AndiB

Attitude in replies

130 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Yet VJ is a public forum.

Off- topic means "not immigration related". Therefore, politics is allowed in there. Please, don't take me wrong, sometimes the intent comes across as rude in written messages. But my question is, is someone forcing you to read the off- topic threads? Why is it so hard to just ignore the threads you don't like in VJ? Again, it is the off- topic thread, and people have the right to post whatever they want to in there. It's called freedom of speech, and it is one of the principles in the US Constitution.

How am I supposed to convey emphasis? You know, when people talk, they use tone and pitch to convey emphasis. I do it, you do it, your mom does it, the Presiden does, everyone does. I don't have that possibility when the message is written. How am I supposed to convey emphasis? Are we really getting upset and nitpicking on one word that is bolded for emphasis? Again, what happened to free speech?

Also, in the snapshot you share someone calls people that have different opinions "boomers". Free speech, fine. But is it not disrespectful to label people like that? Or is it only disrespectful when someone else does it to you? 

Unless VJ receives taxpayer dollars, it is privately owned and operated by private individuals who have the right to set their own policies.

I will probably never check the off-topic threads again, but they still make the forum less welcoming to me. Would you want to spend your time in a community where many of the most prolific members ardently disagree with your core values?

Respect is earned and mutual. I am comfortable disrespecting the views of people who disrespect mine. Is it particularly healthy? Of course not. But it's exactly why I think culture war topics don't belong here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 minutes ago, meladee said:

Again, context. This is a about a shooter that happened to be trans. In their comment, Dashinka says that "mentally unstable people tend to do bad things", to which TBone replies that "they" (referring to mentally unstable people) should be institutionalized, not trans people! Do we not agree that mentally unstable people can be a danger to themselves and others, and should be institutionalized, precisely for that reason?

And yeah, I am very active on the K1 forum. @Boiler and @Redro can attest to that.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

4 minutes ago, Vashezzo said:

Unless VJ receives taxpayer dollars, it is privately owned and operated by private individuals who have the right to set their own policies.

I will probably never check the off-topic threads again, but they still make the forum less welcoming to me. Would you want to spend your time in a community where many of the most prolific members ardently disagree with your core values?

Respect is earned and mutual. I am comfortable disrespecting the views of people who disrespect mine. Is it particularly healthy? Of course not. But it's exactly why I think culture war topics don't belong here.

I really think you should make your own post about this. It is a totally separate topic to "respectful replies". 

Everyone (regardless of their political views) can go through the immigration process (if they have a basis for petition). 

Everyone (regardless of their political views) can apply for a student visa, j1 visa, tourist visa- they might not get it but they are allowed to apply. 

VisaJourney for whatever reason has kept CEHST up. If people don't report threads, how are mods supposed to know there is an issue? 

If people decide they don't want to engage but they'll keep to certain forums and avoid other forums and avoid certain topics and posts. That is a choice they've made. They can't then complain that certain posts are still up and "why haven't the mods done something?"

If you don't complain about what you don't like- mods will never know.  

I feel like I have replied as much as I can in the thread given the initial complaint. 

Good luck to everyone in their immigration journeys and see you in some other threads! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Again, context

Please, we can hear the dog whistles. The use of "these people" when the article is about one person. The farcical lead in: "Normal people -- an oppressed minority -- to whom we owe love and respect." A trans person going to a spa? "I expect the police to be called to that spa to investigate charges of sexual assault."

Timeline
5 minutes ago, meladee said:

Please, we can hear the dog whistles. The use of "these people" when the article is about one person. The farcical lead in: "Normal people -- an oppressed minority -- to whom we owe love and respect." A trans person going to a spa? "I expect the police to be called to that spa to investigate charges of sexual assault."

Completely unrelated to Andi B original post. I'm out before they close this thread.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Redro said:

I really think you should make your own post about this. It is a totally separate topic to "respectful replies". 

Everyone (regardless of their political views) can go through the immigration process (if they have a basis for petition). 

Everyone (regardless of their political views) can apply for a student visa, j1 visa, tourist visa- they might not get it but they are allowed to apply. 

VisaJourney for whatever reason has kept CEHST up. If people don't report threads, how are mods supposed to know there is an issue? 

If people decide they don't want to engage but they'll keep to certain forums and avoid other forums and avoid certain topics and posts. That is a choice they've made. They can't then complain that certain posts are still up and "why haven't the mods done something?"

If you don't complain about what you don't like- mods will never know.  

I feel like I have replied as much as I can in the thread given the initial complaint. 

Good luck to everyone in their immigration journeys and see you in some other threads! 

You're asking us to report posts to the people posting them. The most likely outcome of that is the classic "we've investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing" meme. The whole argument that we should report behavior we find problematic to the mods breaks down when the mods themselves are the problematic users.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Vashezzo said:

The whole argument that we should report behavior we find problematic to the mods breaks down when the mods themselves are the problematic users.

Have you considered making your own forum with your own rules, and moderating it?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Redro said:

Because the posts are BY the mods. Thus it is not an issue in the technical way, and therefore they would do nothing. We're saying it's a bad look, it's disgusting content, and you all can decide whatever you want to do with your "free speech", but we find it ridiculous that the rules you choose to enforce are:

1. Don't post links to helpful sources, even if they aren't a competing website, even if they no longer have a page for donations, even if their content actually drives more traffic and discussion to VJ
  2. Say all of the messed up hateful things you want to, just say it in the corner of the site so it only surfaces when people use the search function
  3. It's okay to be a bit of a jerk because it's not worth the effort not to be

Like, cool, now I know, maybe you could sticky these? Would have saved me some time realizing this place is not somewhere I want to hang out.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Again, context. This is a about a shooter that happened to be trans. In their comment, Dashinka says that "mentally unstable people tend to do bad things", to which TBone replies that "they" (referring to mentally unstable people) should be institutionalized, not trans people! Do we not agree that mentally unstable people can be a danger to themselves and others, and should be institutionalized, precisely for that reason?

And yeah, I am very active on the K1 forum. @Boiler and @Redro can attest to that.

Direct quotes from that thread, in order:

"Normal people -- an oppressed minority -- to whom we owe love and respect."

"Starting to see a pattern "
"Yes, mentally unstable people sometimes do bad things. "
"These people are insane and should be institutionalized. "

The word "people" here is referring explicitly to trans people, the "oppressed minority" from the original post. Trying to claim otherwise is tone-deaf at best, and maliciously disingenuous at worst.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Have you considered making your own forum with your own rules, and moderating it?

Saying "if you don't like it, leave" supports my argument - that's what many of us are doing. :)

Again, it's up to the site owner to decide if that's what he wants.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

I think I see you more on Hacking! I think it is the Argentina connection. 

Do you know how they set up down there, not sure I know the history. Time zone makes sense but he has never mentioned any obvious connection. Amusingly Hacking had a major political rant yesterday, just watched the beginning and need to watch the rest.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Completely unrelated to Andi B original post. I'm out before they close this thread.

My bad, you had asked for it:

1 hour ago, Rocio0010 said:

Link? I have never, ever seen hatred in here, let alone towards certain communities. And I have been here every day for the last four years.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think I see you more on Hacking! I think it is the Argentina connection. 

Do you know how they set up down there, not sure I know the history. Time zone makes sense but he has never mentioned any obvious connection. Amusingly Hacking had a major political rant yesterday, just watched the beginning and need to watch the rest.

I did hear part of the rant yesterday, but I couldn't quite hear the rest. I am visiting Argentina and my family, and they can be very loud! Lol

I do not know how they set up here, nor do I know how the employees receive the payment! 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Vashezzo said:

Again, it's up to the site owner to decide if that's what he wants.

No, what I mean is, if you have so many issues with the mods in VJ and the way VJ is handled, why don't you just go ahead and create a whole new website, outside of VJ, where you set up the rules and moderate however you want it. Genuine question, why do you stick around if you dislike it so much?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400