Mingtao1

Spouse of a U.S. citizen trying to get a B-2 visa

17 posts in this topic

I’m getting really frustrated with this B2 visa situation. Today my wife just got denied for the 3rd time at HK consulate.

Her 1st try she applied as single, we weren’t married yet. Denied.

2nd time,. We got married in Hong Kong, and her interview was the day after we obtained marriage certificate. I had to fly back to US 3 hours after the ceremony so I didn’t have time to amend the DS-160, so she went to her 2nd interview as single again and denied.

this third time I filled out the DS-160 with updated marital status, and wrote a letter to explain to CO that last time I didn’t have time to amend the DS-160 because I had to catch the airplane. I also explained we currently have no plan to file for an immigrant visa because I’m moving back to HK next year, no point of moving her to here if I will leave next year anyway. We just need a B2 visa so she can occasionally come visit me before I go back next year. Got denied again with 214b. What did we do wrong? Why would they refuse her when she can actually get immingrant visa if she has any intention to immigrate? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Mingtao1 said:

Why would they refuse her when she can actually get immingrant visa if she has any intention to immigrate

It was refused precisely because she can easily immigrate to the U.S. if she enters the U.S. on a B visa.

If anything, her marrying you, made it harder for her to a B visa.

I have seen women in her position over come  214b one of two ways:

* become of permanent resident of a highly developed country whose citizens have a visa waiver or visa exemption with the U.S. I was skeptical this would work but I have seen it.

* the U.S. citizen spouse has a second citizenship with a highly developed country whose citizens have a visa waiver or visa exemption with the U.S. The U.S. citizen’s spouse then obtains a tourist visa to travel to that company. She travels on that visa, and leaves after a short visit (say 2 weeks). She then applies for a B visa, and includes the evidence: 

- she could have easily adjusted status to her spouse’s second country and did not

- she did not over stay

- she made a short visit

- she is clearly living in her own country of citizenship or legal residence

- she  proved she has no immigration intent

So get

1. yourself another citizenship at an OECD country, or

2. get her a GC and then move to her country in the employment of a 319(b) employer. Then she files for expedited naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We do not get that many Hong Kong Citizens applying for tourist visas, my impression is that they have a fairly high success rate.

The one thing that does strike me is that it is her application not yours.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

4th time a charm?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Mingtao1 said:

I might just file the immigrant visa and go the consular processing route. 

You realize this is going to take 18 months ish.

Have you reviewed the guides on here?

I know that. Currently petitioning my father already.  This immigrant visa processing time is way longer than what it used to be 15 years ago. That’s why I thought we just apply for a B2 visa for a temporary use. Then when I go back to HK we just apply the immigrant visa later and wait it out there. But now it seems hopeless with this B2 try, it already wasted 8 month in 3 interview.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mingtao1 said:

I know that. Currently petitioning my father already.  This immigrant visa processing time is way longer than what it used to be 15 years ago. That’s why I thought we just apply for a B2 visa for a temporary use. Then when I go back to HK we just apply the immigrant visa later and wait it out there. But now it seems hopeless with this B2 try, it already wasted 8 month in 3 interview.

I assume you have the I 864 covered and know you have to enter before or with your father 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mingtao1 said:

Can’t remember if I-864 was submitted when I filed. If it was to be filed together then I think I did. What you mean by I have to enter before or with my father??

You might not have got that far.

You are petitioning for your father to join you in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The purpose of an I-130 is essentially for family re-unification inside the U.S. The petitioner has to establish domicile (or show adequate evidence of "intent to establish domicile") before the interview. Usually this involves the petitioner moving back to the U.S. beforehand if the petitioner is currently overseas. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline

I think you have not reached the stage of filing the I 864 for him

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.