Rosiedannielle

I just got my US citizenship and I want to petition my family

7 posts in this topic

I want to petition my parents, 19 year old brother, 30 year old sister and her daughter.

How long will the process take?

Is it faster if my parents petition my siblings instead?

About 2 years for parents and well above 20+ years for siblings. Your niece will most likely age out before visa number is available.

travel.state.gov and look up visa bulletin.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Yes, much faster for your parents to do it - still a very long wait but about a decade or so quicker if your parents do it (assuming they’re also USC’s, and your siblings are unmarried). 

Category F1 v category F4 - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2024/visa-bulletin-for-december-2023.html

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Rosiedannielle said:

I want to petition my parents, 19 year old brother, 30 year old sister and her daughter.

How long will the process take?

Is it faster if my parents petition my siblings instead?

Parents can apply F2a for the son(if he remains unmarried)  as by the time they get a visa he'll be over 21  

Second preference (F2B) - unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of lawful permanent residents;

I missed that you're petitioning your parents as well, I'd assumed they were already USC's. So yes, a couple of years for your parents, but decades for your siblings. 

Still quicker for your parents to petition your siblings though, but it may be best for you to petition them too as well as 'back up', just in case. 

And as above, by the time your siblings get their visas, your niece will have aged out, so she'll have an even longer wait as she'll have to wait for your sister to become a LPR and then sponsor her. 

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You petion everyone

You parents petition your siblings once they get here.

Presumably the sister is not married 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You should also research health insurance options and cost for your elderly parents. Unless they are still young and healthy to find a job that provides health insurance. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.