redmist

Notifying employer of pending visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello all,

this is a pretty broad topic of question and I was just wondering if any others would be interested in sharing how they went about it.

My (beneficiary, K1 visa) NOA1 is March 28th, so really recent. I am starting a new job and of course one of the questions in the interview were what my future plans are as in: "if you tell me theres a solid reason you're gonna quit in the next 1-3 years I'm probably not gonna hire you." 

I'm from Germany and having to lie about this is really common and and recommended, especially because there is nothing that would have you make to submit that information. 

So, do I bring it up down the line? In my experience anyone I've told that I'm waiting on my visa and trying to explain it to them, they don't understand quite what a long process it is and also how suddenly and quickly things can change and how I only know of a vague time-frame that I can expect to move. 

Or should I wait for my NOA2 and then just quit without a heads-up? Anyway, I'd be interested if there is anyone in the same boots as me inclined to share how they went about it. 

Thanks!

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Dont quit ANYTHING until you have the visa in your passport. Until then,  anything can happen. Even the “simplest” application can have an unexpected issue .. and remember what happened to processing and interviews over 2020-2022 . 

That seems fair. I guess what I forgot to mention as well that we don’t have the “2-weeks notice” here. It’s not really possible to quit on a whim, depending on your contract and time spent in the company it can go up to a “1-month notice” or even “3-month notice” and there is quite a predicament you can get yourself stuck in if you don’t respect your contracts timeline of when to quit til you actually leave the company. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, redmist said:

That seems fair. I guess what I forgot to mention as well that we don’t have the “2-weeks notice” here. It’s not really possible to quit on a whim, depending on your contract and time spent in the company it can go up to a “1-month notice” or even “3-month notice” and there is quite a predicament you can get yourself stuck in if you don’t respect your contracts timeline of when to quit til you actually leave the company. 

You have 6 months .. sometimes a little less .. to enter the US once your visa is issued. Gives you plenty of time to meet your employment requirements 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey!

I‘m from Germany, too and I also had to give 3 month notice to my employer to resign. 
I didn’t tell anyone at work about the visa process until I had the visa in my hand. 
(I was up for promotions during the 2 year visa process and didn’t want to risk being passed up on the promotion due to my leaving plans.)

Only then did I get all my affairs in order. I told my employer of the visa and its expiration date - so giving them even a few weeks more notice than required, because I was asking to transfer within my employer to a US office. 

I actually haven’t entered the US yet. We leave Germany in three weeks, about 4 weeks before the expiration of the visa. 

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the insight! I guess I get a little anxious about the 6-months from the medical exam and hoping the interview will be able to be held soon after so I have a good buffer post-interview to sort things out.

21 hours ago, Caro1 said:

Hey!

I‘m from Germany, too and I also had to give 3 month notice to my employer to resign. 
I didn’t tell anyone at work about the visa process until I had the visa in my hand. 
(I was up for promotions during the 2 year visa process and didn’t want to risk being passed up on the promotion due to my leaving plans.)

Only then did I get all my affairs in order. I told my employer of the visa and its expiration date - so giving them even a few weeks more notice than required, because I was asking to transfer within my employer to a US office. 

I actually haven’t entered the US yet. We leave Germany in three weeks, about 4 weeks before the expiration of the visa. 

Congratulations! I hope everything goes smooth for you and your fiance when you move!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.