Kyley84

I-407 / Approved ESTA - Enter into US

42 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, OldUser said:

Correct, but dual citizenship doesn't let you choose your nationality to present selectively when you visit countries of your citizenship.

E.g. you will be percieved by authorities as a US citizen in US, despite having UK passport. You will also be perceived a UK citizen by British authorities when coming to the UK despite of US citizenship.

In third country (say Germany), you choose whether to present yourself as British or American.

The DoS recommends using your US passport even in the country(s) where you also have a citizenship if the latter allows it. This way the US government can offer you a much better protection than if you enter such a country with its passport. Because I only had my US passport, I traveled to the country of my other citizenship on it. I had previously inquired about the option at their embassy and they confirmed that it was okay to do so.     

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

20 hours ago, Kyley84 said:

Ok well i fly out in 2 weeeks and i read that US citizens can't be denied entry. So i simply have to explain the situation to the CBP and worse case i will need to go to the secondary area to explain? I mean she is 5.

Hopefully, they'll take pity on you because you are traveling with a 5 year old. 

But, I've been in secondary before watching people get grilled. Not sure why you might want to expose your daughter to unpleasantness after a long flight to an additional couple of hours while they sort out her paperwork and your paperwork. 

I know you can't turn back time- so this is a message to other people who might find themselves in a similar situation-  but you could have renewed her US passport 6 months before it expired... so before you left for the UK or even right after you arrived to the UK.  

Apologies, i had reached my daily post limit, so could not respond yesterday....

23 hours ago, Mike E said:

Please withdraw your vow to lie to CBP.

WITHDRAWN - i apologise if it came across this way. I geniuenly thought it was perfectly legal for my daughter and I to enter the US using our UK passports and ESTAs in lieu of a GC and US Passport. I have learned a lot over the past day!

22 hours ago, Mike E said:

So OP wants to compound the problem by misrepresenting the daughter as a non U.S. citizen. This is what can happen to U.S. citizens who claim to not be U.S. citizens at the port of entry:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200118025123/https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/23/francisco-erwin-galicia-ice-cpb-us-citizen-detained-texas/

Misrepresnting unintnetionally, again apologies. On the ESTA i stated my daughter was born in the US, was a US citizen and gave her expired US passport number and expiry date and the ESTA was still approved. The fact it was approved naturally made me think what i was doing was correct. I was not trying to pull wool over anyones eyes, i was transparent and provided all the information and it was still authorized. I know now i should never have applied in the first place.

I would like to say i have learnt a lot and now understand my daughter should enter on her US passport, and I on my GC and then sign a I-407 in exchange to be able to stay as a visitor for my scheduled 2 week visit (i have always planned to abandon). I hold my hands up and say yes i was undeducated and ill informed, you don't know what you don't know and when both ESTAs were authorized i assumed i had done everything correctly but yes i should have researched earler! I have now been corrected and understand for the future! I hope at least this is a good warning to others.

As i said i will enter with my GC and be transparent with my situation. I have an appointment booked next week (earliest possible) at the US embassy in London to get a US passport for my daughter, this will have to be an emergency / expedited one as we leave 8 days after the appointment, keep your fingers crossed.

One final question please: My ex-wife / daughters mother (who we are fluing over to visit) can't attend so is going to sign a DS-3053 consent form, have it notorised and send to me along with a copy of her ID. Can the form be a photocopy? I.e. scanned and emailed to me? Or does it have to be the original? I see nothing online explicilty stating it has to be the original?  She is going to scan and email but also send via Fed-Ex on the quickest delivery possible, but just want to know my options incase it doesn't arrive in time.

Thanks again for all the advice, perhaps i will sort all this out just in time. Lesson learned!

Edited by Kyley84

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kyley84 said:

As i said i will enter with my GC and be transparent with my situation. I have an appointment booked next week (earliest possible) at the US embassy in London to get a US passport for my daughter, this will have to be an emergency / expedited one as we leave 8 days after the appointment, keep your fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for that! Hope your daughter gets her new passport in time

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

• 3 weeks later...

A final update on this!

My daughter got an emergency passport at our embassy appointment. The London embassy is brand new and we were in and out within an hour with an emergency passport in hand. It's valid for a year but once I return to the UK I basically post it off and they send back a full US passport for her.

At the Port of Entry I was not asked a single question about my greencard.

They asked why my daughter had an emergency passport. I explained the situation and the border patrol officer was totally fine with it. Basically straight through in 30 secs. So a lot of panic intially, thankfully a stress free entry but I learned a lot for sure. Cheers guys.

5 minutes ago, Kyley84 said:

A final update on this!

My daughter got an emergency passport at our embassy appointment. The London embassy is brand new and we were in and out within an hour with an emergency passport in hand. It's valid for a year but once I return to the UK I basically post it off and they send back a full US passport for her.

At the Port of Entry I was not asked a single question about my greencard.

They asked why my daughter had an emergency passport. I explained the situation and the border patrol officer was totally fine with it. Basically straight through in 30 secs. So a lot of panic intially, thankfully a stress free entry but I learned a lot for sure. Cheers guys.

Thank you so much for the update! Did you enter on GC or ESTA? 

1 minute ago, Redro said:

Thank you so much for the update! Did you enter on GC or ESTA? 

I entered on my GC as recommended by this thread / the actual legal way to do it.

He didn't ask about my ESTA application (perhaps he couldn't see it / or maybe he didn't care).

He literally didn't ask a single question about I or my GC, only my daughters emergency passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That seemed the logical route I assume no I 407 as that would have resulted in some conversation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

To increase the odds that you are not on U.S. territory when I-407 is processed, consider sending it USPS registered mail. It is slow by design. It also ensures the form and GC gets there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Maybe as you leave.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.