Catperson_rx

DS-5535 and Administrative Processing after K1 Visa Interview. What's next?

103 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have never seen this happen. 

Not all WoM's work, but what are they going to say where they have had 6 months, you file and give them another 60 days, I have heard of them asking for another month, so by then they have to say sorry Judge yes it has been 9 months and we can not do our job. How long does it take? What are they doing, or more likely not doing.

Interesting. Thanks so much for the response. I will definitely consider WoM past the 6 months mark. Really hoping it doesn't come to that. In the meantime I will contact my local congressman. Even if it doesn't do anything, still better than doing nothing I guess.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No harm and why not. I doubt it does anything, and I have seen people say well it was approved a week later, but most likely coincidental.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
On 5/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, Catperson_rx said:

Interesting. Thanks so much for the response. I will definitely consider WoM past the 6 months mark. Really hoping it doesn't come to that. In the meantime I will contact my local congressman. Even if it doesn't do anything, still better than doing nothing I guess.

Hello again,

Do you remember the color slip you were given at the embassy? Ours was Green for the 221G and then given a DS5535 via email

Timeline
1 minute ago, Inveigh said:

Hello again,

Do you remember the color slip you were given at the embassy? Ours was Green for the 221G and then given a DS5535 via email

Hi, it was light blue. It said that the visa has been "refused" and it requires administrative processing which could take several months. We got an email with DS 5535 the next morning. Do different colors of 221g mean different things? 🤔

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Catperson_rx said:

Hi, it was light blue. It said that the visa has been "refused" and it requires administrative processing which could take several months. We got an email with DS 5535 the next morning. Do different colors of 221g mean different things? 🤔

To answer your question. YES! My fiance and I through extensive online research and forums and facebook groups of personal experiences of others found out that different colors of 221g Signify different things. see below:

The 221(g) global guide : r/self (reddit.com)

Orange/Yellow = Technology Alert List (TAL).

This type of security clearance applies mostly to graduate students (sometimes undergraduates) or those employed in a specialty field/industry, if the research or position involves the use of sensitive data (mostly those studying or employed in STEM fields). Estimated wait: 7-31 business days minimum and 32-108 business days maximum.

White/Blue = Record ping/Name check.

This type of security check applies whether you have a criminal background or not. Your name might have gotten matched to someone with the same or a similar name to yours, so your identity has to be verified. Estimated wait: 8-14 business days minimum but can take as long as 15-90 business days maximum.

Green = SEVIS/USCIS related*.

This type of security check is required when your data doesn't match what is on the system or contains errors. The errors can either be from bugs or slow updates in the system or human error on the application and can be resolved through verification. Estimated wait: 2-21 business days minimum and 22-42 business days maximum.

Pink = Internal Decision.

This type of security check is handled by the embassy and is required for verifying information during the interview that was deemed conflicting and involves the completion of a questionnaire/survey to move forward. This case type is typically updated regularly. (It is alleged that familial relations are connected to this type of processing) Estimated time: To be determined.

Purple = "Unorthodox".

This type of check is given when most of the information provided via application and interview are deemed to be suspicious despite some accuracies. Estimated time: Indefinite.

Edited by Inveigh

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Inveigh said:

To answer your question. YES! My fiance and I through extensive online research and forums and facebook groups of personal experiences of others found out that different colors of 221g Signify different things. see below:

The 221(g) global guide : r/self (reddit.com)

Orange/Yellow = Technology Alert List (TAL).

This type of security clearance applies mostly to graduate students (sometimes undergraduates) or those employed in a specialty field/industry, if the research or position involves the use of sensitive data (mostly those studying or employed in STEM fields). Estimated wait: 7-31 business days minimum and 32-108 business days maximum.

White/Blue = Record ping/Name check.

This type of security check applies whether you have a criminal background or not. Your name might have gotten matched to someone with the same or a similar name to yours, so your identity has to be verified. Estimated wait: 8-14 business days minimum but can take as long as 15-90 business days maximum.

Green = SEVIS/USCIS related*.

This type of security check is required when your data doesn't match what is on the system or contains errors. The errors can either be from bugs or slow updates in the system or human error on the application and can be resolved through verification. Estimated wait: 2-21 business days minimum and 22-42 business days maximum.

Pink = Internal Decision.

This type of security check is handled by the embassy and is required for verifying information during the interview that was deemed conflicting and involves the completion of a questionnaire/survey to move forward. This case type is typically updated regularly. (It is alleged that familial relations are connected to this type of processing) Estimated time: To be determined.

Purple = "Unorthodox".

This type of check is given when most of the information provided via application and interview are deemed to be suspicious despite some accuracies. Estimated time: Indefinite.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!! Finally some clarification and useful info.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Catperson_rx said:

AP after submitting DS-5535 - Tourist Visas - VisaJourney

heres another forum my friend

Edited by Inveigh

Timeline
On 5/15/2023 at 10:17 AM, Catperson_rx said:

Hey man just coming back to check on you and fill you in, the CEAC Website just updated for us. This is either the 3rd or 4th update we have received since getting refused status since the interview. We hear that there is at least 5 updates before getting through for K1's but am unsure how true this holds. But today 22MAY2023 is the last updated date in the CEAC Case Tracker

Timeline
10 hours ago, Inveigh said:

Hey man just coming back to check on you and fill you in, the CEAC Website just updated for us. This is either the 3rd or 4th update we have received since getting refused status since the interview. We hear that there is at least 5 updates before getting through for K1's but am unsure how true this holds. But today 22MAY2023 is the last updated date in the CEAC Case Tracker

Hey thanks for the update. My case has only been updated once since the initial refusal. It was 3 days after submitting the DS 5535. I'm checking the CEAC portal daily hoping for a miracle.

Timeline
On 5/22/2023 at 6:42 PM, Catperson_rx said:

Hey thanks for the update. My case has only been updated once since the initial refusal. It was 3 days after submitting the DS 5535. I'm checking the CEAC portal daily hoping for a miracle.

Damn its only been updated once? I would contact your State Congressman Representative or Senator to inquire to ensure they have full control over what's going on. Its not uncommon for government entities to make mistakes (for any country for that matter)

My case just got Updated again today and now its Case Last Updated as of 24MAY2023. I hope yours gets an update soon.

Let me know what you find out if you try that option.

Guys we got DS-5535 green slip on Tuesday May 16th. We sent it on May 17th to the email address that was given to us. Our case has not updated and when I check the status on the website it says they have requested us to fill DS 5535 still.

I have emailed them a second time and got no response again. What should I do?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are just waiting, nothing to do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
On 5/25/2023 at 1:25 PM, saied said:

Guys we got DS-5535 green slip on Tuesday May 16th. We sent it on May 17th to the email address that was given to us. Our case has not updated and when I check the status on the website it says they have requested us to fill DS 5535 still.

We emailed them to make sure they got it, you can start with that if you are nervous. Other than that I would just wait.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:25 PM, saied said:

Another thing you can do is file a FOIA Request to see why you were refused but thats a whole other ball game

• Captain Ewok changed the title to DS-5535 and Administrative Processing after K1 Visa Interview. What's next?
Timeline
On 5/24/2023 at 6:58 AM, Inveigh said:

Damn its only been updated once? I would contact your State Congressman Representative or Senator to inquire to ensure they have full control over what's going on. Its not uncommon for government entities to make mistakes (for any country for that matter)

My case just got Updated again today and now its Case Last Updated as of 24MAY2023. I hope yours gets an update soon.

Let me know what you find out if you try that option.

Last Thursday I contacted my congressman's office. This morning I got a phone call form his office and they said because administrative processing is a "mandatory security check" there is nothing they can do to help. Disappointing.

The only reason that we are going through additional security check is because she is Iranian. This is profiling and discrimination based on nationality. She had no control over what country she was born in. This is very messed up and unfair.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Catperson_rx said:

This is profiling and discrimination based on nationality.

It is not discrimination.  It is thorough  vetting.  Everyone is vetted.  In some parts of the world, it takes longer.  Iran is not the only country which sees extended AP.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.