Fer Schvarztman

Filed ROC, Separated; Waiver? [split topic]

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi everyone!, I'm looking for some insight on my situation. I already filed for ROC Jan 2023, and got separated after that. We are close to reach a year separated now. In my situation separation and counseling is not an option, so I believe a waver is what I need. Since I'm waitting for the ROC interview and the gov sent me a letter stating my expired GC is extended for 2 years, that means I should ask for a waver at the interview or file one? I would appreciate some insight about how to go over this situation, as of course I will need legal advice, but at least any data that can put me in the right direction will be much appreciated, thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The above were split from another thread in this forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
12 hours ago, OldUser said:

Hi @Fer Schvarztman

I'm sorry you're going through separation and heading towards divorce.

You don't want to wait for the ROC interview. You may be approved for 10 year GC without interview.

If this happens, you could have big problems at later stage, during naturalization. You may be accused of fraud or misrepresentation.

You need to file for divorce and convert your petition to divorce waiver by notifying USCIS.

How long a typical divorce would take in your state? Did you consult a family lawyer?

I appreciate your concern, it's been hard and sad to see how a person changes when has so much control over you, and being so afraid to lose everything put me on a tough situation now.

I'm in NYC and to be eligible for divorce you need to be separated for a year. I'm struggling to find an immigration lawyer and a family lawyer because I don't want to get scamed or misrepresented and get a denial. If anyone can help me finding a family lawyer and/or immigration lawyer or firm that is legit and good I will very much appreciate 

14 hours ago, Fer Schvarztman said:

We are close to reach a year separated now. 

you mean it will be one year next year? (so in 2024?) but yes, @OldUser is correct.

Edited by zeroshucksgiven

When tomorrow starts without me..

please try to understand, That an Angel came and called

my name, and took me by the hand; The angel said my

place was ready, In Heaven far above, And that I'd have

to leave behind all those I dearly love. But when I walked 

through Heaven's Gates, I felt so much at home, for God

looked down, smiled at me, And told me "Welcome Home."

So when tomorrow starts without me, 

Don't think we're far apart, for every time you think of me,

I'm right there in your heart.

Timeline
1 hour ago, zeroshucksgiven said:

you mean it will be one year next year? (so in 2024?) but yes, @OldUser is correct.

Yes by Feb/may 2024 it will be a year 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, Fer Schvarztman said:

I appreciate your concern, it's been hard and sad to see how a person changes when has so much control over you, and being so afraid to lose everything put me on a tough situation now.

I'm in NYC and to be eligible for divorce you need to be separated for a year. I'm struggling to find an immigration lawyer and a family lawyer because I don't want to get scamed or misrepresented and get a denial. If anyone can help me finding a family lawyer and/or immigration lawyer or firm that is legit and good I will very much appreciate 

I’d say if your case isn’t complicated and you don’t have criminal records then you don’t need an immigration lawyer and you can DIY as long as you’re willing to put in the effort and time it takes to build up your case.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

I think you will need to write to them and inform them you are filing for divorce and need to convert to divorce waiver, they will send an RFE for the decree (which you won't have due to the one year rule in NY) and then your ROC would be denied. You're in a pretty awkward situation here. You can't go through without telling them in case they approve you without interview, but if you tell them now, the RFE deadline would expire probably before you can even file for divorce.  

You can re-file after a denial but you do put yourself at risk of being deportable in between the denial and their acceptance of the new I-751. 

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

NY says separated (not living together ) is not the same as legal separation

which is what u need 

if u or spouse has not filed for a legal separation ,  do so ASAP

the year will start when this is filed with the court

Here is my question or concern and I read this here daily: 

OP filed in ROC 02/2023, all know the process times of ROC, why on earth would be her case already approved this year?! Or next year? OP separation year is about to come up, file for divorce, get the decree, then switch your petition. 

The option you will be approved without an interview in one year - even this year - is rare! Am I wrong? 

Yes you will get a divorce but you haven’t even started divorce proceedings, since you can’t due to the 1 year separation rule here. So, why already now USCIS information about a divorce which hasn’t been even filed yet, despite a separation agreement? 

24 minutes ago, Fer Schvarztman said:

Thanks everyone for your input, I really need legal advice to know how to aproach this situation properly. 

maybe you want to go on Jim Hackings Live Show. There is phone number and you will get texts whenever he comes live.

Edited by zeroshucksgiven

When tomorrow starts without me..

please try to understand, That an Angel came and called

my name, and took me by the hand; The angel said my

place was ready, In Heaven far above, And that I'd have

to leave behind all those I dearly love. But when I walked 

through Heaven's Gates, I felt so much at home, for God

looked down, smiled at me, And told me "Welcome Home."

So when tomorrow starts without me, 

Don't think we're far apart, for every time you think of me,

I'm right there in your heart.

1 hour ago, zeroshucksgiven said:

OP filed in ROC 02/2023, all know the process times of ROC, why on earth would be her case already approved this year?! Or next year? OP separation year is about to come up, file for divorce, get the decree, then switch your petition. 

The option you will be approved without an interview in one year - even this year - is rare! Am I wrong? 

It happens to small percentage of cases, maybe 5-10%. Approvals with USCIS are very unpredictable.

Please people! Stop spreading misinformation that NY needs a pne year of legal separation to start divorce proceedings! This is not true!!!!!!! You can right away file divorce based on 6 months of irreconcilable differences!!! I cant stress this enough!! Please just google it! I have seen this misinformation about NY in this forum many times. 
yes there is a one year legal separation option in NY and it mostly have to do with those that don’t want to stop health insurance and other marital benefits but that is a different story.

OP go to the NY.gov site about divorce and you will see it for yourself.

you can file a no fault divorce right away..!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Fecalith said:

Please people! Stop spreading misinformation that NY needs a pne year of legal separation to start divorce proceedings! This is not true!!!!!!! You can right away file divorce based on 6 months of irreconcilable differences!!! I cant stress this enough!! Please just google it! I have seen this misinformation about NY in this forum many times. 
yes there is a one year legal separation option in NY and it mostly have to do with those that don’t want to stop health insurance and other marital benefits but that is a different story.

What about living apart and separations?

Living apart, without a formal written agreement of separation or a court judgment of separation, is not recognized as a ground for a New York State divorce, no matter how long you continue to live separately.

Regarding separations, there are only two valid ways to dissolve a marriage. Each requires separation of one or more years. The law requires that you and your spouse live apart either under a written contract of separation or under a court judgment of separation and the spouse seeking the divorce must have substantially complied with the terms of the agreement or judgment.

she is filing saying separated

the above is from the NY bar

https://nysba.org/legalease-divorce-and-separation/#:~:text=Each requires separation of one,of the agreement or judgment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
16 hours ago, Ketsuban said:

You can re-file after a denial but you do put yourself at risk of being deportable in between the denial and their acceptance of the new I-751. 

Yet she’d be low priority for deportation as long as she stays “out of the radar”. 

15 hours ago, zeroshucksgiven said:

why already now USCIS information about a divorce which hasn’t been even filed yet, despite a separation agreement? 

Because there is a chance that they’ll get approved without an interview, and you don’t want them to approve a joint petition when you’re no longer together. 

2 hours ago, Fecalith said:

Good call 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.