Mavus101

Separation during I-751 Process

30 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Timona said:

Technically, he's still married. So, nothing to do. 

We've had these cases here on VJ

Every change of address requires AR-11 whether GC holder is single, married,, separated, divorce or widowed. It's not tied to I-751.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Every change of address requires AR-11 whether GC holder is single, married,, separated, divorce or widowed. It's not tied to I-751.

I was solely talking about updating I-751 to divorce without the actual divorce decree. 

For the address, AR-11 is the way to go as you've mentioned 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

35 minutes ago, Timona said:

I was solely talking about updating I-751 to divorce without the actual divorce decree. 

For the address, AR-11 is the way to go as you've mentioned 

I think lawyer the OP is talking to soon can come up with the best strategy.

Obviously this path:

Notify USCIS now => Get RFE for divorce decree => OP's divorce not finalized in time => Denial is not good.

But there's a remedy: refile I-751.

But the other path is not any better:

Don't notify USCIS just yet => I-751 is approved before divorce is final => Misrepresentation / fraud accusation during N-400 is not any better.

IMHO it's better to get I-751 denied than wrongly approved on premise of marital union in bonafide marriage.

OP's I-751 has been pending for almost a year now. Surely, most I-751s take close to 2 years nowadays, but there's a risk it get approved sooner randomly.

Edited by OldUser

3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

IMHO it's better to get I-751 denied than wrongly approved on premise of marital union in bonafide

There is no “ marital union “ issue in I-751 

The bonafides are rock solid for OP . 
Nothing bad /illegal /iffy /misrep or fraudy will happen if a jointly filed I-751 is approved BEFORE a final divorce decree. No reason to sweat bullets at an N-400 filed under 5 year 

This even if an ex turns 50 Shades of toxic . 

43 minutes ago, Family said:

There is no “ marital union “ issue in I-751 

The bonafides are rock solid for OP . 
Nothing bad /illegal /iffy /misrep or fraudy will happen if a jointly filed I-751 is approved BEFORE a final divorce decree. No reason to sweat bullets at an N-400 filed under 5 year 

This even if an ex turns 50 Shades of toxic . 

Data point: https://np.reddit.com/r/USCIS/comments/boa88b/basically_forced_to_withdraw_application_at/

"He disappears and is gone for 10-ish minutes, apparently talking to a supervisor, comes back and tells me that my I-751 shouldn't have been processed because according to my divorce papers my wife and I separated 10 months prior to the I-751 being finalized, even though the final divorce date was 4 months AFTER that.

Essentially he gives me the option of having my application denied, detained and to go in front of an immigration judge and potential deportation, or "voluntarily" withdraw my application.
I was in complete shock, I've been living here perfectly happy with my 10 year green card not knowing there was some technicality that would prevent me from becoming a citizen, I ask if I can speak to someone else, he says no that he already spoke to his supervisor and that's where the options came from and that he couldn't offer me any kind of advice on the situation. He was extremely rude, blunt and not helpful or sympathetic at all. Pushed a blank piece of paper in front of me with a pen and made me write out that I withdraw my application."

Edited by OldUser

3 hours ago, OldUser said:

Data point: https://np.reddit.com/r/USCIS/comments/boa88b/basically_forced_to_withdraw_application_at/

"He disappears and is gone for 10-ish minutes, apparently talking to a supervisor, comes back and tells me that my I-751 shouldn't have been processed because according to my divorce papers my wife and I separated 10 months prior to the I-751 being finalized, even though the final divorce date was 4 months AFTER that.

Essentially he gives me the option of having my application denied, detained and to go in front of an immigration judge and potential deportation, or "voluntarily" withdraw my application.
I was in complete shock, I've been living here perfectly happy with my 10 year green card not knowing there was some technicality that would prevent me from becoming a citizen, I ask if I can speak to someone else, he says no that he already spoke to his supervisor and that's where the options came from and that he couldn't offer me any kind of advice on the situation. He was extremely rude, blunt and not helpful or sympathetic at all. Pushed a blank piece of paper in front of me with a pen and made me write out that I withdraw my application."

I appreciate your link and recall same fellow posting on VJ . 

He was intimidated into withdrawing his N-400 and Nothing that officer said was true .. 

All that poster had to do is politely ask for a decision on N-400 . There would be NO NTA , NO “ detained  “ . 
Sorry , I am not providing links ..but I am quite confident in my time on this forum there are no  of USCIS initiating recision proceedings in OPs scenario ( or Reddit fellow ). 

There is enough case law and statute on @mindthegap posts and abundant success stories    @Mobius‘ 

I appreciate your position @OldUser..but OP will be fine . 

20 hours ago, Family said:

I appreciate your link and recall same fellow posting on VJ . 

He was intimidated into withdrawing his N-400 and Nothing that officer said was true .. 

All that poster had to do is politely ask for a decision on N-400 . There would be NO NTA , NO “ detained  “ . 
Sorry , I am not providing links ..but I am quite confident in my time on this forum there are no  of USCIS initiating recision proceedings in OPs scenario ( or Reddit fellow ). 

There is enough case law and statute on @mindthegap posts and abundant success stories    @Mobius‘ 

I appreciate your position @OldUser..but OP will be fine . 

Thank you all for your input! It's greatly appreciated, honestly.

I have our 1099 joint filings, and our health insurance cards, she is a joint holder on my UK bank account. Oh, and I have around 900 photo's dating back from 2015/2023. I'm sure I can ask the father-in-law to sign an affidavit before all of the chaos ensues. Once I find out my rights on Thursday my plan is to start moving some of my stuff into a storage unit that I have, the wife generally complains about all of the car stuff and tools so, I figured that'd be a place to start storing stuff before we split and I find an apartment in Orlando. It genuinely does hurt after 8 years knowing that we both want different things, I.E I want kids, she does not. She wants to move back to Europe, I do not. But, also how the attitude has changed drastically. Also very scary not knowing what can happen to me as In these nearly 3 years I personally have accomplished a lot... It would be a shame to see that all go to waste. But, from knowing my wife's personality I believe that she would still continue to assist me with the GC as she isn't a bad person or malicious like that, unless I started dating someone else prior to the completion... we just want different things.  Once again, thank you. I'll definitely update this come Thursday.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 10/13/2023 at 2:44 PM, Mavus101 said:

I arrived in February 2021

got married in the UK in 2018.

Did you not get a 10y green card when you arrived?  Can you file I-90 to replace your card (see end of page 7, top of page 8)?

11 hours ago, MJ&YY said:

Did you not get a 10y green card when you arrived?  Can you file I-90 to replace your card (see end of page 7, top of page 8)?

Perhaps @Mavus101 made a typo, but since they haven’t completed their VJ timeline it’s hard to tell.

@Mavus101, is the Resident Since date on your green card within two years of your marriage date? According to what you wrote in your earlier post (married in 2018 and entered in 2021), you would have been eligible for a 10 year GC.

2 hours ago, JKLSemicolon said:

Perhaps @Mavus101 made a typo, but since they haven’t completed their VJ timeline it’s hard to tell.

@Mavus101, is the Resident Since date on your green card within two years of your marriage date? According to what you wrote in your earlier post (married in 2018 and entered in 2021), you would have been eligible for a 10 year GC.

Hi there,

I am so sorry yes, I got married in the UK in 2019, that is my mistake. Sorry about that.

Hello all,

As promised I am updating you all, I just got off the meeting my attorney and he has been doing this for 25 years and is not even remotely concerned about my situation, we will have to refile for my I-751 once the divorce has taken place and we will file with a waiver. We have enough evidence and even my drivers license is enough plus car insurance with her being on mine too. Basically I have nothing to worry about and We've passed the 3 year mark too which makes it even more legit in USCIS eyes, for reasons of wanting to have Children provides a legitimate case. Once we refile my I-751 I'll have another extension and any issues my attorney will be notified etc. Thank you to all who chipped in with everything. You're amazing.

1 hour ago, Mavus101 said:

You're amazing.

Unlike your attorney.....

1)  You can switch an existing joint I-751 filing to a waiver filing, without having to refile, and without having to pay a penny aside form the cost of postage. If he has been doing this for 25years he should absolutely know that. It's I-751 divorce 101 on the most basic of levels.

But then again, attorney 101 is often rinsing clients for fees...and of course, he's the one getting the fees for preparing a new filing, sending it, corresponding...

2) You are still legally married. You filed jointly together and have a pending case awaiting adjudication. To the letter of the law, it's a binary thing: Until you are legally divorced, you are still legally married.

If you file for divorce now, until it is completed you are still married, there is no need to notify USCIS. Once the divorce is completed, if your I-751 still hasn't been adjudicated at that point, then that would be the time to notify USCIS with a simple letter requesting a switch to a divorce waiver.  But doing that before you are divorced (or it is imminent to being final, like a few months away) would be absolutely detrimental to you, massively complicates things and will cause you no end of grief. 

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

19 hours ago, mindthegap said:

2) You are still legally married. You filed jointly together and have a pending case awaiting adjudication. To the letter of the law, it's a binary thing: Until you are legally divorced, you are still legally married.

If you file for divorce now, until it is completed you are still married, there is no need to notify USCIS. Once the divorce is completed, if your I-751 still hasn't been adjudicated at that point, then that would be the time to notify USCIS with a simple letter requesting a switch to a divorce waiver.  But doing that before you are divorced (or it is imminent to being final, like a few months away) would be absolutely detrimental to you, massively complicates things and will cause you no end of grief. 

This is where things seem to get complicated in some attorneys eyes. I’ve read some say what you suggest in that it’s best to wait til you hold the final decree in your hand before notifying USCIS and others who say to notify them immediately if you have filed for divorce so things dont get complicated at N400 time if they adjudicate your case while you are technically “separated”.

I tend to agree with your statement but just food for thought. It’s a shame there isn’t more direct guidance from USCIS on how they want this handled, seems like it’s mostly guess work on everyone else’s part sometimes!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.