Toffee19

Looking for the best way to move to us

6 posts in this topic

I am British and have been married to an American woman since 2019. We’ve lived in the U.K. since mid 2019 but are now wanting to move to the US. 

We have an idea of the visa we need but want to apply from within the US so we don’t have to stay in the U.K. during the process. 

What is the best way for me to initially enter the US so that we can eventually go down the green card route? And once we have filed the I-130 paperwork, is there a way for me to work? Even if I need to submit a work application?

Many thanks,

Liam

Just now, Bachini said:

We have an idea of the visa we need but want to apply from within the US so we don’t have to stay in the U.K. during the process.

Not possible.

1 minute ago, Bachini said:

What is the best way for me to initially enter the US so that we can eventually go down the green card route?

Again, not possible. For that you need an immigrant visa to enter the US with an intent to live here permanently.

You need file the regular way for a IR1 visa for consular processing, will take about 18-24 months, after which you can enter US as a Lawful permanent resident and work/travel right away.

If you qualify, look into DCF for faster processing. You’ll need an exceptional circumstance, most common is an imminent relocation of the US citizen for a job (need an offer letter as proof).

34 minutes ago, Bachini said:

This makes me wonder if you know what visa to apply for? You are talking about doing the adjustment of status, which is not a visa and also not an option for you. You cannot use a non-immigrant visa (or Esta) to enter the US with the intent to adjust status. The IR1 is your path, or possibly DCF.

Edited by Daphne .

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Toffee19 said:

I am British and have been married to an American woman since 2019. We’ve lived in the U.K. since mid 2019 but are now wanting to move to the US. 

What is the best way for me to initially enter the US so that we can eventually go down the green card route? And once we have filed the I-130 paperwork, is there a way for me to work? Even if I need to submit a work application?

Many thanks,

Liam

Only legal way would be a job /job transfer that comes with a dual intent visa 

On 7/25/2023 at 12:06 PM, Toffee19 said:

Many thanks,

Liam

US immigration takes time and planning.  You can't just move here during the process.  You can't live or work in the US on ESTA or a B visa.  Your wife needs to petition you for a spousal visa with consular processing.  It will take up to two years.

I suggest you both thoroughly research the entire visa process, including which documents and forms are needed, and how your wife will be able to sponsor you as an immigrant.  

On 7/27/2023 at 9:26 PM, SalishSea said:

US immigration takes time and planning.  You can't just move here during the process.  You can't live or work in the US on ESTA or a B visa.  Your wife needs to petition you for a spousal visa with consular processing.  It will take up to two years.

I suggest you both thoroughly research the entire visa process, including which documents and forms are needed, and how your wife will be able to sponsor you as an immigrant.  

Agreed with you, it takes a lot of time in paper work for settling in US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.