nathanp

age requirement

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
no we arent getting married in the philippines.her parents wont let us.so she has decided to do the fiancee k1 visa instead bcuz her parents r also trying to make her find another guy but she doesnt want to.so she is also now in a hurry to get away from her parents so they will leave her alone.so she has asked me to dd the fiancee visa so i can visit her sooner and get her here sooner.even her aunt finally convinced her to take the fiancee visa.

Marriage applicants aged 18 to 21 must have written parental consent. Applicants aged 22 to 24 must have received parental advice. Philippine law prohibits the marriage of individuals under the age of 18.

Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the application to the issuance of the marriage license. The license is valid for 120 days and may be used anywhere in the Philippines.

Marriage to a U.S. citizen confers neither citizenship nor an automatic eligibility for entry to the United States. If the U.S. citizen does not reside in the Philippines, the Petition for Immigrant Visa (I-130) must be filed through the Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services office in the United States or at DHS window 19 (8-11:00AM, 1-3:00PM) at the US Embassy .

Any questions about filing an immigrant visa petition to bring the spouse to the United States should be directed to the nearest office of Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, the State Department's Visa Office (202) 663-1225 or, while in the Philippines, to the American Embassy in Manila.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha009.html

I'd recommend reading as much info about the K-1 process from the Manila Embassy site.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we arent wanting to get married in the philippines.only here.im just lloking to find out if she can come here on a fiancee visa.not being married in the philippines without her parents consent or permission.the information provided is for marrying in the philippines and thats not what we r looking for.but we may have to get married there if her parents wont let her come here on a fiancee visa and she needs their consent or permission.

Timeline
we arent wanting to get married in the philippines.only here.im just lloking to find out if she can come here on a fiancee visa.not being married in the philippines without her parents consent or permission.the information provided is for marrying in the philippines and thats not what we r looking for.but we may have to get married there if her parents wont let her come here on a fiancee visa and she needs their consent or permission.

Nathan, do you know what a CFO is? Without it, your fiancee will not be able to travel over here on a K-1 Visa, even with an approval from the US Embassy. Not only that, if you look at the source I gave, it is the US Manila Embassy - they aren't going to disregard the laws regarding consent from parents, so there's no chance of her coming over here on a k-1 before she turns 18, and she won't be able to come over without her parent's written consent or advice before 21 (check the website).

IMHO, you'd be better off to see these legal barriers and family obstacles as clues that the two of you should reconsider a future together.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Nathan,

To sum this all up, you want to bring a 17 year old girl that you have never met to the USA on a Fiance Visa? And, this girl wants to get away from her parents who are bothering her? And, her parents do not want her to marry you or give their permission for her to travel? The other posters have told you that your chances of getting her here are between "slim and none" and you insist that you want to bring her anyway? Nathan, this is just not going to happen!

And, you had better take a good HARD look at the obstacles you are facing. If her parents do not like you...there is a BIG problem. But, they have never met you either? Perhaps they are protecting their daughter in the only way that they know how from marrying with a 20 year old American citizen that she does not know, has not met personally and has no personal knowledge about...other than e-mails, photos, web-cams and phone calls...or however you communicated with this girl.

Whatever the outcome of your situation is, I wish you the best of luck. But, really Nathan...this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Sincerely,

Timeline
Nathan,

To sum this all up, you want to bring a 17 year old girl that you have never met to the USA on a Fiance Visa? And, this girl wants to get away from her parents who are bothering her? And, her parents do not want her to marry you or give their permission for her to travel? The other posters have told you that your chances of getting her here are between "slim and none" and you insist that you want to bring her anyway? Nathan, this is just not going to happen!

And, you had better take a good HARD look at the obstacles you are facing. If her parents do not like you...there is a BIG problem. But, they have never met you either? Perhaps they are protecting their daughter in the only way that they know how from marrying with a 20 year old American citizen that she does not know, has not met personally and has no personal knowledge about...other than e-mails, photos, web-cams and phone calls...or however you communicated with this girl.

Whatever the outcome of your situation is, I wish you the best of luck. But, really Nathan...this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Sincerely,

:thumbs::yes: Well said.

i understand.im not going to even file for a visa until she is 18 so lets just say she is 18 now.and i agree with u about her parents not meeting me.im hoping when i visit they will let her.but i wanted to find out for sure if she can come on a fiancee visa without parents permission so i dont have to worry about it when i visit and then have to visit again to marry her since she couldnt come on a fiancee visa.instead of spending twice as much money.if she cant come on a fiancee visa then i will marry her there.i understand what every1 i saying and appreciate it.but i just want to know if she can come here on a fiancee visa without parents consent or permission which now i know she cant.so our only choice is for me to visit and convince them.we have been talking for over 8 months now.ive called her cell phone on my ceel,text her ceel,she texted me back.we chatted on yahoo,msn,and skype,as well as friendster,and myspace.we both have webcams and use them everytime.ive made her a dvd with me talking to her parents and she has gotten it.they just dont understand whats going on here and think im just using her.they dont know what love is.they r selling her off like her older sis.her older sis wasnt ready to get married at 18 to a 40 year old but she did bcuz her parents basically made her and now they r having problems.all they see my girlfriend as is a way of money.they get mad when i dont send them any.but they dont understand i also have bills to pay and i cant send them every pay check i get or else i wont be able to pay my bills and save up to visit her.they r trying to sell her off to any1 who is willing to pay.her dad is a drunk and her mom doesnt take care of her and her baby sisters.they leave it all up to jenes to do all the chores and take care of her sisters as well as go to college.they wont even let her get a job.and she has to walk around for 3 hours to collect money for their store.her aprents arent working and rely on me and her older sisters husband for money to live off of.they dont care about jenes's feelings.only getting money and selling her.and thats how it really is.she even got mad and almost told them she will start stripping on webcam to make money but she stopped at the last second.she is very sensetive and weak.she wont stand up for herself to any1 and i understand that.i was like that b4.but i stood up and now i had a good welding job and a few other jobs until i got laid off on good terms.and now im searching again.they see it she should marry some old guy she doesnt love so they can get money just like her big sis.and she doesnt want to marry for money.she wants to marry for love.im her first and only boyfriend.

and they want me to give them 2,100 U.S. dollars just to marry her.thats buying her.im not giving them that much money just so i can marry her and she keeps telling me not to bcuz she doesnt want me giving them money.everytime they try to get her to talk to me about money or her dad comes home drunk.she closes everything so she cant talk to me and i go invisible until she replies.i never heard of any1 else doing that.i asked other filipinas about that and they said they never heard of that.but helping to pay for small bills and things is ok but that much money.thats outrageous.it will take over a month to get it on my old welding job.with that amount.i can buy my plane ticket and pay for a wedding.

For her to be able to leave the Philippines as your fiancee , she needs a certificate from the CFO, and the CFO WONT give her one if she doesnt have parental consent to marry you when she turns 18 because Philippines law requires it . . . . so the answer to your question is a big NO.

Edited by joeandmyla

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

I feel sorry for your g/f and you - the whole situation is sad. I suspect you care for this girl and also you feel you want to "rescue" her from her plight which is admirable - but marriage is a HUGE LIFETIME commitment. Your desire to act now is probably based on the notion that things for her can only get worse - her parents will wear her down daily until she gives in and does what they want. So you are seeking the quickest way out for her - your emotions are your over riding motivations at this point. There are no gurantees in this life and even marriages that are based on regular meetings with each other still dont work out at times - but i can see why some posters think it is a risk with so little actual contact with each other could be cause for concern.

I also have deep sympathy with you as someone who wants to do the right thing by someone you care for - I hope you can find a resolution and i dont really have any extra information than what you have been told - I just hope it works out for you both -

thanks.it is her idea to do the fiancee visa.she didnt want to leave the philippines without being married but she knows her parents will keep pushing her so she wants to do the fiancee visa if her parents let her but if not then we will get married in the philippines.so im saving up the extra money when i visit incase we cant convince her parents to let her come here on a fiancee visa.her parents dont understand.thanks every1 for the advice and tips.it helps me out alot.and im always open for them.thanks.

Timeline
I feel sorry for your g/f and you - the whole situation is sad. I suspect you care for this girl and also you feel you want to "rescue" her from her plight which is admirable - but marriage is a HUGE LIFETIME commitment.

Nathan, that's exactly what I did with my first marriage (I was 18 and she was 19 when we first began to date)...thought I could rescue her. As noble as that may seem, you can't rescue her from her family or her troubles. Please do her and yourself a favor and back off. You too can wait it out for a couple of years and you both will have a better relationship for it. If the relationship can't survive the distance and time then it wasn't meant to be.

Nathan,

The other thing you are over looking is the fact that even if she *could* come over here on a fiancee visa without her parent's permission, you and her would still have to have met in person before filing the petition for the visa.

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP
Day 000: 2007-12-27 Mailed Application
Day 002: 2007-12-29 Received at Chicago Lockbox
Day 003: 2007-12-30 "Received Date"
Day 007: 2008-01-03 All 5 NOAs (K1 + K2 AOS, K1 EAD, K1 + K2 AP)
Day 008: 2008-01-04 K-2 AOS Touched
Day 011: 2008-01-07 $1610 Check cleared
Day 011: 2008-01-07 All 5 physical NOAs received
Day 012: 2008-01-08 K-1 files Touched, but not K-2
Day 014: 2008-01-10 K-2 AP Touched
Day 016: 2008-01-12 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
Day 029: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.
Day 043: 2008-02-08 K-2 Notice of interview received
Day 044: 2008-02-09 K-1 Notice of interview received
Day 056: 2008-02-21 APs approved and EAD card production ordered
Day 126: 2008-05-01 Interviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
K1/K2 Application
Day 000: 2007-03-16 Sent out I-129F Package
Day 012: 2007-03-28 NOA1
Day 082: 2007-06-06 NOA2
Day 103: 2007-06-27 NVC Received
Day 105: 2007-06-29 NVC Forwarded to Montreal
Day 117: 2007-07-11 Montreal Sends Packet 3
Day 125: 2007-07-19 Receive Packet 3
Day 129: 2007-07-23 Send Checklist and Forms Back
Day 131: 2007-07-25 Montreal Receives Packet 3
Day 137: 2007-07-31 Medical
Day 169: 2007-09-01 "Wedding" (aka the $10K party)
Day 192: 2007-09-24 Receive "Packet 4" (Interview letter)
Day 238: 2007-11-09 Interview in Montreal
Day 245: 2007-11-16 Visas Received
Day 248: 2007-11-19 Moved to USA
Day 249: 2007-11-20 Legal wedding

no im not over looking that we have to meet.i know we do and have said it a few times already.i know what i have to doa dn im very aware of it.i even told her that.so we both know whatw e ahve to do but im just trying to find out if she can come without her parents permission on a fiancee visa.i know about everything else for sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.