TaskenLander

Request For Evidence -- Form I-130A Request

35 posts in this topic

Hello,

First time posting! I am seeking clarity on an RFE I received from USICS the other day. I received a message, and then letter, stating the following:

“FORM I-130A REQUEST The Form I-130 Instructions indicate that the petitions filed on behalf of a spouse must be accompanied by a completed and signed Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary. Although you submitted the required Form I-130A, it is incomplete and is missing page 4, page 5, and page 6. Submit a fully completed and signed Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, for XXXX. If your spouse is overseas, Form I-130A must still be completed, but your spouse does not have to sign Form I-130A.”

I believe my mistake was, feeling that the last pages mostly didn’t apply to us, I merely left the fields blank and just stuck a post-it on the pages that read ‘N/A’, along with my signature. Obviously, now I realize that was a dumb move.  So now, obviously, I just have my wife refill out the form, write ‘N/A’ in every box and put a ‘0’ for any numerical questions that do not apply to us? For boxes like ‘Interpreter’s Signature’, she just leaves that blank or should she write ‘N/A’ in that box as well? And lastly, for the coversheet that I must mail back on top of completed I-130A, where it says:

“Please check the appropriate box regarding if there is a new Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative, additional fees, additional forms, etc. Please place the new Form G-28, additional fees, additional forms directly under this sheet.”

Do I leave those boxes empty or do I check ‘additional forms’ or ‘other’?

Thank you in advance so much for taking the time to read through all of this and answering my (most likely incredibly daft) questions!

Edited by TaskenLander

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, TaskenLander said:

Hello,

First time posting! I am seeking clarity on an RFE I received from USICS the other day. I received a message, and then letter, stating the following:

“FORM I-130A REQUEST The Form I-130 Instructions indicate that the petitions filed on behalf of a spouse must be accompanied by a completed and signed Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary. Although you submitted the required Form I-130A, it is incomplete and is missing page 4, page 5, and page 6. Submit a fully completed and signed Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, for XXXX. If your spouse is overseas, Form I-130A must still be completed, but your spouse does not have to sign Form I-130A.”

I believe my mistake was, feeling that the last pages mostly didn’t apply to us, I merely left the fields blank and just stuck a post-it on the pages that read ‘N/A’, along with my signature. Obviously, now I realize that was a dumb move.  So now, obviously, I just have my wife refill out the form, write ‘N/A’ in every box and put a ‘0’ for any numerical questions that do not apply to us? For boxes like ‘Interpreter’s Signature’, she just leaves that blank or should she write ‘N/A’ in that box as well? And lastly, for the coversheet that I must mail back on top of completed I-130A, where it says:

“Please check the appropriate box regarding if there is a new Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative, additional fees, additional forms, etc. Please place the new Form G-28, additional fees, additional forms directly under this sheet.”

Do I leave those boxes empty or do I check ‘additional forms’ or ‘other’?

Thank you in advance so much for taking the time to read through all of this and answering my (most likely incredibly daft) questions!

It doesn't matter who types the information into the form.  If you know the information, just do it yourself.  No field will allow entry of N/A, so type Not Applicable.  This does not need to be in every field.  Use some common sense.  Also, some questions ARE applicable, but the answer is NONE.

That said, it is absolutely ok to leave pages 4 through 6 blank, so perhaps you didn't include the pages.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

It doesn't matter who types the information into the form.  If you know the information, just do it yourself.  No field will allow entry of N/A, so type Not Applicable.  This does not need to be in every field.  Use some common sense.  Also, some questions ARE applicable, but the answer is NONE.

That said, it is absolutely ok to leave pages 4 through 6 blank, so perhaps you didn't include the pages.

Thanks for the feedback. I took a video of me slowly going through the visa petition packet page by page before I submitted it last June. I absolutely included them (I-130a pgs 4 - 6), but alas certainly left many fields blank. Thought I was using common sense at the time. 😓

342958320_499231182308692_24986099679546041_n.jpg

345914460_789206915729578_7533830596078151864_n.jpg

344172944_1300097177384425_3968745274008516042_n.jpg

I can see right away in your first screenshot that you didn’t put the page number in for part 7- question 3A. So perhaps you have more of these missing bits of info that they need in order to process accurately. I can’t see the other screenshots. 

3 hours ago, BLC said:

I can see right away in your first screenshot that you didn’t put the page number in for part 7- question 3A. So perhaps you have more of these missing bits of info that they need in order to process accurately. I can’t see the other screenshots. 

Weird. They show up on my PC, but not on my phone.

Officially giving this another go (re-filling out my I-130A for my wife's petition), I received an RFE due to me leaving various n/a fields blank instead of actually writing out 'n/a' in them. A few remaining (perhaps knucklehead but burning) questions: for 2.) USCIS online number -- do I put ours since we have one now since we submitted our petition a year ago? Or does that mean something other and I just put 'n/a'? What's the rules with n/a dates, again? Just put a 'n/a' or '0'? For n/a Interpreters' signatures: 'n/a' there, too, will do it? And lastly: does it make any difference if I fill this out on her behalf and sign under 'preparer' or should she fill it out and sign and mail me? She needs to mail me some documents for her ITIN anyhow.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. This #$%^ is officially starting to stress/affect me and make me second-guess myself on everything. I just want to make sure I am getting this right on the second pass as to not waste any more time. Thanks!

345658561_760872129025867_1919752500327857848_n.jpg

344435638_263538276133145_4235410132448933790_n.jpg

344507875_258604276733527_630830503562919049_n.jpg

Edited by TaskenLander
typo

12 hours ago, TaskenLander said:

USCIS online number -- do I put ours since we have one now since we submitted our petition a year ago? Or does that mean something other and I just put 'n/a'? What's the rules with n/a dates, again? Just put a 'n/a' or '0'? For n/a Interpreters' signatures: 'n/a' there, too, will do it? And lastly: does it make any difference if I fill this out on her behalf and sign under 'preparer' or should she fill it out and sign and mail me? She needs to mail me some documents for her ITIN anyhow.

USCIS online number -- if you know yours, write it in the form.  If not, just put "N/A".

Interpreter -- put "N/A".

Preparer -- you may sign as form preparer, but it won't hurt your case to just put "N/A".

Beneficiary's signature -- not required if the beneficiary resides outside the US.  It won't hurt if your wife fills out and signs the form herself, as long as it doesn't delay your response past the RFE deadline.

On 5/16/2023 at 8:47 AM, Chancy said:

USCIS online number -- if you know yours, write it in the form.  If not, just put "N/A".

Interpreter -- put "N/A".

Preparer -- you may sign as form preparer, but it won't hurt your case to just put "N/A".

Beneficiary's signature -- not required if the beneficiary resides outside the US.  It won't hurt if your wife fills out and signs the form herself, as long as it doesn't delay your response past the RFE deadline.

Thank you so much for your reply! I am starting to get antsy; I have until July 28 to submit reply but don't wish to wait a moment longer than necessary TBH. If it's all the same, I think I just may sign as 'preparer' on her behalf so I get get it mailed out ASAP. According to everything I understand, that should be totally acceptable, no? Or would you still advise to wait for my wife to mail me her copy of the filled out and signed forms? Thanks again for your feedback! :)

13 hours ago, TaskenLander said:

would you still advise to wait for my wife to mail me her copy of the filled out and signed forms?

No need for your wife to sign as she lives outside the US.  Our I-130A was also not signed.  For extra peace of mind, we added a note in the Additional Information section saying it was not signed by the beneficiary as she resides overseas.

On 5/19/2023 at 8:01 AM, Chancy said:

No need for your wife to sign as she lives outside the US.  Our I-130A was also not signed.  For extra peace of mind, we added a note in the Additional Information section saying it was not signed by the beneficiary as she resides overseas.

Thank you; will do! And I'm from Louisiana, too! ☺️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 5/18/2023 at 8:23 PM, TaskenLander said:

Thank you so much for your reply! I am starting to get antsy; I have until July 28 to submit reply but don't wish to wait a moment longer than necessary TBH. If it's all the same, I think I just may sign as 'preparer' on her behalf so I get get it mailed out ASAP. According to everything I understand, that should be totally acceptable, no? Or would you still advise to wait for my wife to mail me her copy of the filled out and signed forms? Thanks again for your feedback! :)

I filled out the i130a after talking with my spouse, and put myself as the preparer including signing it (in the preparer on page 5).  We passed thru UCSIS stage with 0 RFE.

4 hours ago, Troy B said:

I filled out the i130a after talking with my spouse, and put myself as the preparer including signing it (in the preparer on page 5).  We passed thru UCSIS stage with 0 RFE.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you include any note that your spouse was out of the country at the time of filing or just merely signed as preparer? 

1 minute ago, TaskenLander said:

for things like drop down boxes: write ‘n/a’ in them as well or just leave them be?

Ok to leave blank, but it won't hurt if you hand-write "N/A" anyway.  For our petition, we only put "N/A" on the 1st item of the section.  Example, for interpreter's address, "N/A" for street number, blank for all other address fields.

2 minutes ago, TaskenLander said:

Do I still check this box off for her, confirming that she understands English and has read all questions and instructions clearly?

Still select/mark item 1a, even if you also mark item 2.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.