Caro1

Offer Letter - provide SSN before start date

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi VJ-family,

I have received an Offer Letter from my employer to accept a position in the US. 
They are aware, I’ll enter the US on May 16, where i will get the I-551 stamp, giving me authorization to work. 

However in the offer letter, it says I’m required provide a SSN before my start date. My start date is May 22, from what I’ve read on here, I won’t have the Social Security Card by then, which I opted to get on the DS-260. 

Do you guys think that’s a problem? 
am I allowed to accept the offer letter anyway?

Thanks!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you told your employer they will have to wait?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Have you told your employer they will have to wait?

Does that mean it’s not possible to start without the SSN? Isn’t there any way to get the Number without the card? 

I was under the impression that I am allowed to work the day I arrive. 
is that not true?

i explained to my employer when I would enter, and that my the stamp on my passport is work authorization. I told them I would provide the ssn as soon as I have it. I haven’t gotten a response yet, as they are probably still asleep. 

Edited by Caro1

Timeline

I thought your Employer wants your SSN before you start?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I thought your Employer wants your SSN before you start?

That’s what it says in the offer letter I received last night. 
Now I’m contemplating, if I’m allowed to sign the offer letter. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Caro1 said:

Does that mean it’s not possible to start without the SSN? Isn’t there any way to get the Number without the card? 

I was under the impression that I am allowed to work the day I arrive. 
is that not true?

i explained to my employer when I would enter, and that my the stamp on my passport is work authorization. I told them I would provide the ssn as soon as I have it. I haven’t gotten a response yet, as they are probably still asleep. 

Yes, you need the SSN before they can put you on payroll.  A few days after you enter the US go to the SSA office and apply for an SSN with your stamped passport and a copy of your I94.  It is usually faster.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Yes, you need the SSN before they can put you on payroll.  A few days after you enter the US go to the SSA office and apply for an SSN with your stamped passport and a copy of your I94.  It is usually faster.

Good Luck!

Thank you! I will try to do that. 

do you think it will cause any problems, because I also checked the box on DS-260 asking to issue a SSN?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Caro1 said:

Thank you! I will try to do that. 

do you think it will cause any problems, because I also checked the box on DS-260 asking to issue a SSN?

Shouldn’t.  Back in 2019, our cousins came over on DV visas, they checked the box, but after about 3 weeks of being here and getting their physical GCs, the SSN had not arrived, so we went down to the SSA and they applied.  They got their SSN about two weeks later.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, Caro1 said:

That’s what it says in the offer letter I received last night. 

The offer letter could be based on some company boilerplate.  I suggest you contact the company again to explain that you might not get your SSN before your start date and ask if that's ok with them.  You can't get paid until you provide SSN, but the company may be ok with you starting work while waiting for it.  That was the case with @JFH --

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The offer letter could be based on some company boilerplate.  I suggest you contact the company again to explain that you might not get your SSN before your start date and ask if that's ok with them.  You can't get paid until you provide SSN, but the company may be ok with you starting work while waiting for it.  That was the case with @JFH --

Thank you! I will do that! 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 5/12/2023 at 12:44 PM, Chancy said:

You can't get paid until you provide SSN, but the company may be ok with you starting work while waiting for it.

Hey! 
just wanted to update this post with some new information in case someone else is researching the same thing :)

I had followed up with HR and they said they were fine with starting as long as the SSN had been applied for. 
I entered the US on 5/16, official hire date was 5/21, first day of work was 5/22. 
I didn’t end up receiving my SSN until 6/20.  (Had to apply in person, after not receiving the SSN after 3 weeks after entry)

i got my first paycheck on 6/9 for work completed from 5/21 - 6/2, although I didn’t have a SSN then yet, my paycheck stub says taxes were withheld. 

Timeline

Did they ask what deductions you wanted to withhold?

They can just use a placeholder number and then go back and update it.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Did they ask what deductions you wanted to withhold?

They can just use a placeholder number and then go back and update it.

Yes, they did, I had to fill out a W4. 
And yeah, I think they used a placeholder number

Timeline

When I used to run payroll that is what I would have done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.