Karen2021

Spouse from Iraq; Interview in Ankara Embassy (merged)

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Karen2021 said:

I am the petitioner/main sponsor/spouse. I am currently in the USA and my spouse is abroad waiting for the IR1 interview to be scheduled. Will I have to attend the interview or can my spouse go alone, or with a relative?

The interview at the Consulate is for the beneficiary alone.  Spouses/sponsor/petitioner are not required and rarely allowed in 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

When I did mine in London spouses were allowed and there was only one there.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

When I did mine in London spouses were allowed and there was only one there.

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

The interview at the Consulate is for the beneficiary alone.  Spouses/sponsor/petitioner are not required and rarely allowed in 

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Also, does the Spouse need to be flying into the US airport with the Beneficiary upon their first arrival to the USA?

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Karen2021 said:

But spouses are not required to attend the Consulate/Embassy right? Also, does the Spouse need to be flying into the US airport with the Beneficiary upon their first arrival to the USA?

They have to enter with or already be in the US. Most will be in the US.

Certainly the Spouse I saw looked very bored and just sat there, I know some like to be outside for moral support whatever.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They have to enter with or already be in the US. Most will be in the US.

Certainly the Spouse I saw looked very bored and just sat there, I know some like to be outside for moral support whatever.

Okay so I am in the US right now... that means that my spouse can do the interview on their own overseas, and they can enter into the US on their own since I am already here? 

Timeline

Yes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In theory, the beneficiary can interview alone.  Sometimes, the country of the beneficiary can matter.  You have no VJ timeline.  At which U.S. consulate will your beneficiary interview?

For example:  Awhile back, petitioners were expected to be at Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic).  They were apprised of that, as I recall.  Conversely, petitioners were expected at the Guayaquil consulate (Ecuador) but were NOT told that in advance.  

There are benefits when the petitioner is on the consular premises or within range.  Some think that it adds credibility to the bona fide nature of the relationship.  Such presence is valuable in a practical sense if the consular officer has questions; the petitioner can be called in or can easily appear the next day to answer questions or provide documents, thus avoiding the issuance of a 221(g).

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

7 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

In theory, the beneficiary can interview alone.  Sometimes, the country of the beneficiary can matter.  You have no VJ timeline.  At which U.S. consulate will your beneficiary interview?

For example:  Awhile back, petitioners were expected to be at Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic).  They were apprised of that, as I recall.  Conversely, petitioners were expected at the Guayaquil consulate (Ecuador) but were NOT told that in advance.  

There are benefits when the petitioner is on the consular premises or within range.  Some think that it adds credibility to the bona fide nature of the relationship.  Such presence is valuable in a practical sense if the consular officer has questions; the petitioner can be called in or can easily appear the next day to answer questions or provide documents, thus avoiding the issuance of a 221(g).

The beneficiary will be interviewed at U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey. I may need to email them about this. 

Timeline

Is the beneficiary Turkish, or (e.g.) Iranian?

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Ah.

See the link "Office Reviews & Info" atop any VJ page, and read any reviews pertaining to Iraqi beneficiaries.

Look through the portal (also atop the page) for Iraq, for reviews.

If you find any similar recent cases, send them a private message for insights, then let us know your findings (in general, without directly quoting a private message).

Edited by TBoneTX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, Karen2021 said:

Will I have to attend the interview or can my spouse go alone

It's not required that you be there.  I chose to go to the interview with my husband in Rio.  We had some red flags (big age, language, culture, income, and education gaps), and got engaged on my second trip to Brazil.  My husband also asked me to come so of course I went, and was allowed inside the consulate and also participated in the interview.  We were both asked questions so it may have been helpful for me to be there, his visa was approved after a very short interview.  I recommend that you be there if you can.  I hope the interview goes well.

Edited by carmel34

On 7/22/2023 at 9:17 PM, Karen2021 said:

I am the petitioner/main sponsor/spouse. I am currently in the USA and my spouse is abroad waiting for the IR1 interview to be scheduled. Will I have to attend the interview or can my spouse go alone, or with a relative?

Depends on the country. I know Haiti and Jamaica both need to be present. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.