Lyz

Children over 18 got oath ceremony notice without interview

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I have my oath ceremony scheduled. My children who were under my petition have never gotten their green cards (although our I-751 was waived and the officer interviewing me for my naturalization said they would mail the kids GC. This was back in June. The kids are over 18 and I thought they are not eligible for naturalization for another two years. After waiting a month with no cards, I called the USCIS and they forwarded the kids case back to the field office (Kansas City). This morning, I got the email below for all the three kids saying they won't get green cards because oath ceremony had been scheduled. I had gotten the same message earlier for my own I-751 when my oath ceremony was scheduled but I am very confused by this new status for the kids.

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 11.17.45 AM.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How old were your kids when you naturalized?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Looks like the OP hasn't naturalized yet!

Aaa I missed that. 

Well, in that case, those kids petition are mute. They only, automatically, became citizens if mom naturalized before kids turn 18. 

So @Lyz they'll have to do their own N400 application when they are eligible. We can help you figure this out if you tell us how long they've been in the US. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

The kids and I have been in the US for slightly over four years but our first GC was issued in March 2020. The kids are 23,22 and son just turned 18.

8 minutes ago, Timona said:

How old were your kids when you naturalized?

I haven't naturalized yet. Oath is scheduled

Edited by Lyz

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Timona said:

Aaa I missed that. 

Well, in that case, those kids petition are mute. They only, automatically, became citizens if mom naturalized before kids turn 18. 

So @Lyz they'll have to do their own N400 application when they are eligible. We can help you figure this out if you tell us how long they've been in the US. 

The kids and I have been in the US for slightly over four years but our first GC was issued in March 2020. The kids are 23,22 and son just turned 18.

This is very confusing situation to be in @Lyz

I think USCIS is made a mistake arranging their oath ceremony.

I'd consult with a lawyer, but it looks like your kids may be granted citizenship in error. That's a bad thing to happen. You probably need to clarify this with USCIS and let them know your kids aren't eligible for naturalization yet and require their green cards!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

This is very confusing situation to be in @Lyz

I think USCIS is made a mistake arranging their oath ceremony.

I'd consult with a lawyer, but it looks like your kids may be granted citizenship in error. That's a bad thing to happen. You probably need to clarify this with USCIS and let them know your kids aren't eligible for naturalization yet and require their green cards!

Yes. That's exactly what I thought. I wouldn't want them to take an oath unless I am sure of it. I have consulted the USCIS and I am waiting for their reply. Hopefully this will be sorted out soon

Timeline

That can't be USC with you. Don't be quiet about it (Kenyan style) because if they naturalize in error, they'll come to regret it down the road. They're already at the 4 year mark. So, 5 years, as explained below, is in sight. 

They'll leave to file their own N400 after 5 years of LPR. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Timona said:

That can't be USC with you. Don't be quiet about it (Kenyan style) because if they naturalize in error, they'll come to regret it down the road. They're already at the 4 year mark. So, 5 years, as explained below, is in sight. 

They'll leave to file their own N400 after 5 years of LPR. 

That's what I figured. Can't keep quiet. I have learned this is not Kenya and I should speak up. The tier 1 officer I talked to was saying that my son has automatically qualified coz I applied when he was under 18 but I actually don't think that is right. I think he should have been under 18 by the time I naturalize. Thank you fellow Kenyan (just seeing your status now).

1 minute ago, Lyz said:

I think he should have been under 18 by the time I naturalize. Thank you fellow Kenyan (just seeing your status now).

That's what my understanding is also.

Either this is error due to incompetence of somebody at USCIS or dirty tactic to complicate your son's immigration path.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
10 minutes ago, OldUser said:

That's what my understanding is also.

Either this is error due to incompetence of somebody at USCIS or dirty tactic to complicate your son's immigration path.

My money is on both.

The kids can attend the oath ceremony to try to straighten it out, as long as they understand they must not give up their GCs or take oath of citizenship. If there is any doubt about resolve, stay home.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My money is on both.

The kids can attend the oath ceremony to try to straighten it out, as long as they understand they must not give up their GCs or take oath of citizenship. If there is any doubt about resolve, stay home.

I have contacted the USCIS and waiting to hear what they will say

5 hours ago, mochon said:

Are you married to an USC and is he their biological father? 

If this was the case the children either: - Would be US citizens already and won't need the oath

- Or still need to file N-400 (which they didn't) if their father naturalized after their birth and or didn't spend enough time in the US etc.

I think neither makes sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.