SparklePony

After oath, when can SSA and DMV be updated?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi all,

Quick question, if anyone knows. My oldest kiddo took her oath yesterday, and tomorrow is actually a really good time for her to update her status at our local SSA office and DMV. The packet she received at the ceremony recommends waiting 7-10 days to do so, but I don't recall waiting when I naturalized. Anyone has any thoughts to share on this? We're in Georgia, if that makes a difference. She'll do the passport after but there's no rush on that. Thanks!!

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Seems like it does take a while:

(yes, you'd think if the SSA can see the USCIS records, there is no need to also show your proof of citizenship ...)

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So at my oath ceremony in Minneapolis, SSA officials were actually at the ceremony, and they had us update our records during the ceremony online and then turn the paper forms in. So I actually updated mine on the day of my oath ceremony (along with a significant number of the other ~1000ish people there), and got my updated, restriction free SS card in the mail about two weeks later.

YMMV obviously, but I'd probably just go.

7 hours ago, AffableAndy said:

So at my oath ceremony in Minneapolis, SSA officials were actually at the ceremony,

That's nice

7 hours ago, AffableAndy said:

restriction free SS card in the mail about two weeks later.

This could have been done as a permanent resident (even conditional, just a note for others).

Congrats on becoming a US citizen!

Timeline
13 hours ago, OldUser said:

This could have been done as a permanent resident (even conditional, just a note for others).

Updating citizenship status is still useful, right? So that future employers don't ask you to produce a non existent green card. You just don't get a new card after that.

But yes I lifted conditions soon after getting my GC. Will be waiting two weeks before updating SSA.

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

20 minutes ago, M+K IL said:

Updating citizenship status is still useful, right? So that future employers don't ask you to produce a non existent green card.

Employers cannot demand to see a green card. They should be happy with unrestricted SS card and DL. But yes, citizenship status update is very important. It's just @AffableAndy talked about unrestricted SS card. That can be done way before becoming a citizen.

Timeline
2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Employers cannot demand to see a green card. They should be happy with unrestricted SS card and DL. But yes, citizenship status update is very important. It's just @AffableAndy talked about unrestricted SS card. That can be done way before becoming a citizen.

Good to know for next time, thanks. I think I showed mine when I got my GC, but I didn't check to see if I could just show the unrestricted SSN card instead

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline
17 hours ago, OldUser said:

I got an unrestricted SS card when I first arrived in this country, in 1991, on an F-1 (but I had to work as a teaching assistant at the university - this was part of my financial aid package. Which is the reason I got the card).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.