53 posts in this topic

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
my fiancee is 17 years old but will turn 18 on sept. 8th of 07'.we want to do the fiancee visa.but we arent sure if she needs her parents permission to do it or bcuz she is 18 she needs no parents or legal guardians permission and the onlything that can stop her from coming is the embassy themselves.can any1 tell me if its true or not about her age and her parents permission.she is from the philippines and i am a legal united states resident.im 20 years old.

I just went through all of this last week with my wife. She attended the CFO course and she is 21. They would not issue her the CFO certificate or let her take the class without a letter from her parents saying that they agreed with what she was doing. Even though she is married they still required it. The lady at the CFO told her they are cracking down on this and enforcing it. So based on this I will say that she will need to get their permission to get the required CFO stamped to leave the country.

so then i have no other choice but to convince her parents to let her come here on a fiancee visa or to marry her there in the philippines correct?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
so then i have no other choice but to convince her parents to let her come here on a fiancee visa or to marry her there in the philippines correct?

Yes. Either way, because of her age her parents are going to have to give written permission. You will need that to get the marriage license or for the K1 route. 18-20yrs olds need written permission to leave or get married and 21-25 need written consent that states they have adviced her. Its one of the different things about the Philippines and the US. Luckily for me her family loved me and I had no problem getting it. Good luck. Hopefully you can convince them to give their blessings.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

nathanp, while a few people have mentioned it you don't seem to have realised yet -

there is no way you can get the K-1 BEFORE you meet in person

you seem to be thinking that the K-1 is your fiancee's way into the country, but there is a requirement within it that the two people petitioning have met, in person, somewhere in the world, within the last two years, and can prove it (they want passport stamps, boarding passes, photos and so on)

so you're going to need to arrange a meeting before you start the process

my apologies if you did indeed already know that, but when reading through the thread it doesn't seem that way... all the best with your planning :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Wait until she is 18 if you plan on marrying her in the Philippines. Marriage, when female is 17 years old, is considered null and void in the Philippines even with parental consent.

Edited by PatientlyWaiting

its ok.yeah i do know i have to meet her first in the philippines personally.i have read the requirements and she knows also bcuz i have talked to her about it.but b4 i visit her.i wanted to find out if she can come here on a fiancee visa without her parents permission b4 spending the money to visit her when i could have saved a little more and married here there then do the spousal visa.instead of visiting her thinking she can come here on the fiancee visa without parents permission only to find out i will have to visit again to marry her bcuz her parents wont let her come on a fiancee visa.but yeah i do know i have to meet her in person for either the fiancee or spousal visa.and thanks for telling me.i appreciate any help i can get.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmmm . . . sounds to me like you have no other choice than to convince her parents that marrying you is a good idea. Until she's 21, you'll need their "blessings" one way or the other.

Just as an aside, and I think others here will agree . . . it's generally a bad idea to marry someone whose family doesn't like you for whatever reason. Remember, you marry the family too whether you like it or not. :thumbs: Good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
C. Parent’s Consent or Advice. Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. Any contracting party between the age of 21 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple’s intent to marry.

If you intend to get married there thats not all you need..

Philippine law requires that you also need to get a document from the Embassy saying that you are legally able to marry. Then it takes 10 days for the marriage license.

If you intend to get married in a church then you also have a waiting period because thye put up this banner thing for like 3 weeks.

Sorry I'm not being more specific, real early in the morning and I'm tired and cant think of the document name or the exact time for the church.

As for an age requirement for a fiancee visa.. I can not find any specific documentation that there is a minimum age. Most counties in the US thou do have a requirement for how old you have to be to get a marriage license without parental consent.. Check the law where you live.

However you said she is turning 18 in sept.. so its kind of a moot point.. by the time any serious work starts getting done on your visa app she will be 18..

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
no we arent getting married in the philippines.her parents wont let us.so she has decided to do the fiancee k1 visa instead bcuz her parents r also trying to make her find another guy but she doesnt want to.so she is also now in a hurry to get away from her parents so they will leave her alone.so she has asked me to dd the fiancee visa so i can visit her sooner and get her here sooner.even her aunt finally convinced her to take the fiancee visa.

Your best off waiting until she is at least 18. Which will probably be the case anyway, since you need to meet in person first. But in general, once your 18, you can get married to whomever you want without parents permission in the US. But I still suggest checking your states laws just to be safe. You will need to meet in person before you will be able to file for a fiancee visa. Are you able to meet the other requirements for the fiancee visa?

I'm not really sure exactly how the CFO part plays into this, you may want to ask in the Philippines forum. She may end up needing parents permission not to get married, but to leave the country to get married.

With the exception of clearing up the OP's citizenship, all these details were covered in his first post. The applicable issue is the PI laws relative to her leaving for marriage. US immigration law is not an issue in this case.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

C. Parent’s Consent or Advice. Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. Any contracting party between the age of 21 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple’s intent to marry.

If you intend to get married there thats not all you need..

Philippine law requires that you also need to get a document from the Embassy saying that you are legally able to marry. Then it takes 10 days for the marriage license.

If you intend to get married in a church then you also have a waiting period because thye put up this banner thing for like 3 weeks.

Sorry I'm not being more specific, real early in the morning and I'm tired and cant think of the document name or the exact time for the church.

As for an age requirement for a fiancee visa.. I can not find any specific documentation that there is a minimum age. Most counties in the US thou do have a requirement for how old you have to be to get a marriage license without parental consent.. Check the law where you live.

However you said she is turning 18 in sept.. so its kind of a moot point.. by the time any serious work starts getting done on your visa app she will be 18..

Yes you are correct, there is more, but the question was specifically related to parents permission and age.

keTiiDCjGVo

yes.i want to find out if my girlfriend can come here on a fiancee visa without her parents permission like how she needs it to get married there.i dont know for sure if she also needs her parents permission to come to the states on a fiancee visa.if she is able to come on a fiancee visa without parents consent or permission.basically without her parents knowing about it makes it easier to say.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
yes.i want to find out if my girlfriend can come here on a fiancee visa without her parents permission like how she needs it to get married there.i dont know for sure if she also needs her parents permission to come to the states on a fiancee visa.if she is able to come on a fiancee visa without parents consent or permission.basically without her parents knowing about it makes it easier to say.

She needs a CFO

She needs her Parents Permission to get one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

oh.well thats a disappointment.thank you and thanks to every1 who replied.im still open for more answers if any1 has anymore to help me and any tips also.

Well, go to the Philippines first, visit her, meet her parents , and start from there. When everything has been arranged , get her parents consent ( Affidavit of Consent) before you start anything.

Joe and Myla

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.