is one of the official languages in Kazakhstan. However, my mother has to travel from Russia for a visa interview, so I don't want to take any chances. The process is absolutely ridiculous, but there's not much we can do about it.

Edited by October 2022

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 2/1/2024 at 6:59 PM, October 2022 said:

My mother's interview is in a week. I received an email from the Consulate with instructions to ensure her up-to-date documents (police cert, financial etc.) were uploaded to CEAC with certified translations. I translated and ceritified everything myself. Yes, Russian is one of the official languages in Kazakhstan. However, my mother has to travel from Russia for a visa interview, so I don't want to take any chances. The process is absolutely ridiculous, but there's not much we can do about it.

How did the interview go, can you share? 

Also, did they ask for those translations during the interview? :)

Edited by ML12

Timeline
5 hours ago, ML12 said:

How did the interview go, can you share? 

Also, did they ask for those translations during the interview?

The interview went well. The officer asked where I live and work, and that was it. They had photocopies and translations of all civil documents. I DHL'ed the whole package to the Consulate along with my original birth certificate. They asked my mother for the originals she was bringing to the interview.

I can't really tell if they actually needed the translations. I did have them, and they were notarized. (I felt it was excessive, but mom felt better with the overkill, so I did it.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.