MariAndJoseph

Can't answer these questions after research - help is appriciated [merged threads]

24 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, before I ask these questions, I researched and followed the instructions here: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/ir1-spouse-visa/
Please believe that I read the instructions but I just have some simple questions that I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks so much if anyone can have patience and knowledge to help me with this.

I'm a naturalized US citizen who had divorce 7 years ago. Now I'm married to my foreign citizen wife. I want to submit I-130 online for her.

1 - Do I need to send a previous marriage certificate which ended with divorce? 
2- Form I-130 is asking if I(US CITIZEN) have an Alien registration number(A-NUMBER), I used to have one when I had my green card, but now I am a US citizen. Do I need to find my A-NUMBER and enter?
3 - For Affidavit from friends: Can we attach a PDF with name, phone and email without their signature?
4 - I don't see that tax returns of US citizens are required at this time with I-130, is this correct? Is this only required after I-130 is approved, or do i need to upload them to online form I-130?
5 - I also don't see that police report for immigrants is not required at this time with I-130, is this correct?  Is this only required after I-130 is approved, or do i need to upload them to online form I-130?
6- I don't see that the birth certificate of FOREIGN SPOUSE is not required with I-130, is this correct?  Is this only required after I-130 is approved, or do i need to upload them to online form I-130?
7- I know that I can fill G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance with form I-130, do I just upload this from as PDF to online submission?

Thanks so much if anyone can have patience and knowledge to help me with this.
Edited by MariAndJoseph

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
32 minutes ago, MariAndJoseph said:
Hi everyone, before I ask these questions, I researched and followed the instructions here: https://www.visajourney.com/guides/ir1-spouse-visa/
Please believe that I read the instructions but I just have some simple questions that I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks so much if anyone can have patience and knowledge to help me with this.

I'm a naturalized US citizen who had divorce 7 years ago. Now I'm married to my foreign citizen wife. I want to submit I-130 online for her.

2- Form I-130 is asking if I(US CITIZEN) have an Alien registration number(A-NUMBER), I used to have one when I had my green card, but now I am a US citizen. Do I need to find my A-NUMBER and enter?
3 - For Affidavit from friends: Can we attach a PDF with name, phone and email without their signature?
4 - I don't see that tax returns of US citizens are required at this time with I-130, is this correct? Is this only required after I-130 is approved, or do i need to upload them to online form I-130?
5 - I also don't see that police report for immigrants is not required at this time with I-130, is this correct?  Is this only required after I-130 is approved, or do i need to upload them to online form I-130?
6- I don't see that the birth certificate of FOREIGN SPOUSE is not required with I-130, is this correct?  Is this only required after I-130 is approved, or do i need to upload them to online form I-130?
7- I know that I can fill G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance with form I-130, do I just upload this from as PDF to online submission?

1. If that would be your evidence of a name change, yes.  Otherwise, just the divorce decree

2. Yes, that's your A number.  It's on your Naturalization Certificate

3. Of course not, but better to just skip any affidavits from friends anyway.

4. No tax or financial information at this time

5. Not at this time

6. Not at this time

7. No need for this when filing online

Don't confuse VJ guides with actual form instructions.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, MariAndJoseph said:

You should be using the official  I. 130 information pdf for the best information on filling out the form and ensuring you have all required and recommended documentation 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-130instr.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
24 minutes ago, BlakePeru said:

Well said, but I have seen some people prefer to paper file instead of online filing

This is IF you're doing concurrent filing, that is, I-130 which can be filed online or paper + all other forms that can only be filed on paper. 

However, if it's just I-130 and going Consulate route, it's best to just file online as it's the only form needed. 

Now, they're are some people who file AOS but decide to file I-130o line and then take that receipt and add it to their paper file for concurrent filing. I've never understood the logic readon behind this as it's pretty useless. I'd rather file all on paper and have all receipts together than be twitchy and get receipts at a time.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Timona said:

This is IF you're doing concurrent filing, that is, I-130 which can be filed online or paper + all other forms that can only be filed on paper. 

However, if it's just I-130 and going Consulate route, it's best to just file online as it's the only form needed. 

Now, they're are some people who file AOS but decide to file I-130o line and then take that receipt and add it to their paper file for concurrent filing. I've never understood the logic readon behind this as it's pretty useless. I'd rather file all on paper and have all receipts together than be twitchy and get receipts at a time.

But it is NOT the only form needed for a spouse filing.  Whether it's best or not, is a matter of opinion.  The online form is still glitchy.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

15 hours ago, pushbrk said:

1. If that would be your evidence of a name change, yes.  Otherwise, just the divorce decree

5. Not at this time

6. Not at this time

thank you for answering! just had something else in mind:

Do I fill Form I-130A on computer and upload/attach it to online submission as PDF?

My marriage certificate(which ended in divorce) didnt change my last name but it did my ex wifes. The previous marriage certificate is not needed for the I-130 correct? only the divorce decree is needed. 

14 hours ago, pushbrk said:

But it is NOT the only form needed for a spouse filing.  Whether it's best or not, is a matter of opinion.  The online form is still glitchy.

can you please share potential problems with online form? I found it very easy to follow but i can also do paper if recommended. I am curious what part is glitchy and is there any downside of online submission?

Our case: Filing I-130 for wife who lives outside of the US.

Timeline
4 hours ago, MariAndJoseph said:

can you please share potential problems with online form? I found it very easy to follow but i can also do paper if recommended. I am curious what part is glitchy and is there any downside of online submission?

Our case: Filing I-130 for wife who lives outside of the US.

Yes, you upload the I-130a.  If you are able to fully complete the I-130 without the glitches impacting you, then great.  They have to do with data entry issues.  I don't have to remember each one, to know they are there.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

On 8/3/2023 at 9:57 PM, pushbrk said:

5. Not at this time

6. Not at this time

Thank you so much, I just went through the form and instructions again but if you can please help with these details, I would appreciate. I can't be sure about these.

1 - What is your current spouse's legal name?

Question: Do I put her old last name or current(my) last name? She changed her last name after marriage, but her passport and ID still have her old(original) last name. She plan to update these later but I don't know if this has to match her current passport.

2 - What is the beneficiary's A-Number?

Question: My wife had F1 visa which she used to go to short student program 2 years ago. She returned back to her country. Does she have a-number since she had an F1 visa and returned back to her country. She never worked in the usa.  Does F1 visa have A-Number? She doesn't know anything about this. She only attended a student program for 3 months. She came to the USA with an F1 visa and I20 document. 

3 - When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?

Question: My wife never married before. What should we enter here? It is a date field but my wife has never married before so this question is not valid for her. 

4 - Where do we upload supporting documents like relationship proof? Photos etc? I can't find a section to upload these. Last section is review/submit but before that there is only upload section for citizenship and divorce proof.

Again, much appreciated. these are my final problems with this form :(

Timeline
8 minutes ago, MariAndJoseph said:

Thank you so much, I just went through the form and instructions again but if you can please help with these details, I would appreciate. I can't be sure about these.

1 - What is your current spouse's legal name?

Question: Do I put her old last name or current(my) last name? She changed her last name after marriage, but her passport and ID still have her old(original) last name. She plan to update these later but I don't know if this has to match her current passport.

2 - What is the beneficiary's A-Number?

Question: My wife had F1 visa which she used to go to short student program 2 years ago. She returned back to her country. Does she have a-number since she had an F1 visa and returned back to her country. She never worked in the usa.  Does F1 visa have A-Number? She doesn't know anything about this. She only attended a student program for 3 months. She came to the USA with an F1 visa and I20 document. 

3 - When did your beneficiary's last marriage end?

Question: My wife never married before. What should we enter here? It is a date field but my wife has never married before so this question is not valid for her. 

4 - Where do we upload supporting documents like relationship proof? Photos etc? I can't find a section to upload these. Last section is review/submit but before that there is only upload section for citizenship and divorce proof.

Again, much appreciated. these are my final problems with this form :(

1 is a present tense question. Use the married name.  She'll have plenty of time to get a new passport.

2  She has an A-number.  If known, enter it.  If not, enter all zeros

3  Not applicable

4 Look harder

Google Who is Pushbrk?

17 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

1 is a present tense question. Use the married name.  She'll have plenty of time to get a new passport.

2  She has an A-number.  If known, enter it.  If not, enter all zeros

3  Not applicable

4 Look harder

thank you again, all clear except #2. I read that if she has F1 visa without work authorization, there is no A-NUMBER. Is this correct? Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-A-Number-or-alien-registration-number-for-student-on-F1-visa.

Is it a big deal if we enter all zeros but she has A-NUMBER somehow? She never worked or applied for work authorization while she was in the USA. Her visa doesn't have this number. She doesn't know anything about it so I'm trying to figure this out for her. 

thank you if you can provide thoughts on this again.

Edited by MariAndJoseph

Timeline
35 minutes ago, MariAndJoseph said:

thank you again, all clear except #2. I read that if she has F1 visa without work authorization, there is no A-NUMBER. Is this correct? Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-A-Number-or-alien-registration-number-for-student-on-F1-visa.

Is it a big deal if we enter all zeros but she has A-NUMBER somehow? She never worked or applied for work authorization while she was in the USA. Her visa doesn't have this number. She doesn't know anything about it so I'm trying to figure this out for her. 

thank you if you can provide thoughts on this again.

I already explained that if her A number is unknown to enter zeros.  Same is true if it is unknown WHETHER she has an A number.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I completed my online I-130 form following this guide:

1 - Do I need a cover letter and table of content for filing I-130 online? 

2 - Is it ok to upload documents in black and white? Or does it have to be in color?

3 - I am the US citizen(Naturalized, foreign born) who is submitting I-130 for my wife. Do I need to upload my birth certificate? I already uploaded my US passport for proof of citizenship.

4 - We don't need to upload birth certificates of foreign spouses, or police records for either of us at this stage, correct?

thank you anyone who can reply.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello, I completed my online I-130 form following this guide:

1 - Do I need a cover letter and table of content for filing I-130 online?

This is up to you.

2 - Is it ok to upload documents in black and white? Or does it have to be in color?

Black and White is fine, although photos might be better in color.

3 - I am the US citizen(Naturalized, foreign born) who is submitting I-130 for my wife. Do I need to upload my birth certificate? I already uploaded my US passport for proof of citizenship.

Should be fine with just the passport.

4 - We don't need to upload birth certificates of foreign spouses, or police records for either of us at this stage, correct?

Not yet.

thank you anyone who can reply.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.